Substances That Help Conversion Of Cholesterol Into Downstream Steroids And Bile Acids?

High_Prob

@haidut has mentioned Androsterone (Thyroid mimetic) and Thyroid as substances that can help force 'the conversion of cholesterol into downstream steroids and bile acids'. Are there any other substances that are particularly good at doing this (as opposed to inhibiting cholesterol synthesis)?

Last edited:

johnwester130

It's a good question.

The obvious ones are
methylene blue,
caffeine,
niacinamide,
aspirin,
benzoic acid,

DNP
butylated hydroxytoluene
CGS 23425
Sobetirome
Eprotirome

are lesser known but thyromimetic

Androstenone seems the best one,

Momado965

Yes. Choline bitartrate. I order mine from powder city. My dosage is anywhere from 500-1500mgs a day. I felt good on 1000mg. Great at 1500mg.

Pet Peeve

Hi what in laymans terms downstream steroids?

Vitamin A, tyroid hormone T3 and cholesterol together produce hormones. Not all, but at least the ones Peat is interested in. Hormones are substances that tell cells how to behave. The threadstarter probably has high cholesterol.

Last edited:

DrJ

I've noticed difficulties in digestion when I eat high-fat foods (besides ice cream which seems to be incredibly easy to digest for some reason; it's one of my safety foods. What a great safety food!). I keep some supplemental ox-bile gel tabs around for when I eat these foods and it definitely helps to take one or two. I know that doesn't help your quest for things to improve bile production, but for me it is a nice quick fix.

Vitamin A, tyroid hormone T3 and cholesterol together produce hormones. Not all, but at least the ones Peat is interested in. Hormones are substances that tell cells how to behave. The threadstarter probably has high cholesterol.

Ok thanks for the explanation. Still understanding slowly about supplements/meds here at raypeat

OP
H

High_Prob

Cholesterol: vitamin C controls its transformation to bile acids. - PubMed - NCBI

Cholesterol: vitamin C controls its transformation to bile acids.
Ginter E.
Abstract
Cholesterol accumulates in the blood serum and in the liver of guinea pigs with chronic latent vitamin C deficiency. The reason for this is the decreased rate of transformation of cholesterol to bile acids in the liver of animals deficient in vitamin C. A significant direct correlation exists between the vitamin C concentration in the liver and the rate of cholesterol transformation to bile acids.

whodathunkit

@High_Prob, great question, great thread. Also, nice abstract post #8.

Thanks to all who've answered so far. Keep 'em coming!

johnwester130

@haidut has mentioned Androsterone (Thyroid mimetic) and Thyroid as substances that can help force 'the conversion of cholesterol into downstream steroids and bile acids'. Are there any other substances that are particularly good at doing this (as opposed to inhibiting cholesterol synthesis)?

Coconut oil

"In this situation, however, thyroid isn't suppressing the synthesis of cholesterol, but rather is promoting its use to form hormones and bile salts. "

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml

benaoao

LH and insulin both modulate the translocation of cholesterol into the mitochondria, where sodium seems to limit the activity of the p450SCC whereas Potassium stimulates it

Effects of dietary sodium restriction and potassium intake on cholesterol side-chain cleavage cytochrome P-450 and adrenodoxin mRNA levels - ScienceDirect

That's for the very first step which is cholesterol being converted into pregnenolone, then there are many enzymes involved so I'm not sure how to address this question. A healthy thyroid sure helps so coconut, zinc are solid additions. Caring about bile and stomach acid will help a lot too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals