Subliminal Messages In Politics

sladerunner69

I do se the ebnefit to using anxiety as a marketting tool. As well as the "secret" skittle smessage which would make a kid want to buy the pack

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

I feel like the guy that highlights this kind of thing is the same guy that keeps saying "that's what she said" to everything while elbowing you..
Check out the blog though, when you see all the examples you can't deny it.

Queequeg

I girl with a pee pee on her back would definitely cause some anxiety

Regina

Some more classics: Examine the glove in the first ad. Compare the hockey players fighting with the rest of the people. The man in upper right, with the yellow shirt, and the two hockey players are identical, the same person. They represent the battle with the self, and the helpless feeling that goes along with detachment feom the struggle. The losing hockey player, in the submissive position, can't even get his gloves off. The man on the bottom's glove says "Cooper", one of two major manufacturers of hockey equipment. He is losing. To what? To cancer. That is why the glove from the persona in the dominant position's glove, the one on the ice, says "cancer". The broken cigarette is a symbol of impotence, right out of Freud and Bernay's work. The anxiety provoked naturally causes the viewer to seek its amelioration. This is why this subliminal technique was employed in a tobacco ad. besides the following study, more studies confirming this are avaiable from the site i mentioned in ky opening post.

UNIVERSITY OF BASEL STUDY ON WARNING LABELS:

A study, led by Jochim Hansen of New York University and the University of Basel, was conducted pertaining to the effectiveness of warnings on cigarette labels. Here are some of the results of this study:

"Among the students for whom smoking was important to their self-esteem, those who looked at packets with death-related warnings subsequently reported more positive attitudes to smoking compared with those who looked at death-neutral packets.” 8

“In other words, for smokers who derive a self-esteem boost from smoking, a death-related cigarette packet warning can have the ironic effect of making them want to smoke more, so as to buffer themselves against the depressing reminder of their own mortality.” 9

The study showed “that cigarette packets with death-related warnings were not effective and even caused more positive smoking attitudes.” 10

The researchers concluded “that considering death may make some people smoke.” 11

The second advertisement is a other example of Freud's work being used. Whether or ot one agrees with Freud, his contentions and assertions have been fundamental to the evolution of, and integral to, our culture. The second ad envokes the impotence fear, which in our current culture is tied to the baseless denigration of women, the love of guns, ferverent support for war, &etc, all the things said to be "manly" today, but truly the province of the weak. Regardless, the impotence theme is used to provoke anxiety Anxiety is the fundamental weapon of advertisers and those who formulate ideology because of the natural urge to supress it. The references to "Hard Pack" and "Soft Pack" is an obvious allusion, and the airbrushed **** in the small of the woman's back is further confirmation. Therefore if you're the kind of person who believes this can't be true, then given your race, age, and gender, you are easily classified into a few poseible categories, and attributes of you, and your beliefs, are easily enumerated, because you don't think for yourself, and truly believe you can't be manipulated. What do these manipulatuons sell? Cigarettes, Alcohol. Consider what such devices may be used for on a greater scale.

View attachment 4201 View attachment 4199 View attachment 4200 View attachment 4198View attachment 4204 View attachment 4202 View attachment 4203 View attachment 4205
Oh yeah. My paper was filled with examples like that gin ad. I delivered it in 1977 when I was 16. There was a magazine shop near my house. I noticed it once and then flipped through the mags and found that they were all flagrantly loaded with "messages."

PhilParma

The hockey glove says Cooper. It's just really blurry, so I think someone with schizophrenia opened MS Paint and wrote "cancer" over it. The Bono/Bush/Gaddafi ones come off as insane as well. Someone just graffiti'd their faces--I do it all the time with my newspaper, nothing sinister. I think the cocks in all the Disney stuff is just the animators amusing themselves. The Skittles one is blatant, and probably effective too. Sex candy, yummm.

To me, the idea that people out there brush words onto famous people's faces and think it's subliminal messaging is more likely and scarier than an actual attempt at subliminal messaging. :2cents: I'm not saying you're insane OP--unless you're the one who wrote "Kill Him" on Bono's forehead. Then I might entertain the idea that you are. Reality itself can be subjective though, so I suppose we can create whatever we want until death comes knocking.
:hangingaround

the cocks in all the Disney stuff is just the animators amusing themselves. The Skittles one is blatant, and probably effective too

Exactly. They are design choices made at very low levels.

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

The hockey glove says Cooper. It's just really blurry, so I think someone with schizophrenia opened MS Paint and wrote "cancer" over it. The Bono/Bush/Gaddafi ones come off as insane as well. Someone just graffiti'd their faces--I do it all the time with my newspaper, nothing sinister. I think the cocks in all the Disney stuff is just the animators amusing themselves. The Skittles one is blatant, and probably effective too. Sex candy, yummm.

To me, the idea that people out there brush words onto famous people's faces and think it's subliminal messaging is more likely and scarier than an actual attempt at subliminal messaging. :2cents: I'm not saying you're insane OP--unless you're the one who wrote "Kill Him" on Bono's forehead. Then I might entertain the idea that you are. Reality itself can be subjective though, so I suppose we can create whatever we want until death comes knocking.
:hangingaround
Hey, if you explain away facts, because you don't like how they add up, I think that makes you insane.

PhilParma

OP I didn't read your entire post #19.

"The anxiety provoked naturally causes the viewer to seek its amelioration."

That is interesting, but I still disagree with a lot of it. For example, the guy in the yellow shirt is probably not also playing the hockey players--they're different people. And I still think the other ones were just a paranoid/delusion person writing scary words on portraits.

Amazoniac

Check out the blog though, when you see all the examples you can't deny it.
It's a cool blog. You can see how subtle things impregnate people from examples within the forum; sometimes you find the same expression or articulation coming from different members that posted consecutively.
However, some examples, even the author admits that are just accidents.

I would probably do something similar if I was editing those images for infantile audience, Such_amusement from it.

"This blog was hacked down twice. Apparently someone is not happy with the information I'm sharing here.
If you can make an offline copy of the site's content you're surely advised to do so." :ss

Last edited:
OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

OP I didn't read your entire post #19.

"The anxiety provoked naturally causes the viewer to seek its amelioration."

That is interesting, but I still disagree with a lot of it. For example, the guy in the yellow shirt is probably not also playing the hockey players--they're different people. And I still think the other ones were just a paranoid/delusion person writing scary words on portraits.
They're clearly the same person. Regarding tbe Time magazine covers, I feel like it's a forest-for-the trees type situation. Even if there aren't subliminal messages (I think there are), Time named Hitler man of the year, participated in the lead-up to the Iraq war, and the other wars we're embroiled in, lasting what? 26 years since desert storm. So I don't feel it's unreasonable to presume that any possible method available to Time magazine would be used on the public. Remember the forum we're at: Time magazine has been one of the main purveyors of erroneous health information, health information that i'd thinm we all agree is nothing less than conspiratorial. Moreover, taking a step back and evaluating our society and it's culture, what themes predominate? Well we are evidently fascinated with zombies, war. I believe "dexter" is a show about a benevolent serial killer. All one must do is look around to conclude that, independent in one's belief in the veracity of these methods, we live in a culture already adapted to these baser elements, and therefore I say it would be imprudent to dismiss the influence of media. Really, that is my objective in presenting this evidence that you may be able to diminish and explain away, but not deny: the media is pure manipulation. I contend that only by admitting the possibility can we guard our minds against it. If you want to believe that you are immune to manipulation, that's your business, but that that leaves an endless abyss of inexplicable human history. Who defines insanity? The state, the medical system. Look at this forum and tell me: are we to accept the categorizations of the state and medical system at face value?

OP
goodandevil

goodandevil

It's a cool blog. You can see how subtle things impregnate people from examples within the forum; sometimes you find the same expression or articulation coming from different members that posted consecutively.
However, some examples, even the author admits that are just accidents.

I would probably do something similar if I was editing those images for infantile audience, Such_amusement from it.

"This blog was hacked down twice. Apparently someone is not happy with the information I'm sharing here.
If you can make an offline copy of the site's content you're surely advised to do so." :ss
Yeah I think there's an intersection between culture and subliminal manipulation, but when you consider that the media, in its forms, makes our culture, then the distinction is only between the overt and the hidden, but whether subliminal or conscious, both forms regulate culture.

x-ray peat

People have no idea how much their thoughts are manipulated by the media. Its not by accident that you watch TV programs or programing. Or that actors are called stars which have been historically used for navigation i.e. you follow them. Or that the flicker rate is 60 hz which just so happens to place you in a semi-hypnotic state where you are less resistant to suggestion. Try to talk to a child watching tv and you will know what is going on. Using art to manipulate the public goes back to ancient Greece. Plato warned about its dangers.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals