Subjects Who Drank More Than 2 Cups Of Milk Per Day During Their Midlife Years Had Approximately 40%

shine

Interesting that Parkinson's/fewer dopamine neurons were also associated with heptachlor epoxide (HE). This insecticide has been banned worldwide since 2004. Will be interesting to see if newer studies can replicate the results.

Secretion of Heptachlor Epoxide in Milk - ScienceDirect

This study shows that HE is generally higher in milk than in milk fat, which could explain that the incidence of Parkinson's and cheese consumption had no correlation.

rei

Either you learn about all the confounding factors not thought about in these junk studies, or you stop drinking milk.

The only issue i have with RP:s milk recommendation is that he prefers skim or low fat over whole milk. When proper studies where you truly control for one variable (milk fat content) universally show harm from reduced fat milk compared to whole.

Quelsatron

Either you learn about all the confounding factors not thought about in these junk studies, or you stop drinking milk.

The only issue i have with RP:s milk recommendation is that he prefers skim or low fat over whole milk. When proper studies where you truly control for one variable (milk fat content) universally show harm from reduced fat milk compared to whole.
isn't it just because drinking liters of whole milk will very quickly make you fat?

ljihkugft7

There are so many variables.
The main one, in my opinion, would be
what milk were they drinking?

It could’ve been long life? Which is essentially junk food? (In Kate deerings book)

They were located on an island? I’m not sure about American islands, but islands I’ve been to around Africa always have terrible quality animal products because they have to import them because they don’t have their own farms on the small islands.
So, is it not likely that the milk quality would be quite processed and low?

rei

isn't it just because drinking liters of whole milk will very quickly make you fat?
Only because it is extremely palatable for the energy content. If you don't overfeed you won't get fat. Simply replace other fats in your diet with the milk fat you will be consuming.

I grew up on relatively large 1% milk consumption. When i switched to whole milk and slightly increased amount, started thinking of it as food not drink, only good things followed. The opposite of gaining fat, in fact it seemed like fat mass turned into muscle mass all on it's own. This effect is even more pronounced with beef fat.

This all was nicely confirmed in a study haidut posted where protein intake was not associated with muscle mass, but saturated fat consumption was. After all, muscles live on fat while hard work is done on glucose. Only repair needs protein.

Last edited:

Quelsatron

Only because it is extremely palatable for the energy content. If you don't overfeed you won't get fat. Simply replace other fats in your diet with the milk fat you will be consuming.

I grew up on relatively large 1% milk consumption. When i switched to whole milk and slightly increased amount, started thinking of it as food not drink, only good things followed. The opposite of gaining fat, in fact it seemed like fat mass turned into muscle mass all on it's own. This effect is even more pronounced with beef fat.
I think peats view is that the milk is drank for whatever is in the water soluble phase and that whole milk is more fattening. He seems to believe in calorie restriction not being unimportant in regards to weight gain/weight loss

rei

Yes, he says calorie restriction will lead to stress metabolism and weight gain. He also acknowledges that significant excess calories (like whole milk easily gives) will cause weight gain.

This is irrelevant since if you think of milk as a part of your food, not only something you drink with it, you adjust the rest of the food to accommodate the whole milk.

If you drink more than 1L daily then i can understand the rest coming from skim milk, then it is on par with sugar/protein supplement. But it is not whole food and i don't know of a study displaying better outcome from skim vs. whole.

Mito

fewer dopamine neurons :arghh:
not sure what to think about this.
Doesn’t the study basically conclude that the milk was likely contaminated with organochlorine pesticides which were found “at excessively high levels in the milk supply in Hawaii in the early 1980s”?
“Milk can bioconcentrate certain organic pollutants such as organochlorine pesticides.11 This is potentially noteworthy in Hawaii, where excessively high levels of heptachlor epoxide were reported to be found in the milk supply during the time that participants were being followed in the HAAS.12,13

The study also found that none of the subjects were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, so did the milk protect them from developing PD despite the pesticide?

Dobbler

Was the milk organic? If it was some cheap **** american milk it probably had 1-2 gums like carrageenan.

boris

I think this might be because of the K2 in the milkfat to channel the calcium where it needs to go. A peaty diet might have enough additionals sources of K2 (cheese, liver, greens) to mitigate the missing amount from skim milk.

rei

well all fat solubles will be removed to the degree of fat removal... This will include much more than vitamins btw.

Whole milk is a true superfood. Pasteurized unhomogenized whole milk is somewhat normal. Homogenized is immediately more troublesome, preferably consumed in small gulps throughout the meal. If you want to use milk as food (large peaty amounts) at least make sure it is unhomogenized so the structures are mostly intact. Reduced fat milk becomes a "supplement" to the degree of fat removal.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

not sure what to think about this.

How about nothing? Long term studies are always very loosely done. They don't track subjects much at all, usually checking in with them every few years, and using dietary recall surveys. How accurate do you think those studies are? Do you remember what you had for lunch back on April 23rd, 2019? Now remember every other meal for the past 2 years and report it accurately.

BioLINCC: Honolulu Heart Program (HHP)

Design
The study began in 1965 with the first examination of a cohort of 8,006 Japanese-American men residing on the island of Oahu, Hawaii who were born during the period 1900-1919. The first examination was completed in 1968 and was followed by the initiation of a second examination that same year. Three subsequent sub-examinations (Lipoprotein Exams I, II and III) were conducted between 1970 and 1982 to collect lipid measurements on a subset of those who participated in Exam 2. The fourth examination of surviving members of the original cohort was conducted during 1991-93 and collected data on 3,741 men. Morbidity and mortality follow-up continues through grant and contract-supported efforts, and the current HHP dataset includes events through 1998.

3 examinations over a 12 year period? No examinations at all from 82 to 91?

It's a house of cards built on a foundation of quicksand.

Vegancrossfit

This all was nicely confirmed in a study haidut posted where protein intake was not associated with muscle mass, but saturated fat consumption was. After all, muscles live on fat while hard work is done on glucose. Only repair needs protein.

Do you have this study on hand by chance?

lvysaur

My first thought was bacteria via lactose load. This is because:
When the dairy products were divided into milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream, only milk remained significantly associated with an increased risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.

It's not casein, or else cheese would cause it too. Not whey, because yogurt. And not the fat either.
Also two of these studies were done on highly lactose intolerant populations (Greeks and Japanese), and so the lactose burden from >2 cups could be significant.
Note also that it says midlife milk consumption, which is an age where many people tend to become lactose intolerant regardless of origin.
Effectively this could simply be another "bacteria is bad for you" study.

Last edited:

orewashin

I read a study that showed PUFAs increased muscle mass. It was thought that the higher rate of lipid peroxidation damaged muscle tissue and made it grow larger as a result.