stuffy nose and run down

twinkle

Hi
been doing the peat thing for around 4 month now.
Diet is low fat fish, oysters, liver, oxtail, sweet potatoes, fruit, oj, salt, broth, gelatin and the occasional coffee and chocolate
Been keeping a log and have my ratios balanced and was doing great until about 2 weeks ago when I started getting really stuffed up in my nose..
My temps have risen nicely and my pulse is slowly coming up. Thing is can't seem to shift this feeling snotty in my nose , with yellow boogers in the am ..and every few days I will feel run down .. My calories are up to around 1800 and protein is around 120 ish . I'm female, in my 40's and 5,7
Any suggestions? Wondering if this is some kind of detox

tara

Sounds like a cold from your description. I've found I have much less trouble with a stuffed up nose since learning to keep my mouth shut when I'm not eating or talking, and especially at night. I haven't been doing this regularly myself, but breathing into a paper bag a few times a day to raise CO2 levels may help open your nasal passages.
If you've been under-eating for a long time, that can result in a lot of systems getting run down.
To my eye, the food you describe above looks short on calcium and calories. If milk agrees with you, that might be a good addition. If it doesn't, some people here supplement with egg shell calcium; I use oyster shell.

Mittir

I do not think it is any kind of detox symptoms. You are probably eating some
allergenic food that is causing this problem. You most likely added some new
foods or supplement about 2 weeks ago. It can take up to 2-3 days for food
to trigger symptoms. Fish and Oysters can be a source of allergen unless
these are very very fresh. RP does not recommend sweet potato, because
it is high in carotene and it is a goitrogen. Many people have complained about
OJ causing digestive and allergenic problems. Gelatin and broth can irritate gut
if these are not digested properly. Chocolate can be problematic for some.
RP thinks gut irritation is one of the cause of stuffy nose.
It is safer to change diet slowly and watching for reaction whenever adding a new food.

aguilaroja

twinkle said:
... feeling snotty in my nose , with yellow boogers in the am ..and every few days I will feel run down ...

If there is recent yellow discharge from the nose, acute sinusitis is prominent possibility. Metabolic supports, as described by Mittir for instance, also tend to boost immunity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinusitis

I have found in some situations that a short course (at least 5,000 to 10,000 units daily) of supplemental vitamin D3 speeds recovery from acute infection. Of course, vitamin D absorption from sunlight is best, in sunny warm seasons. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi ... dy-needs/# . For a prolonged and severe bacterial infection, think about seeing a health care provider.

OP
T

twinkle

Thanks for the suggestions and replys. I wondered if it was an allergen but I havent changed anything up or added any new foods in. or any supplements. I had a bacterial infection downstairs a month or so ago and the sinus thing started a few days after...

Mittir

You did not mention carrot salad. RP strongly recommends daily raw carrot salad
or cooked bamboo shoot to lower endotoxin, which plays a big role in hormonal balance
and resistance to infection. RP has mentioned in a KMUD interview how a dentist
cured tooth infection by prescribing laxatives to his patients. Even if you do not eat
allergenic food, improper digestion can increase entodoxin , which causes all sorts of
problems. Bad bacteria thrives on starch and soluble fiber. That is why RP recommends
quick digesting sugars.

OP
T

twinkle

Hi Mittir, also doing carrot salads, sorry I forgot to mention, 2 x a day, also epsom salts baths and eggshell calcium and I live In Hawaii s get plenty of vit d. So maybe it is the starch , the only thing is that I sleep better when I do some starch.. Ughhh and was doing starch from the beginning .. Maybe I will cut back a little and see if it helps .. thanks for your thoughts.. And yes my digestion has always been bad , bad gas ever since childhood

Mittir

I have read that a lot of people living in sunny part of the world are vitamin D deficient.
It is hard to be sure about D status without blood test. When it comes to food intolerance
the best way is elimination diet. I would try removing OJ and Gelatin for few days to see
if these are causing problems. I am peating without OJ and gelatin and i feel much better
than before.

OP
T

twinkle

OK mittir, I will try that, Strangely enough I haven't had either of those today so will continue without for a few days and see what happens.. Thanks for your suggestions =)

OP
T

twinkle

I think the gelatin may have been it, Nose is better today and energy way better too

ilovethesea

I agree with Mittir, most likely an allergenic food eg. the gelatin. It could be your immune system is becoming less suppressed the longer you are off PUFAs. In the first year after finding Ray Peat, I started developing tons of allergies out of nowhere, to foods that were fine before. I had to completely eliminate starches, commercial juices, gelatin, honey and any starchy supplements (even Erfa thyroid and aspirin make me react).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals