Stuffy Nose After Tropicana/generic Orange Juice?

SOMO

This has happened to me a few times - after drinking OJ my nose gets stuffy.
Yesterday it happened to my friend too, I offered him some OJ and he had a big glass and maybe 10 minutes later he got a very stuffy nose seemingly out of random.

4 Possible suspects:

1. Glyphosate
Which is present on most produce, but some popular brands of OJ seem to have significant amounts.

2. Naringenin/Naringin
Both naringenin and naringin inhibiting CYP450 and reduce estrogen detoxification? RP says elevated estrogen can also increase histamine and thus allergic symptoms?
I know RP thinks naringenin is beneficial, but I think it's probably a plant toxin like the flavonoids in grapefruit, albeit weaker at inhibiting liver enzymes.

3. Manufacturing process
I don't make fresh-squeezed OJ often, but I don't think I ever encountered this issue when I squeeze the oranges myself, so perhaps the manufacturing of OJ, like the flavor packs, introduces an allergen?

4. Citric Acid
Unless someone can come up with a plausible mechanism by which Citric Acid can cause a stuffy nose, this sounds unlikely.

Gone Peating

Yea it’s probably the flavor packs or the enzymes they add to dissolve the pulp.

I found a non fresh squeezed kind at my grocery store Wegman’s but not from concentrate and it caused no issues.

But once I tried the Kennesaw cold pressed at whole foods I never looked back. I don’t even care about the price

Mhtro

Is there any benefit (other than saving time) to not make your own orange juice?

Also, should I remove the pulp or keep what gets in?

Ron J

I also had a similar problem but it turned out to be a liquid intake issue that caused a prolactin spike, and it occurred with other juices. How much do you drink at once?

boris

Is there any benefit (other than saving time) to not make your own orange juice?

If it's winter or you live far from the equator and don't have oranges growing locally.

Ray Peat said:
In the winter in the US, I use a lot of frozen orange juice concentrate, because good fruit is scarce

I can't find the quote, but it was something like the stress imported fruit goes through can make it toxic.

boris

- when off-season, says it's better to eat frozen fruit and juice
rather than rely on importation because many studies show that storage
methods and stress from importation and treatments make them carcinogenic.

CLASH

I can drink fresh squeezed and some high quality juices but I cant touch simply orange, tropicana or other lower quality juices without feeling very off.

Kingpinguin

I cant drink tropicana taste so bad. Where i live they sell tons of cold pressed fresh orange juice. 1 liter for 3 usd. You can even squeeze your own through a machine at the grocery store fresh super fast organic oranges. 1 liter 5 usd. Taste so much better. Tropicana with almost all other big brand box juices is pasturised. Tropicana harvest the orange juice then they heat it and freeze it so they always have a freeze stock if theres a bad harvest or if prices goes up one year. So the orange juice like tropicana in store can actually be 2-4 years old frozen juice. I dont trust those companies. Know people who work in the fruit bizniz.

Gone Peating

I cant drink tropicana taste so bad. Where i live they sell tons of cold pressed fresh orange juice. 1 liter for 3 usd. You can even squeeze your own through a machine at the grocery store fresh super fast organic oranges. 1 liter 5 usd. Taste so much better. Tropicana with almost all other big brand box juices is pasturised. Tropicana harvest the orange juice then they heat it and freeze it so they always have a freeze stock if theres a bad harvest or if prices goes up one year. So the orange juice like tropicana in store can actually be 2-4 years old frozen juice. I dont trust those companies. Know people who work in the fruit bizniz.

Where do you live and what grocery store

lampofred

Tropicana gives me major issues but I haven't noticed anything off from Simply Orange even though it's a commercial, non-organic brand like Tropicana.

I read somewhere that glyphosate is particularly high in Tropicana but I don't know how reliable that source is.

L

Lord Cola

Every single commercial fruit juice I've tried gives me digestion problems. Fresh squeezed juice from ripe fruits doesn't. All the different brands of commercial orange juice I tried have something sketchy going on. Some of them won't separate despite companies' claims that they're not from concentrate and don't have any additives in them. Some of them don't go through filter paper. All of them are sour or tart. Any combination of any of these things can cause digestion issues and lead to other health issues.

Grapelander

Look at the ingredients: they add ascorbic acid into the product.
Remember Ray's interview where he noted everyone that took synthetic Vitamin C got cold symptoms.

L

Lord Cola

Has RP talked about carcinogenicity of imported fruits in depth anywhere? All I found was that little bit that @boris quoted a few posts above.

postman

sweden. All our swedish grocery stores does it.
Don't know where in Sweden you live but the packaged unpasteurized non-treated juice is only available in a few metropolitan areas, and it costs like 4 euros for 75 cl. HPP treatead juice is cheaper and more readily available but it's worse. I've only seen those machines where customers can make their own juice in like 1 or 2 locations, in Stockholm.

Kingpinguin

Don't know where in Sweden you live but the packaged unpasteurized non-treated juice is only available in a few metropolitan areas, and it costs like 4 euros for 75 cl. HPP treatead juice is cheaper and more readily available but it's worse. I've only seen those machines where customers can make their own juice in like 1 or 2 locations, in Stockholm.

the machines are likely more rare. Unpasturized is not rare though. 627FEAE9-57AC-4A61-A4AD-CDC7D025983E.jpeg

you got this one all over the place for 25kr which is equall 2,39€ And its cold pressed. Taste good. Much better than any pasturized. But the oranges are likely not organic grown so.
I do live in stockholm but my parents live in a smal town in south of sweden and even there its easy to find and one shop here also has their own orange machine.

postman

the machines are likely more rare. Unpasturized is not rare though. View attachment 16103

you got this one all over the place for 25kr which is equall 2,39€ And its cold pressed. Taste good. Much better than any pasturized. But the oranges are likely not organic grown so.
I do live in stockholm but my parents live in a smal town in south of sweden and even there its easy to find and one shop here also has their own orange machine.
It's not pasteurized but I wouldn't call it raw, they treat it with high pressure. That kind of pressure treatment destroys the same enzymes that pasteurization does. It's better than pastuerized but I wouldn't call it fresh juice.