Studying - A Real Drain? (Weight Loss)

PeatThemAll

Back in school. Eating roughly the same number of calories as usual. I spend around 7-8 hours in a focused/study/alert/caffeinated state, then I stop, drained (lying rest until I feel ready for another round, 5, 6, 7 hours later). Losing weight.

As opposed to this summer when I did mostly physical work, yet got fatter. At a point, I started suspecting cortisol (getting more padded yet tired, à la Cushing's).

Hard to believe how much of a drain that change (physical to mental work) can be. In all fairness, I never liked studying. Surely doesn't help but, hey, first world problems, deal with it, eh?

Maybe that's why Dr. Peat could go up to 8,000 calories a day and remain in shape (during his student / academic years, to my recall) ? Is pushing one's boundaries (adaptation to mental stress) that taxing?

Luann

There's something weird about school work. Don't like it, (but who does), it's almost like forcing things in there, you know. Not really learning them, just storing them, naming them. Ick

chispas

I think the brain burns heaps of energy. I used to eat three breakfasts while studying. It depends what school work you are doing. Learning can be productive and enlightening. Most subjects are about "learning to fit in with the preexisting idiots". Do humanities, where everything is relative and nothing really matters!

OP
P

PeatThemAll

Thanks to all.

I think the brain burns heaps of energy. I used to eat three breakfasts while studying. It depends what school work you are doing. Learning can be productive and enlightening. Most subjects are about "learning to fit in with the preexisting idiots". Do humanities, where everything is relative and nothing really matters!

In STEM... as they say, it's hard for everyone :/

dookie

Back in school. Eating roughly the same number of calories as usual. I spend around 7-8 hours in a focused/study/alert/caffeinated state, then I stop, drained (lying rest until I feel ready for another round, 5, 6, 7 hours later). Losing weight.

As opposed to this summer when I did mostly physical work, yet got fatter. At a point, I started suspecting cortisol (getting more padded yet tired, à la Cushing's).

Hard to believe how much of a drain that change (physical to mental work) can be. In all fairness, I never liked studying. Surely doesn't help but, hey, first world problems, deal with it, eh?

Maybe that's why Dr. Peat could go up to 8,000 calories a day and remain in shape (during his student / academic years, to my recall) ? Is pushing one's boundaries (adaptation to mental stress) that taxing?

Peat also said he would eat extreme amounts of calories when he was working hard physical work in the woods, so I just think he had a high metabolism, not necessarily burning through calories by studying