Study Stating That Unsaturated Fatty Acids Increase Testosterone

Broken man

olive

Might help explain why high PUFA intake increases muscle mass whereas a high SFA intake leads mostly to fat accumulation.

GorillaHead

Might help explain why high PUFA intake increases muscle mass whereas a high SFA intake leads mostly to fat accumulation.
My understanding bodybuilders consume omega 6 and arachidonic acid for anabolic gains. They all want mtor activation. But it’s scary considering it’s consequences on aging.

OLIVE is that you in your profile picture ? If so what’s your diet like and training regimen?

olive

My understanding bodybuilders consume omega 6 and arachidonic acid for anabolic gains. They all want mtor activation. But it’s scary considering it’s consequences on aging.

OLIVE is that you in your profile picture ? If so what’s your diet like and training regimen?
That’s me about 12 months ago. I’m a lot heavier now. Diet for the most part is purple sweet potato, cranberry, apricots, dates, blueberries, pomegranate, tomato, carrot, prawns, oysters, liver, pea pasta, pea protein, dark chocolate, spinach, capsicum/bell peppers, occasional red meat.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with consuming trout or salmon once or twice per week post workout as PUFA is preferentially burned for fuel so I don’t believe I’m likely to store any. My skin and hair health has improved. Can’t say much more because it’s still early days of the experiment.

Training is simple, and 2-3 times a week. I alternate between the following routines. I never work out two days in a row. I rest 2-3 minutes minimum between sets. I don’t have much time so I try to make my time in the gym as efficient as possible. I focus on progressive overload on the major lifts - RDL/squat/OHP. Once I hit the top rep (ie 8 for 2 sets of RDL, I’ll add 2.5kg to that lift the following session and work up to the point where I can do that for 2x8 and repeat)
I also sprint for 10seconds at max effort 2-3 times, 1-2 times per week.
I also try to stretch often but lately haven’t had much time.

A
Snatch grip RDL 2x5-8
Barbell OHP 2x6-8
Weighted chins 2x8-10
Calf raise 1x15

B
Squat 3x6-8
Deficit SLDL 2x8-10
Skullcrusher 2x8-10
Weighted dips 2x8-10
Reverse ez-bar curl 2x12

I alternate up the exercise selection from time to time once progress stalls or I grow bored.

Kartoffel

Good luck increasing your testosterone with more PUFA and less SFA.

J Steroid Biochem. 1984 Jan;20(1):459-64.
Diet and serum sex hormones in healthy men.
Hämäläinen E, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.
Abstract
The possible effect of dietary fat content and the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids (P/S-ratio) on serum sex hormones was studied in 30 healthy male volunteers. The customary diet of the subjects, which supplied 40% of energy as fat (mainly from animal sources, P/S-ratio 0.15) was replaced for a 6 weeks period by a practically isocaloric experimental diet containing significantly less fat (25% of energy) with a higher P/S-ratio (1.22) and other environmental factors were stabilized. Serum testosterone and 4-androstenedione decreased from 22.7 +/- 1.1 nmol/l to 19.3 +/- 1.2 nmol/l, (SEM, P less than 0.001) and from 4.6 +/- 0.2 nmol/l to 4.3 +/- 0.2 nmol/l (SEM, P less than 0.01), respectively. These changes were paralleled by a reduction in serum free (non-protein bound) testosterone (P less than 0.01) suggesting a possible change in biological activity. During the low fat period a significant negative correlation between serum prolactin and androgens was observed. All the changes in androgen levels were reversible. With the exception of a small but non-significant decrease in serum estradiol-17 beta, the other hormone parameters were practically unaffected by the dietary manipulation. Our results indicate that in men a decrease in dietary fat content and an increase in the degree of unsaturation of fatty acids reduces the serum concentrations of androstenedione, testosterone and free testosterone. The mechanism and importance of this phenomenon is discussed in the light of epidemiological and experimental data.

Nutr Cancer. 2000;38(2):163-7.
Relationships between types of fat consumed and serum estrogen and androgen concentrations in Japanese men.
Nagata C1, Takatsuka N, Kawakami N, Shimizu H.

The relationships between types of fat consumed and serum concentrations of estrone, estradiol, total and free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and sex hormone-binding globulin were examined in 69 Japanese men aged 43-88 years. Diet was assessed by a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Intake of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats was inversely correlated with serum total testosterone after controlling for age, total energy, body mass index, alcohol intake, and smoking status, but the correlation was statistically significant only for polyunsaturated fat (r = -0.29, p = 0.02). Intakes of eicosapentanoic and docosahexaenoic acids, n-3 fatty acids from fish, were significantly inversely correlated with total testosterone (r = -0.25, p = 0.04 and r = -0.32, p = 0.01, respectively). Serum estrone, estradiol, and free testosterone were not significantly correlated with any type of fat studied. The correlations of total testosterone with n-3 fatty acids from fish remained significant after additional adjustment for the other categories of fat (r = -0.27, p = 0. 03 for eicosapentanoic acid and r = -0.32, p = 0.01 for docosahexaenoic acid), while the correlations with saturated and monounsaturated fats.

J Steroid Biochem. 1983 Mar;18(3):369-70.
Decrease of serum total and free testosterone during a low-fat high-fibre diet.
Hämäläinen EK, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.

The concentrations of serum total and free testosterone were studied in 30 healthy, middle-aged men during a dietary intervention program. When men were transferred from their customary diet to an experimental diet, which contained less fat with a higher polyunsaturated/saturated ratio (P/S-ratio) and more fibre, there was a significant decrease in serum total testosterone concentrations (22.7 +/- 1.2 vs 19.3 +/- 1.1 nmol/l SEM, P less than 0.001). Furthermore, serum free, unbound testosterone fell from 0.23 +/- 0.01 to 0.20 +/- 0.01 nmol/l SEM (P less than 0.01). The hormonal changes were reversible. This observation suggests that testosterone activity in plasma can at least partly be modified by changing the composition of the diet.

schultz

PUFA is preferentially burned for fuel so I don’t believe I’m likely to store any

Ray has stated several times that the exact opposite is true, that saturated fat is preferentially burned and PUFA is stored. That doesn't mean Ray is right and you're wrong, but you must have a reason for stating this, so I am curious as to what you base this off of? Or do you mean specifically post workout? If the latter is the case, I would still be interested in reading about it.

redsun

Before finding Peat my diet was basically chicken strips fried in oil with pasta, hot cheetos and chick fil a chicken sandwich and fries(all fried in peanut oil) and sodas. I was also very lean and muscular during this time.

Most important part of his routine are 50g of anabolic arachidonic acid applied on the testicles. :cool
Arachidonic acid is toxic of course. That's why our body will make it when our diet doesn't have any. Wait...

olive

Ray has stated several times that the exact opposite is true, that saturated fat is preferentially burned and PUFA is stored. That doesn't mean Ray is right and you're wrong, but you must have a reason for stating this, so I am curious as to what you base this off of? Or do you mean specifically post workout? If the latter is the case, I would still be interested in reading about it.
Ray has been proven wrong on that point and a few others. There’s many posts on this very forum discussing this PUFA/SFA burn if you want to dig deeper.
Ray is a great thinker but he shouldn’t be taken as gospel.

olive

Good luck increasing your testosterone with more PUFA and less SFA.

J Steroid Biochem. 1984 Jan;20(1):459-64.
Diet and serum sex hormones in healthy men.
Hämäläinen E, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.
Abstract
The possible effect of dietary fat content and the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids (P/S-ratio) on serum sex hormones was studied in 30 healthy male volunteers. The customary diet of the subjects, which supplied 40% of energy as fat (mainly from animal sources, P/S-ratio 0.15) was replaced for a 6 weeks period by a practically isocaloric experimental diet containing significantly less fat (25% of energy) with a higher P/S-ratio (1.22) and other environmental factors were stabilized. Serum testosterone and 4-androstenedione decreased from 22.7 +/- 1.1 nmol/l to 19.3 +/- 1.2 nmol/l, (SEM, P less than 0.001) and from 4.6 +/- 0.2 nmol/l to 4.3 +/- 0.2 nmol/l (SEM, P less than 0.01), respectively. These changes were paralleled by a reduction in serum free (non-protein bound) testosterone (P less than 0.01) suggesting a possible change in biological activity. During the low fat period a significant negative correlation between serum prolactin and androgens was observed. All the changes in androgen levels were reversible. With the exception of a small but non-significant decrease in serum estradiol-17 beta, the other hormone parameters were practically unaffected by the dietary manipulation. Our results indicate that in men a decrease in dietary fat content and an increase in the degree of unsaturation of fatty acids reduces the serum concentrations of androstenedione, testosterone and free testosterone. The mechanism and importance of this phenomenon is discussed in the light of epidemiological and experimental data.

Nutr Cancer. 2000;38(2):163-7.
Relationships between types of fat consumed and serum estrogen and androgen concentrations in Japanese men.
Nagata C1, Takatsuka N, Kawakami N, Shimizu H.

The relationships between types of fat consumed and serum concentrations of estrone, estradiol, total and free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and sex hormone-binding globulin were examined in 69 Japanese men aged 43-88 years. Diet was assessed by a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Intake of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats was inversely correlated with serum total testosterone after controlling for age, total energy, body mass index, alcohol intake, and smoking status, but the correlation was statistically significant only for polyunsaturated fat (r = -0.29, p = 0.02). Intakes of eicosapentanoic and docosahexaenoic acids, n-3 fatty acids from fish, were significantly inversely correlated with total testosterone (r = -0.25, p = 0.04 and r = -0.32, p = 0.01, respectively). Serum estrone, estradiol, and free testosterone were not significantly correlated with any type of fat studied. The correlations of total testosterone with n-3 fatty acids from fish remained significant after additional adjustment for the other categories of fat (r = -0.27, p = 0. 03 for eicosapentanoic acid and r = -0.32, p = 0.01 for docosahexaenoic acid), while the correlations with saturated and monounsaturated fats.

J Steroid Biochem. 1983 Mar;18(3):369-70.
Decrease of serum total and free testosterone during a low-fat high-fibre diet.
Hämäläinen EK, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.

The concentrations of serum total and free testosterone were studied in 30 healthy, middle-aged men during a dietary intervention program. When men were transferred from their customary diet to an experimental diet, which contained less fat with a higher polyunsaturated/saturated ratio (P/S-ratio) and more fibre, there was a significant decrease in serum total testosterone concentrations (22.7 +/- 1.2 vs 19.3 +/- 1.1 nmol/l SEM, P less than 0.001). Furthermore, serum free, unbound testosterone fell from 0.23 +/- 0.01 to 0.20 +/- 0.01 nmol/l SEM (P less than 0.01). The hormonal changes were reversible. This observation suggests that testosterone activity in plasma can at least partly be modified by changing the composition of the diet.
Study one and three just show that low fat = less androgens, which we already know.
Study two is simply a correlation.

A.R

That’s me about 12 months ago. I’m a lot heavier now. Diet for the most part is purple sweet potato, cranberry, apricots, dates, blueberries, pomegranate, tomato, carrot, prawns, oysters, liver, pea pasta, pea protein, dark chocolate, spinach, capsicum/bell peppers, occasional red meat.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with consuming trout or salmon once or twice per week post workout as PUFA is preferentially burned for fuel so I don’t believe I’m likely to store any. My skin and hair health has improved. Can’t say much more because it’s still early days of the experiment.

Training is simple, and 2-3 times a week. I alternate between the following routines. I never work out two days in a row. I rest 2-3 minutes minimum between sets. I don’t have much time so I try to make my time in the gym as efficient as possible. I focus on progressive overload on the major lifts - RDL/squat/OHP. Once I hit the top rep (ie 8 for 2 sets of RDL, I’ll add 2.5kg to that lift the following session and work up to the point where I can do that for 2x8 and repeat)
I also sprint for 10seconds at max effort 2-3 times, 1-2 times per week.
I also try to stretch often but lately haven’t had much time.

A
Snatch grip RDL 2x5-8
Barbell OHP 2x6-8
Weighted chins 2x8-10
Calf raise 1x15

B
Squat 3x6-8
Deficit SLDL 2x8-10
Skullcrusher 2x8-10
Weighted dips 2x8-10
Reverse ez-bar curl 2x12

I alternate up the exercise selection from time to time once progress stalls or I grow bored.
How often do you eat liver, and how do you cook it?

OP
Broken man

Broken man

Study one and three just show that low fat = less androgens, which we already know.
Study two is simply a correlation.
Ye but I believe you saw a study by haidut where methyl palmitate increased androgens And also study about palmitic And stearic acid protective for liver against alcohol. I Will try to find study about coconut oil and lard, lard made better hormonal profile.

rob

Hi olive, interesting diet selection... lots of good stuff in there.

Just wondering how you hit your caloric needs, especially with the exercise? Are you eating a lot of sweet potato and/or fruits as, bar the dark chocolate, most of your regular foods look very low fat.

Ritchie

Ye but I believe you saw a study by haidut where methyl palmitate increased androgens And also study about palmitic And stearic acid protective for liver against alcohol. I Will try to find study about coconut oil and lard, lard made better hormonal profile.
You can't look at individual isolated one off studies and draw conclusions off them, that is a MASSIVE mistake, particularly if they are animal studies (even worse if they are in vitro). What you need to do is look at accumulations of well designed studies (mainly on humans), and see what the general trend of the results from all of them indicate. Finding an individual study that managed to show methyl palmitate increased androgens in rats, or one study showing stearic acid protecting some part of the liver from alcohol will not tell you a thing in regards to any pragmatic conclusions. Not saying that this may not be the case, just highlighting that this isn't the way to go about concluding such.

Last edited:
OP
Broken man

Broken man

You can't look at individual isolated one off studies and draw conclusions off them, that is a MASSIVE mistake, particularly if they are animal studies (even worse if they are in vitro). What you need to do is look at accumulations of well designed studies (mainly on humans), and see what the general trend of the results from all of them indicate. Finding an individual study that managed to show methyl palmitate increased androgens in rats, or one study showing stearic acid protecting some part of the liver from alcohol will not tell you a thing in regards to any pragmatic conclusions. Not saying that this may not be the case, just highlighting that this isn't the way to go about concluding such.
Androgenic effect of honeybee drone milk in castrated rats: roles of methyl palmitate and methyl oleate. - PubMed - NCBI
Error - Cookies Turned Off
Dietary saturated fatty acids down-regulate cyclooxygenase-2 and tumor necrosis factor alfa and reverse fibrosis in alcohol-induced liver disease in the rat. MCT and Palm oil
SATURATED FAT INGESTION REGULATES ANDROGEN CONCENTRATIONS AND MAY INFLUENCE LEAN BODY MASS ACCRUAL
@olive

Last edited:

rob

@Broken man Off the top of my head, wouldn’t olive oil be optimal on the steroid/androgen synthesis front due to its high squalene content?