Study: Music With 190 Bpm Improves Your Workouts

berk

Music allows you to train more intensively, without experiencing this improved training as heavier or tiring. This is apparent from a study that Croatian and Italian researchers published in Frontiers in Psychology. The performance-enhancing effect of music manifests itself especially in endurance training, but strength athletes can benefit from it as well.

Study
The researchers got 19 female fitness enthusiasts aged 24-31 on different occasions to walk 10 minutes at a brisk pace on a treadmill or do leg presses.
The leg press work out meant that the women had to make a set of 10 reps with increasingly heavier weights. On the basis of the last completed set, the researchers calculated the weight with which the women could just make 1 rep [1RM].
Sometimes the women trained without music [NM]. Other times the women trained while listening to pop music with a tempo of 90-110 beats per minute [LOW], 130-150 beats per minute [MED] or 170-190 beats per minute [HIGH].

Results
Especially in the treadmill session, music lifted the physical performance to a higher level. When the test subjects walked on the treadmill, their heart rate rose as they listened to music. The more beats per minute, the greater the increase in heart rate.

music-exercise-rpe-2.gif

music-exercise-rpe-3.gif

The same was the case when the students had to make leg presses. If they listened to the music at 170-190 beats per minute, their calculated 1RM was a significant 3 kilos higher than under the other conditions.

In the table below - click on it for a readable version - you can see which differences were statistically significant and which were not.

music-exercise-rpe-4-small.gif

Although music encouraged test subjects to train more intensively, music also reduced the feeling of tiredness and physical stress. The higher the tempo of the music, the stronger the effect. This was especially the case with the endurance session.

music-exercise-rpe-small.gif

Conclusie
"Listening to high-tempo music while exercising resulted in the highest heart rate and lowest perceived exertion compared with not listening to music", tells co-author Luca Ardigo of the University of Verona in Italy in a press release. [sciencedaily.com February 2, 2020]

"This means that the exercise seemed like less effort, but it was more beneficial in terms of enhancing physical fitness."

"In the current study, we investigated the effect of music tempo in exercise, but in the future we would also like to study the effects of other music features such as genre, melody, or lyrics, on endurance and high intensity exercise", says Ardigo.

Source:
Front Psychol. 2020;11:74.

Lets go!!

Quelsatron

yep, I believe it
I used to ride an exercise bike like a year ago, and it was so absurdly boring that the only way I could muster the motivation to ride it was to put on my most energetic music. It probably should translate to exercise that is actually fun as well

Hgreen56

i was looking at "dopamine music" on youtube and all tracks are "serotonin dopamine release tracks."
2 completely opposite things.
These people have no clue what they are doing.

orewashin

i was looking at "dopamine music" on youtube and all tracks are "serotonin dopamine release tracks."
2 completely opposite things.
These people have no clue what they are doing.
It's more like fast-tempo is sympathetic and slow-tempo is parasympathetic.

Search for nightcore music.