Study Inadvertently Shows That Omega-3 Fats Increase Intracellular Reactive Oxygen Species

stargazer1111

I ran across this study done in 2014 showing that Omega-3 fatty acids inhibit the increase in reactive oxygen species production and mitochondrial damage to heart cells when they are poisoned with doxorubicin.

However, the authors fail to acknowledge the fact that figure 5 shows a significant increase in intracellular reactive oxygen species in cells treated only with EPA or DHA (no doxorubicin) when compared with cells treated with nothing.

This study clearly demonstrates the toxicity of both EPA and DHA to non-poisoned cells and they didn't even acknowledge the finding. Not only this, but the results of figure 5 directly contradict the "anti-inflammatory" properties they attribute to omega-3 fatty acids in the discussion section.

Very bad science, this is.

Attachments

• Bad PUFA ROS Science Copy.pdf
    797.9 KB · Views: 12

Cirion

Good find. I'm attaching the figure so it is easier to see without hunting for it.

upload_2019-8-30_14-8-53.png

EPA more than doubles ROS and DHA almost triples ROS. Fun times. Make sure you have your fish oil, folks! And don't forget all your fatty fish...

OP
S

stargazer1111

The other funny point to make is that the poison DOX actually seems to DECREASE the production of ROS (albeit insignificantly) when compared to EPA or DHA alone.

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

Mufasa

Good find. I'm attaching the figure so it is easier to see without hunting for it.

View attachment 14502

EPA more than doubles ROS and DHA almost triples ROS. Fun times. Make sure you have your fish oil, folks! And don't forget all your fatty fish...

I thought oxidative metabolism is the main driver of ROS generation, and that low ROS is a sign of reductive stress.

BigChad

The other funny point to make is that the poison DOX actually seems to DECREASE the production of ROS (albeit insignificantly) when compared to EPA or DHA alone.

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

Cooked fatty fish would be more harmful than a 1g fish oil capsule right? Or are there any protective elements in fresh cooked fatty fish.

OP
S

stargazer1111

I thought oxidative metabolism is the main driver of ROS generation, and that low ROS is a sign of reductive stress.

Although it is possible to get to the other extreme of reductive stress, I think it's much more difficult.

What you want is controlled ROS production at the appropriate times. The immune system relies on selective ROS production which I think can be accomplished simply using the mead acid we produce along with the tiny amounts of PUFA we get incidentally from animal fats/coconut oil but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

ROS production at inappropriate times is the real issue and this occurs when your body starts burning PUFA for energy which seems to occur at around 4% of calories or more. The higher the concentration of PUFA in the blood, the more likely inappropriate oxidation is occurring since the temperature is high and the oxygen concentration is relatively high.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Cooked fatty fish would be more harmful than a 1g fish oil capsule right? Or are there any protective elements in fresh cooked fatty fish.

I think there are likely protective elements in the fatty fish, but I'm uncertain as to how protective they are.

Ray mentioned in his writings a man who lived entirely off salmon for a long time and he developed neurodegeneration (although I can't prove causality in this case).

Fatty fish has the same effect as oil supplements for me. I get extremely fatigued, cold, and start yawning a lot.

Interestingly, too much vitamin C causes the same problem which makes me suspect too much vitamin C causes reductive stress like what Mufasa mentioned in their post.

Cirion

Fatty fish, anecdotally, are the most anti-metabolic foods available for me as well.

Last Christmas I ate a lot of fatty fish as an experiment to prove/disprove Dr. Kruse's fanaticism with fish, and well, it was a disaster. My fatigue was so strong I'd sleep 16 hrs a day (not a typo).

I've basically never doubted Ray on PUFA's ever since that experiment.

Although it is possible to get to the other extreme of reductive stress, I think it's much more difficult.

What you want is controlled ROS production at the appropriate times. The immune system relies on selective ROS production which I think can be accomplished simply using the mead acid we produce along with the tiny amounts of PUFA we get incidentally from animal fats/coconut oil but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

ROS production at inappropriate times is the real issue and this occurs when your body starts burning PUFA for energy which seems to occur at around 4% of calories or more. The higher the concentration of PUFA in the blood, the more likely inappropriate oxidation is occurring since the temperature is high and the oxygen concentration is relatively high.
Also, PUFA lowers CO2, which is antioxidant, so getting ROS from PUFA( less CO2) and getting ROS from sucrose( more CO2) are very different, right?