Study Finds Horrifying Link Between Scented Candles And Health Problems

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Woman's Day and The Daily Mail have published results from multiple studies that link scented candles to major health risks — as serious as lung damage and birth defects.
What's even worse is that candles aren't the only culprits; scented aerosols, gels, and plug-ins are among "an array of hazardous substances which may cause lung damage and tumors, interfere with our hormones, and cause such lifelong problems as asthma," The Daily Mail reports. The scariest part? You don't even have to light the candles to be affected because "simple evaporation" can release the pollutants into the air.
Expectant mothers might want to be especially cautious of the types of candles they bring into their homes. Some studies' evidence suggests that hazardous substances can affect hormones, and in turn, cause problems with babies' hormonal development.
More at link: Study Finds Horrifying Link Between Scented Candles and Health Problems

Who doesn't get headaches from those things? Normal candles are dangerous too, I hear.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
All candles? I wonder if there'd be a difference between soy wax and the old-fashioned tallow ones.

I think no combustion can be perfect and there will always be at least some carbon monoxide. Ray Peat really hates any amount of carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide isn't the only problem. Combustion of organic matter also produces a ton of carcinogens.
"Three classes of chemicals occurring in combustion processes have received
a lot of attention because of their carcinogenic potential: The dioxins,
rating among the most toxic substances known to mankind; the nitrosamines,
some of which are also produced when meat is fried or smoked, but which
also occur in cigarette smoke; and finally, the polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons (PAHs); these contain phenolic ring structures and are thus
especially stable; very high burn temperatures are needed to break them
down. This class is especially relevant as a source of environmental
carcinogens because they are produced in the combustion of fuels,
especially wood and fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas). They also arise in the
combustion of household/industrial wastes when older, outdated combustion
facilities are used." Source: Re: Is all smoke carcinogenic ?

Vajra

Who doesn't get headaches from those things? Normal candles are dangerous too, I hear.
How normal is normal? I'm thinking beeswax and coconut wax candles are probably safe in the way of not having endocrine effects even if they have a strong scent, right?
Good points in this thread about carbon monoxide and combustion though.