Study: Excessive ingestion of honey has long lasting feminization tendency.

jet9

Stumbled upon following study: https://www.bibliomed.org/mnsfulltext/53/53-1336645760.pdf?1615118797

Study in male rats,
3 groups:
group 1 - 5ml/kg of honey twice a week for 10weeks;
group 2 - 7.5ml/kg of honey twice a week for 10weeks;
group 3 - control

At the end of the 10 weeks
Group 1Group 2Group 3
FSH(miu/ml)0.73± 0.120.16± 0.040.52± 0.19
LH (miu/ml)0.06± 0.09*0.24± 0.05*3.94± 0.43
Testosterone (ng/ml)0.98± 0.380.42± 0.05*0.46± 0.07*
Progesterone (ng/ml)12.84± 0.336.27± 0.662.59± 0.29
Prolactine (ng/ml)6.29± 0.437.75± 0.492.40± 0.43

10 weeks after
Group 1Group 2Group 3
FSH(miu/ml)26.20±1.8711.02±1.410.52±0.19
LH(miu/ml)16.79*±1.2016.36*±0.773.94±0.43
Testosterone(ng/ml)0.32±0.070.01±0.010.46±0.07
Progesterone(ng/ml)15.01±1.150.23±0.232.59±0.29
Prolactin(ng/ml)7.59±0.3522.66±1.852.40±0.43

The astronomical increase in the serum levels of the reproductive hormones except testosterone after ten weeks of treatment rest is an indication that the effect continued after cessation of treatment. Since the female sex hormones were the ones on the increase and testosterone on the decrease, it could be deduced that excessive ingestion of honey has feminization tendency.

Jon2547

Ok that is concerning. I've been downing the honey lately.

PxD

5ml per kg per week would be 800ml per week for a 80kg male, which is a lot. It’s about 7 tablespoons a day.

What would the adjustment factor for rat versus human metabolism be, if we wanted to compare apples to apples?

schultz

It doesn't say what kind of honey was used, just that it was bought locally (in Nigeria I guess?) This would be the most important thing to know as it would likely be phyto chemicals in the honey exerting its effect, or even local pesticides as residue in the honey. But I'm not enthusiastic about the study design either (feeding honey through oral tube, and why only twice per week?) Also I can't tell how much honey they were consuming. In the study they say it's "excessive". Excessive amounts of honey twice a week through oral tube doesn't seem like a good way to eat honey.

Hans

Forum Supporter
There are actually quite a few studies on honey and testosterone and the majority of them show that honey increases testosterone.

"In conclusion, the collective evidence, which is mainly based on in vivo system studies, reveals that oral administration of honey increases serum testosterone level in males. Mechanistically, honey may increase serum level of testosterone by increasing the production of luteinizing hormone, enhancing the viability of Leydig cells, reducing oxidative damage in Leydig cells, enhancing StAR gene expression, and inhibiting aromatase activity in the testes."

I've been having around 16 tbsp of honey lately and only noticing benefits, including muscle fullness and hardness.

schultz

5ml per kg per week would be 800ml per week for a 80kg male, which is a lot. It’s about 7 tablespoons a day.

Right, and the study says they gave the animals honey twice a week so it's not even split up into 7 different days. So 24.5 TBSP at a time for a human, or a cup and a half twice a week deposited into your stomach via tube.

Missenger

Honey can be good or slightly inflammatory in excess depending on the farmer and variety of crop they use to harvest it, like a lot of foods. It can also get allergenic if you only eat one kind for a while instead of eating several instead and balancing it out.

Last edited:

Jennifer

I've been having around 16 tbsp of honey lately and only noticing benefits, including muscle fullness and hardness.

Same here. I’ve been averaging 227 g of raw honey daily and have only noticed benefits, particularly with my blood sugar and digestion.

GreekDemiGod

A bit off a tangent, but can somebody told me why we put so much faith in rat studies on this forum, when mainstream nutrition / researchers disregard them, saying we can't extrapolate that to humans?

schultz

A bit off a tangent, but can somebody told me why we put so much faith in rat studies on this forum, when mainstream nutrition / researchers disregard them, saying we can't extrapolate that to humans?

Because they are very controllable and can be done in a relatively short timespan allowing us to run studies that would be impossible in humans. To do an equivalent study in humans you would have to control what someone eats for 80 years under very strict conditions (so basically impossible).

Most mammals are quite similar. We have all of the same hormones and same body parts and run off the same energy sources, need the same micronutrients. Actually most organisms are quite similar. But obviously there can be small and crucial differences. Nocturnal animals for example might give strange results with certain hormones.

Cloudhands

I mean, honey is therepeutic in the context of being insulin sensitive and having ample amounts of micronutrients. I also assume the honey was in excess of their usual diet, meaning they had a large caloric excess, which can be feminizing sure

mrchibbs

Agree. How is it that 5 ml/kg honey doubles testosterone and progesterone, while 7.5 ml/kg honey brings it back to baseline?

That makes literally no sense lol.

Fairly confident saying this study is hot garbage.

Dr. B

There are actually quite a few studies on honey and testosterone and the majority of them show that honey increases testosterone.

"In conclusion, the collective evidence, which is mainly based on in vivo system studies, reveals that oral administration of honey increases serum testosterone level in males. Mechanistically, honey may increase serum level of testosterone by increasing the production of luteinizing hormone, enhancing the viability of Leydig cells, reducing oxidative damage in Leydig cells, enhancing StAR gene expression, and inhibiting aromatase activity in the testes."

whats your overall diet, and macronutrients carbs fats protein? i have been having a lot of honey, but its more around 10 tbsp a day, do you make sure its organic and raw honey? apparently honey is supposed to be crystallized and lighter in color...

Hans

Forum Supporter
whats your overall diet, and macronutrients carbs fats protein? i have been having a lot of honey, but its more around 10 tbsp a day, do you make sure its organic and raw honey? apparently honey is supposed to be crystallized and lighter in color...
I posted a screenshot of my diet in the fat loss thread. Yes I get raw and organic honey straight from the farm.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Same here. I’ve been averaging 227 g of raw honey daily and have only noticed benefits, particularly with my blood sugar and digestion.
Yes for sure. Very good, clean energy.

Nomane Euger

I posted a screenshot of my diet in the fat loss thread. Yes I get raw and organic honey straight from the farm.
Hi hans,do you eat this quantity of honey one shot or do you split it up through the day?how much do you eat per serving?how the glucose/fructose ratio of the honey you are eating seems to be?honey that seems to be higher fructose like acacia give me the worst stomach ache i ever got,it literally paralyse me and i get similar pain in the neck and in the back.on the other hand higer glucose honey i can handle 200 grammes and more and feel like BANE

Back
Top Bottom