Study confirms science behind serotonin and depression is backwards

haidut

Forum Supporter
What can I say - Ray is right once again, which we knew from the start. In the words of the actual study - "serotonin is a downer". It appears SSRIs work by forcing the brain to achieve homeostasis, not by modulating serotonin levels. Again, Ray did say that as well - i.e. drug companies did not really know how their SSRI drugs work.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3415000287
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 114119.htm

"...The low-serotonin theory is the basis for commonly prescribed anti-depressant medications called selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, or SSRIs, which keep the neurotransmitter's levels high by blocking its re-absorption into the cells that release it. Those serotonin-boosting medications actually make it harder for patients to recover, especially in the short term, says lead author Paul Andrews, an assistant professor of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour at McMaster...When depressed patients on SSRI medication do show improvement, it appears that their brains are actually overcoming the effects of anti-depressant medications, rather than being assisted directly by them. Instead of helping, the medications appear to be interfering with the brain's own mechanisms of recovery."

"...The best available evidence appears to show that there is more serotonin being released and used during depressive episodes, not less, the authors say. The paper suggests that serotonin helps the brain adapt to depression by re-allocating its resources, giving more to conscious thought and less to areas such as growth, development, reproduction, immune function, and the stress response."

mujuro

I wonder if the same can be said of tricyclics, which without a doubt lift my moods out of depression.

miko

Tricyclics are SNRI's with serotonin receptor antagonist properties (mainly 5-HT2a and 5-HT2c, 5-HT3 and 5-HT7), so it's difficult to compare this drugs. Tricyclics (exept clomipramine) are far less potent in blocking SERT than SSRI's. For example: amitriptyline SERT blockade is about 3-67 nm (depends on the study) and paroxetine SERT blockade is about 0.08-0.29 nm.

jaa

You're on a roll haidut! Thanks for all the contributions you've made to the forum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jaa said:
You're on a roll haidut! Thanks for all the contributions you've made to the forum.

Thanks! I think it's more due to the fact that the house of cards we call "medicine" is falling apart at an accelerated rate over the last few weeks so there were a lot of news and a stimulus for me to do more reading.

Peata

I appreciate the work you do as well. I wish the forum still had the upvote/like feature so one could give feedback without always making a new post. Anyway - :1

chris

Thanks from me as well haidut, the studies you post are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum.

narouz

I have suggested the creation of a
Ray Peat Forum Hall of Fame
so that we would have a fitting place to put haidut. :D

CCD

Just tried my first dose of tianeptine - a serotinin reuptake enhancer - immediately felt better...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
I have suggested the creation of a
Ray Peat Forum Hall of Fame
so that we would have a fitting place to put haidut. :D

Lol, thanks.
Instead of Hall of Fame, maybe we should start a Wikipedia page on Peat with links to specific questions / topics back to this forum. Many people are asking me if they can find summary of Peat with some guidelines and most think it would come from Wikipedia. I don't know why, maybe most people think that the definitions and summaries on people and their ideas come from Wikipedia.

answersfound

mujuro said:
I wonder if the same can be said of tricyclics, which without a doubt lift my moods out of depression.

Same here. But cyproheptadine makes me extremely depressed. I have tried it on and off for a couple years now. Amitriptyline helps for sure.

jandrade1997

While I don't post often in this forum, and I'm more active on peatarian, I'd like to jump in and thank Haidut as well. You always provide fantastic information.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jandrade1997 said:
While I don't post often in this forum, and I'm more active on peatarian, I'd like to jump in and thank Haidut as well. You always provide fantastic information.

Thanks, I very much appreciate the nice words!
Since I don't maintain presence on Peatarian.com please feel free to take for my posts what interests you and post it over there:):

RPDiciple

I will like to jump on board, even though i dont reply to all your started threads haidut i love them all.

Means the world that you put out all the studies and wirte about them.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
RPDiciple said:
I will like to jump on board, even though i dont reply to all your started threads haidut i love them all.

Means the world that you put out all the studies and wirte about them.

Thank you! I hope that little by little we will gather enough knowledge that everybody on the forum can build a practical approach to maintaining their health.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals