Studies on over drinking water

Blinkyrocket

I'm currently in a heated debate over water drinking and have been presented with this: Boschmann, M. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, December 2003; vol. 88: pp. 6015-6019. Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD,spokeswoman, American Dietetic Association; director, sports nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Daniel Moser, PhD, exercise physiologist, Elite Health and Wellness, Philadelphia.

Any help in disproving this and some studies against excessive water consumption? :D

XPlus

This culture of throwing back studies at each other in discussions is as mindless as discussing religious differences.
There's no right or wrong. There are things that are better, more spot on, more accurate, closer to reality. It's all relative.

Estrogen could be thought of as an anabolic hormone because it builds muscles, however, it would be more accurate to depict as a stress hormone because of the degenerative processes it involves.

The logic behind some studies is't as intelligent as logic behind a cat biting its tail

Use competence of reason to back your ideas don't just rely on studies.

Water dehydration and water intoxication are two extremes. The right amount of water to be ingested has to be in balance between the two.
Either less water or excess water distorts that balance.

When you play with the aqua balance of chemical solutions, there's a tendency for that new balance to influence reactions.

The body is just a warehouse full of chemical reactions and water in excess distorts the chemical balance inside the body.

Also, living cells, are known to have electrical properties. Any distortion of their water content will be at the expense of the salts dissolved in that water (i.e. at the expense of the electrical properties).

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

But moooooom.... :P this was on a post telling people to drink a gallon of water a day, just wanted to keep people from dying :S

XPlus

Stir emotions and redirect them to raypeat.com, young disciple.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Heh heh, he gave up when I mentioned estrogen >:)

I did put up one article, so that has been done.

tara

XPlus said:
Water dehydration and water intoxication are two extremes. The right amount of water to be ingested has to be in balance between the two.

When you play with the aqua balance of chemical solutions, there's a tendency for that new balance to influence reactions.

The body is just a warehouse full of chemical reactions and water in excess distorts the chemical balance inside the body.

Also, living cells, are known to have electrical properties. Any distortion of their water content will be at the expense of the salts dissolved in that water (i.e. at the expense of the electrical properties).
Nice summary.

Mainstream knowledge:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Some people can use a gallon of water, if they have a strong metabolism, live in a warm climate or exercise hard and long. Probably requires a nutritious diet to replace minerals lost to sweat etc.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

tara said:
XPlus said:

Nice summary.

Mainstream knowledge:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Some people can use a gallon of water, if they have a strong metabolism, live in a warm climate or exercise hard and long. Probably requires a nutritious diet to replace minerals lost to sweat etc.
Yeah, I would like to be at a point like that O_O but the post was about "forcing" yourself to drink a gallon of water and powering through it, "no pain, no gain" "you'll get used to the excessive urination" kinda stuff. As if waking up in the night 10 times is good for health.

tara

Blinkyrocket said:
Yeah, I would like to be at a point like that O_O but the post was about "forcing" yourself to drink a gallon of water and powering through it, "no pain, no gain" "you'll get used to the excessive urination" kinda stuff. As if waking up in the night 10 times is good for health.
Yeah, forcing either much more or less than to thirst is not generally a great idea. There is mainstream info on over-drinking, hyponatremia, etc, as linked, and others.

Back
Top Bottom