Struggle town

Kate-L

Hello to all the lovely ladies out there. This is my first time on this forum so I do hope I am posting this in the right area.
I have struggled with terrible Pms for years now, I have recently started seeing a naturopath and after testing my hormones she said that I have estrogen dominance. My Pms symptoms last for almost 2 weeks out of every month. I get terribly depressed and tired, I feel hopeless and extremely emotional. It effects my work and my relationships and I often end up calling in sick or canceling my plans and lay in bed all day feeling sorry for myself. My naturopath has started me on progest e complex, which I ordered from ray peat. I have been taking 3 drops, 5 times a day since it arrived.. Which was 11 days ago. My Pms started about 4 days ago and I can feel that I am going to get my period any moment now. My Pms has been really terrible these last few days. I have been so sad and down, and crying over such silly things. I am starting to lose hope and wondering if I will just always be stuck with these horrible Pms symptoms. I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience or if anyone can tell me how long the progest e complex takes to work? Thank you so much for your time, Kate xxx

ilovethesea

I have the same problem and am still working on it. I think the key is taking way more Progest-E. If you do a search of old threads on this forum there are some really helpful posts on progesterone from an old poster called Peatarian who was very knowledgeable. She suggested using Progest-E daily in the beginning without stopping for your period.
Also I just found this:

Ray Peat suggests in one of his articles to use a few drops of progest-e every 15 minutes until the symptoms disappear. So if you notice any estrogen symptoms, you can do that. Every PMS symptom is estrogen related.
In an case I would recommend to start with a third of a bottle in one day. Use it constantly every half hour. The symptoms of too much progesterone would be a feeling of lightness and euphoria. I have used a bottle a day and have never felt that.
There is only one reverse effect of progesterone I know of. If you have been low thyroid for a long time, it might activate the T4 stored in your tissue and cause a thyroid storm. You'd notice: Palpitations, sweating, feeling hot, trouble breathing. In that very rare case (I've heard of it once) you should drink L-Carnitin or Cabbage juice. Have it at home in case of emergency. But if you increase the dosage every half hour that's not going to happen. Take your temp if you don't trust your feeling.

You have to be aware that progesterone is only produced during the second half of the menstruation. So if you use it during the first half, you will most likely not have any bleeding (if you use enough).
I would suggest you don't mind about your period for the first month and try to get there during the second. Just use the progest-e from the day of your ovulation (take your temperature) for 14 days. The day you stop or the day after that you'll have your menstruation.

OP
K

Kate-L

Thanks for your reply. How long have you been using the progest e complex for?

ilovethesea

Since Feb or March. I don't know how many drops a day because I just squirt some in my mouth/on my lips before bed. I started off with a different goal than lowering estrogen though, I was majorly hypothyroid and high cortisol from being on the wrong dose of meds for several years (I only have 1/2 a thyroid and was on mostly T4 medication). Now that I think my thyroid is healing and I've sort of figured out the diet, I'm going to work on estrogen. There is so much to learn at the beginning that it can get overwhelming!

I have noticed already a huge improvement in menstrual cramps by the way. I don't know if it's from the Progest E or thyroid or both but I used to get very sick on day 1 of menstruation from the extreme pain. Now I don't even need an Advil. Also, I only get maybe 1 pimple now and it's not too bad. I wrote to Peat about that and he told me premenstrual acne was a sign of stress, which was a sign of low thyroid at least before menstruation. So you may want to look into thyroid as well.

Mittir

ilovethesea said:
Ray Peat suggests in one of his articles to use a few drops of progest-e every 15 minutes until the symptoms disappear.

I think RP has possibly changed his position on progesterone. Here is a quote from Danny Roddy's email advice page.
He also mentioned in audio interview that just increasing salt many people solved their PMS problem.

CRAMPS
It [PROGEST-E] can help with cramps, but it would probably take a lot; I think it's better to use thyroid (including
T3) to solve the basic problem, since it will let you regulate the balance between estrogen and progesterone, while
allowing your cells to balance the minerals, retaining the magnesium needed to prevent cramping. Increasing your
intake of all the main minerals, calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium usually helps in the short term, but the
balance isn't stable if your thyroid is low. Milk, orange juice, coffee (even decaffeinated coffee is a good source of
magnesium), and well salted foods, support thyroid functions. Aspirin helps with thyroid function and mineral
balance, even helps to prevent excessive estrogen production.

ilovethesea

Mittir said:
ilovethesea said:
Ray Peat suggests in one of his articles to use a few drops of progest-e every 15 minutes until the symptoms disappear.

I think RP has possibly changed his position on progesterone. Here is a quote from Danny Roddy's email advice page.
He also mentioned in audio interview that just increasing salt many people solved their PMS problem.

CRAMPS
It [PROGEST-E] can help with cramps, but it would probably take a lot; I think it's better to use thyroid (including
T3) to solve the basic problem, since it will let you regulate the balance between estrogen and progesterone, while
allowing your cells to balance the minerals, retaining the magnesium needed to prevent cramping. Increasing your
intake of all the main minerals, calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium usually helps in the short term, but the
balance isn't stable if your thyroid is low. Milk, orange juice, coffee (even decaffeinated coffee is a good source of
magnesium), and well salted foods, support thyroid functions. Aspirin helps with thyroid function and mineral
balance, even helps to prevent excessive estrogen production.

Ok that makes sense then based on my experience. It was probably the thyroid that made the difference since I'm not taking a great deal of Progest-E (I'm still menstruating so I need to increase the dose).