Strong headaches/migranes, what to do when nothing works, what to use?

Marine

What to use when is a emergency and you already tried aspirin, coffee and other things more "peat", and nothing works, and you cannot use NSAID because is bad for you, what others meds or drugs you can try to find instant relief?

x3britt45

What to use when is a emergency and you already tried aspirin, coffee and other things more "peat", and nothing works, and you cannot use NSAID because is bad for you, what others meds or drugs you can try to find instant relief?
Binaural beats specially for headaches, chiropractics adjustments, coke slushees, sleep.

TurboTime

CO2 is a known treatment for migraines. I found focusing on breathing slowly saved me from an oncoming headache a couple of weeks ago. Getting the right food to produce CO2 and support stable blood sugar is important too.

Grapelander

Feverfew Herb - I used to take during the summer months when I would get heat headaches.

Parthenolide inhibits the LPS-induced secretion of IL-6 and TNF-α and NF-κB nuclear translocation in BV-2 microglia
PTN strongly reduced the translocation of nuclear factor (NF)-κB to the cell nucleus. The reduction of microglial activation by inhibition of proinflammatory agents may help attenuate the onset and intensity of acute migraine attacks. These in vitro results provide an additional explanation for the efficacy of orally administered T. parthenium as an antimigraine agent.

Parthenolide, a sesquiterpene lactone, expresses multiple anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activities
Parthenolide, a naturally occurring sesquiterpene lactone derived from feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium), exhibits exceptional anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties. This review discusses parthenolide-induced ROS-mediated apoptosis of tumor cells via the intrinsic apoptotic signaling pathway. The unique ability of this compound to not harm normal cells but at the same time induce sensitization to extrinsic as well as intrinsic apoptosis signaling in cancer cells provides an important, novel therapeutic strategy for treatment of cancer and inflammation-related disorders.

Parthenolide promotes the repair of spinal cord injury by modulating M1/M2 polarization via the NF-κB and STAT 1/3 signaling pathway
Parthenolide (PN) has been reported to exert anti-inflammatory effects in fever, migraines, arthritis, and superficial inflammation; however, the role of PN in SCI therapeutics has not been clarified. In this study, we showed that PN could improve the functional recovery of spinal cord in mice as revealed by increased BMS scores and decreased cavity of spinal cord injury in vivo.

burtlancast

If the headaches are due to chemical substances in the diet, you can try elimination diet, where you identify which food is the culprit.

golder

CO2 is a known treatment for migraines. I found focusing on breathing slowly saved me from an oncoming headache a couple of weeks ago. Getting the right food to produce CO2 and support stable blood sugar is important too.
Would you be able to help with some of the foods/protocols that helped raise co2 and thus decrease your headaches? Thanks!

Peatful

Getting a sumatriptan rx from your MD.

Then- yes- figuring out why, so you don’t need said sumatriptan.

Zpol

If I feel it coming on, I immediately take a Benadryl and two alka-seltzers (alka seltzer works better than plain aspirin in my experience, although it does reduce stomach acid so don't take with food). That usually stops it. But I have resorted to Zomig if my preventative measure didn't work (it's bad but better than being in agony for several days).

And one thing I learned recently is that having sinus pressure triggers a headache and sometimes migraines. I use Xlear daily and haven't had a problem since.

Besides sinus pressure, other main underlying causes can be vitamin deficiencies and mineral imbalances.

Morgan

I used to get migraines that would start with a visual aura followed by a delayed intense pain, what I found to work for me is taking around 125-250mg of niacinamide(in a pure powder form) with a large amount of carbs from simple sugar/honey/orange juice, and then followed that up with coffee/aspirin/progesterone. This would basically "abort" the migraine and depersonalization sensation from onsetting. Another thing to try if you can get your hands on it is cyproheptadine; of course you could also be dealing with digestion/endotoxin issues triggering repeat headaches.

An antihistamine is often useful to me (Claratin) when I have had migraines, also lying down with an ice pack at base of my neck/head has been helpful too. Eucalyptus/lavender oil (in a stick form) rubbed on my temples and neck, and breathing in deeply with a neti stick is yet another great remedy. Make sure to drink an ample amount of water, since dehydration can creep in and can l unknowingly be the cause of a migraine, especially for those that drink a lot of coffee.

Attachments

• 6ED61699-942B-44DB-BCF6-6F10E2BC6DAE.jpeg
    6ED61699-942B-44DB-BCF6-6F10E2BC6DAE.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 3

burtlancast

If nothing works, you can try coffee enemas, as Max Gerson used.

NanMitch

Constant migraines are worse for you than NSAID. Take Advil, Benedryl and Sudafed. My pharmacist told me this and it works.

HeyThere

I had DAILY migraines. By total accident I realized raising my Nitric Oxide took them and the constant pressure away immediately.
I had started taking a little bit of L-Ornithine, an amino acid. it's good for other things so maybe try it and see if it also works for you?

“For tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, sunburn, etc., progesterone in vitamin E can be applied locally after a little olive oil has been put on the skin to make it easier to spread the progesterone solution. For migraines, it has been taken orally just as the symptoms begin.” Ray Peat

TurboTime

Would you be able to help with some of the foods/protocols that helped raise co2 and thus decrease your headaches? Thanks!

Ray says this in his article on CO2
The low carbon dioxide production of hypothyroidism (e.g., Lee and Levine, 1999), and the respiratory alkalosis of estrogen excess, are often overlooked. An adequate supply of calcium, and sometimes supplementation of salt and baking soda, can increase the tissue content of CO2.
I like to put baking soda in my OJ, for example. Basically Ray Peat diet stuff that raises your metabolism. Sugar and carbohydrates generate more CO2 than fats.

Then there's breathing. Try searching Patrick McKeown for advice there. His book The Breathing Cure is probably a good resource or you can watch him on youtube. Basically you want to breathe less. Slow your breathing down whenever you notice. Maybe stuff like paper bag breathing in an emergency.

TurboTime

But my new nomination for cause of headaches is fluoride. I've had some pretty bad headaches that I am 95% sure were cause by too much fluoride hitting at once. And looking back, many more that were probably fluoride too.

And in terms of cures, that would mean salt and magnesium primarily. And water but not fluoridated. Orange juice (not reconstituted) with baking soda added is good.

Last edited:

snappy99

Late to this thread, but it helpful, I have been able to largely control / minimize migraines with the following steps:

1) I take no painkillers unless I truly cannot go on without them (i.e., have an event I have to go to). I understand some people may not be able to do this it and perhaps the pain is worse for some people, but once you learn to manage through the pain it becomes more bearable in the long term. Painkillers have been shown to cause rebound symptoms, so I think it is very likely a factor in improving long term.

2) Drink a bottle / glass of Coke (ideally Mexican coke but regular works, too. NOT diet version.). Over ice if possible.

3) Eat some salty potato chips (I try to get the olive oil version and add extra salt, but any type of salty chip (even with PUFA oil) will help for a migraine. I have also seen suggestions to eat a salty carrot salad - very likely could work as well.

4) Drink a LOT of water (several glasses)

5) Sleep - the above steps will help a lot and usually make it go away or reduce enough to get through, but sleeping it off overnight works almost every time. Naps don’t help as much.

6) long term - figure out your triggers. One of my worst triggers, oddly, is beans. One serving is fine but several servings over the course of a week lead to migraines. Drinking wine on an empty stomach (even 5 minutes before the meal begins) or when stressed is another. So is dehydration or too much sun or stress. It differs for everyone so figure out your personal triggers by tracking in a diary etc.