Stroke Rates Have Almost Doubled In Young Adults

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted recently about two studies showing rapidly increasing incidence of colon cancer, and diabetes in young adults. At least for the colon cancer cases, the respective study itself stated that neither genes, nor obesity can explain the increase.
Breaking News: Colorectal Cancer Rates In Young People Have Doubled
Rates Of Diabetes I And II Are Rapidly Rising In Young Children And Teens

This new study found increase in stroke rates in adults ages 19-44, while the rate did not increase for older adults. Thus, the explanation of obesity and other risk factors increasing for this age group are probably not sufficient as obesity has only increased by about 5% (In U.S., Obesity Up in Nearly All Age Groups Since 2008) in the time period studied (2002 - 2014), while stroke rates have increased by as much as 100% in some subgroups. Smoking rates have dropped consistently over the last 20 years, especially in young adults. However, the rising rates of diabetes as posted in the study above certainly match well the increase in stroke as diabetes is a known risk factor for ischemic events in both the brain and heart.

Researchers document troubling rise in strokes in young adults, starting at age 25
Stroke rates appear to be rising steadily in young adults
Prevalence of Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Strokes in Younger Adults

"...The rate of stroke among young people has apparently been rising steadily since 1995, according to a study published this week. Hospitalization rates for stroke increased for women between the ages of 18 and 44, and nearly doubled for men in that age range from 1995 through 2012. Using more-detailed data for 2003 through 2012, the researchers found that rates of hospitalizations for acute ischemic stroke increased by nearly 42 percent for men 35 to 44, while rates for women of the same age group increased by 30 percent over the same time, the study published in the JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association.

"...Across all adults, including those in older age ranges, stroke was the fifth leading cause of death in 2013. Overall mortality rates from strokes have significantly decreased over the past 50 years due to multiple factors, including better treatment for hypertension and increased use of aspirin, even as incidence of acute ischemic stroke among young adults has been on the rise."

Elron

Any ideas what may be causing strokes in people of such a young age, besides diabetes and more colorectal cancer?

I wonder if diet and its influence on the bacteria genome has anything to do with it. We also have lower activity levels, less being with nature, and higher stress.

dand

Err... I think it's pretty simple. Stress is steadily increasing on human beings in a way that we can't physiologically support, thus degenerative issues.

1. They are ischemic, not hemorrhagic, therefore yes, it is obesity and/or high fat diets that are causing ischemic stokes. The obstruction within a blood vessel supplying blood to the brain is caused by fat. Disagree and don't think it's fat? If it's not fat, what else is it? Sugar and protein? I don't think so. Ischemic stokes account for almost 90 percent of all stroke cases.

2. The population is increasing so rates of diseases are increasing.

3. There is a big difference in the health of people in their 20's vs. people in their 40's. The people in their 40's had a full 20 years of s*itty diet and lifestyle more than the people in their 20's. But yet this study puts both in the same category.

Last edited:

zztr

When looking at USA population stats and trends you really need to control for immigration and ethnicity to properly understand anything. The post 1965 demographic changes have been enormous and accelerating. You see this over and over again, like with education outcomes for example, where people talk about trends as if they're being driven by policy or environment, when in reality almost all change is essentially demographics.

Not saying that's a big factor here, but I would not be surprised if it is. In these sorts of studies if you can pick out the data for just whites that can be more useful.

sladerunner69

The corporatist media constantly pushes that we are seeing a steady rise in longevity and a decline in disease including heart and cancer related illness- it's all fabrication and often times it is clear that the studies are designed from the ground up to prove a bias, the bias that the pharmaceutical industry/health industry is effective.

Ledo

Thick/coagulated blood from any number of causes, possibly, but not necessarily in conjunction with damaged or weak blood vessels from toxins, nutritional deficiencies, or infection.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any ideas what may be causing strokes in people of such a young age, besides diabetes and more colorectal cancer?

I wonder if diet and its influence on the bacteria genome has anything to do with it. We also have lower activity levels, less being with nature, and higher stress.

As @dand said above, I'd say mostly stress but the direct cause of ischemic events is usually estrogen. Young women on the pill, which up until very recently was mostly estrogen-based, are especially at risk and in fact the makers of the pill Yaz got successfully sued a few years ago precisely for hiding the risk of stroke that their pill raises multifold. I will post a study tomorrow showing US population is under increasing amounts of psychological distress and stress raises estrogen in both sexes. Men have lower T levels than they did 20-30 years ago so the main protective factor for them is gone, and so it for women due to the pill and also stress. The endrocrine disruptors in the environment are not helping either as they are also strongly estrogenic, as is the increasing amount of EMF we are being subjected to 24x7. And of course, the dastardly PUFA :):

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Err... I think it's pretty simple. Stress is steadily increasing on human beings in a way that we can't physiologically support, thus degenerative issues.

Coincidentally, another study came out today which says the US population is under increasing amount of psychological distress. I will post it tomorrow. Combined with the things I mentioned in my response to another comment above, I am not surprised at all that ischemic events are rising.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
1. They are ischemic, not hemorrhagic, therefore yes, it is obesity and/or high fat diets that are causing ischemic stokes. The obstruction within a blood vessel supplying blood to the brain is caused by fat. Disagree and don't think it's fat? If it's not fat, what else is it? Sugar and protein? I don't think so. Ischemic stokes account for almost 90 percent of all stroke cases.

2. The population is increasing so rates of diseases are increasing.

3. There is a big difference in the health of people in their 20's vs. people in their 40's. The people in their 40's had a full 20 years of s*itty diet and lifestyle more than the people in their 20's. But yet this study puts both in the same category.

The direct cause is likely estrogen, for both men and women. What is causing that estrogen to rise is another topic, but I am sure obesity is a factor, just not as big as it is being made out to be. The rise in diabetes in younger people (as per the other study) would certainly explain part of this increase, as they did look at people under 40. Remember, the colon cancer study also discussed this as obesity is the biggest known risk factor for colon cancer and it the authors did not think it explained the rise of colon cancer in young adults. As far as #2, population increase has been factored in this study, the rate of stroke is usually counted as events per person per year.
Endocrine disruptors, estrogenic birth control pills and various other dangerous contraceptive method like IUD play a huge role in stroke risk for women. For men, the lower T levels and higher cortisol levels compared to makes 20-30 years ago means less protection from stressful events, which for men are the biggest trigger of ischemic stroke.
The main message for me is "younger people are getting sicker" while the rates for other age groups are staying largely the same. This is really the smoking gun for overall health system as this demographic should be the healthiest and more resilient to disease. So, the overall health of young people seems to have really taken a nosedive over the last 20 years. The causes are many, but I don't think genetics is a viable explanation.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
When looking at USA population stats and trends you really need to control for immigration and ethnicity to properly understand anything. The post 1965 demographic changes have been enormous and accelerating. You see this over and over again, like with education outcomes for example, where people talk about trends as if they're being driven by policy or environment, when in reality almost all change is essentially demographics.

Not saying that's a big factor here, but I would not be surprised if it is. In these sorts of studies if you can pick out the data for just whites that can be more useful.

Aside from Hispanic, which are known to have a higher than average stroke risk, which other immigrant groups do you think disproportionately contribute to this increase? Or are you saying the increase we are seeing is mostly due to poorer health of Hispanic immigrants? Not trying to be a troll, it is a serious question.

zztr

Aside from Hispanic, which are known to have a higher than average stroke risk, which other immigrant groups do you think disproportionately contribute to this increase? Or are you saying the increase we are seeing is mostly due to poorer health of Hispanic immigrants? Not trying to be a troll, it is a serious question.

Hispanic is only the single largest immigrant group. Asians and Africans and Middle Easterners have massively increased in proportion. Less than half of young children in America are white. This renders any comparisons without ethnic controls to previous decades irrelevant. Indians and middle east peoples are presently categorized as white in the US census, and Hispanics are routinely mislabeled white.

Luna

Hmm, lots of guys responded, to the articles posted above.
But the mess is likely caused by pharmaceuticals.
Hospitalization rates for stroke increased for women between the ages of 18 and 44, and nearly doubled for men in that age range from 1995 through 2012. Stroke rates appear to be rising steadily in young adults
It is the defective birth control pills taken by women that are causing the blood clots.
It isn't something new.
News articles have posted warnings and recalls all the way back to 2011 (from a quick internet search).
It doesn't matter which brand, the pills function that way to form clots in general.
Yaz, Yasmin birth control pills suspected in 23 deaths
Blood clot warning for 1m contraceptive pill users
Mom says stroke was triggered by birth control pills

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hmm, lots of guys responded, to the articles posted above.
But the mess is likely caused by pharmaceuticals.

It is the defective birth control pills taken by women that are causing the blood clots.
It isn't something new.
News articles have posted warnings and recalls all the way back to 2011 (from a quick internet search).
It doesn't matter which brand, the pills function that way to form clots in general.
Yaz, Yasmin birth control pills suspected in 23 deaths
Blood clot warning for 1m contraceptive pill users
Mom says stroke was triggered by birth control pills

I did mention it, estrogen is probably the prime direct cause of these issues in both men and women, and in women it is usually the Pill. In men it is probably stress, combined with other factors that lower T. See my posts below.
Stroke Rates Have Almost Doubled In Young Adults
A Record Number Of Americans Suffer From Severe Psychological Distress (SPD)

fradon

Thick/coagulated blood from any number of causes, possibly, but not necessarily in conjunction with damaged or weak blood vessels from toxins, nutritional deficiencies, or infection.
maybe that is where aspirin can help.

I posted recently about two studies showing rapidly increasing incidence of colon cancer, and diabetes in young adults. At least for the colon cancer cases, the respective study itself stated that neither genes, nor obesity can explain the increase.
Breaking News: Colorectal Cancer Rates In Young People Have Doubled
Rates Of Diabetes I And II Are Rapidly Rising In Young Children And Teens

This new study found increase in stroke rates in adults ages 19-44, while the rate did not increase for older adults. Thus, the explanation of obesity and other risk factors increasing for this age group are probably not sufficient as obesity has only increased by about 5% (In U.S.,"
I personally know 6 people who have developed cancer since late 2020 and one who had a massive stroke. Of those 7 people, six got the Covid vaccine and none of them were obese, and 4 of them have intestinal/colon cancer. In my sixty years I had only known 2 people who died of cancer before 2020, one was had vaginal cancer and the other had skin cancer. Gee I wonder what all of this sudden rampant cancer could be from? I wonder what is different than before? Hmmmm….