Strogman Brian Shaw's Diet Is Pretty Peaty

Aymen

Yes, he is one of the lean competitive eaters. Along with Joey Chesnut and Kobayashi, and some others. They do eat an insane amount of food in minutes. But even then, they aren't trying to pack down that much food day after day, and will often fast (or even purge) after a competition. I don't doubt with training they eat way more calories on average than most people, although I've seen some people deny that. I don't think competitive eating is a healthy thing to do with any sort of regularity.
imagine how many PUFAs they are ingesting lol, i also know furious pete who is one of them, i think he had prostate cancer and did a surgery, i didn't watch them since 2011 but their style of eating this amount of calories also stayed in my head until now, could they just taking DNP or something? i don't think fasting is enough to save them from these bad habits.

ExCarniv

Like Stan Efferding says, don't compete in bodybuilding/strong man if you wan to be healthy.

They need to eat this copious amounts of food and I doubt they can cope with too much liquids or too much fruits, white rice is easy to digest, then they can get the micronutrients with a bit of everything else.

Those ways of eating are not recommended for normal people.

ExCarniv

Most of the things in the Thermo Diet seem very good. I was a bit surprised by the calorie count of 11x your body weight. So 150 lbs would be 1650 calories per day. I don't think that is even close to enough. I think 15x or 16x is a better number. I have unfortunately done a lot of calorie restriction in the past, before discovering Ray Peat. At 11x you will not be able to maintain body mass. You will definitely go into hibernation mode.

Yes I think his calories recommendations are a bit low, I'm 148 lb and I need to eat 2400 cals just to maintain weight.

InChristAlone

Brian Shaw abandoned the vertical diet though he still eats quite a lot of beef and rice, he is eating chicken again. He wanted more variety. I don't blame him, beef and rice is like the most monotonous diet ever.

tankasnowgod

imagine how many PUFAs they are ingesting lol, i also know furious pete who is one of them, i think he had prostate cancer and did a surgery, i didn't watch them since 2011 but their style of eating this amount of calories also stayed in my head until now, could they just taking DNP or something? i don't think fasting is enough to save them from these bad habits.

One of Joey Chesnut's records amounted to about 20,000 calories. If the "average" competitive eater consumes 15,000 and fasts the day before and after (and eats nothing else on contest day), that averages 5,000 calories a day, so some fasting or IF could really take their daily average down quickly. I also think a lot of that food simply isn't getting digested. So, eating 15,000 calories might have a net effect of only 8,000, while most meals and snacks in the range of 300-1500 calories would likely get 90-100% net effect. All those numbers are just pure guesses, on my part.

As far as DNP or something similar..... I'm sure some have used something like that. I don't think there are drug tests for most of those competitions. It would be weird to see a competitive eater busted for some sort of Performance Enhancing Drug.

redsun

One of Joey Chesnut's records amounted to about 20,000 calories. If the "average" competitive eater consumes 15,000 and fasts the day before and after (and eats nothing else on contest day), that averages 5,000 calories a day, so some fasting or IF could really take their daily average down quickly. I also think a lot of that food simply isn't getting digested. So, eating 15,000 calories might have a net effect of only 8,000, while most meals and snacks in the range of 300-1500 calories would likely get 90-100% net effect. All those numbers are just pure guesses, on my part.

As far as DNP or something similar..... I'm sure some have used something like that. I don't think there are drug tests for most of those competitions. It would be weird to see a competitive eater busted for some sort of Performance Enhancing Drug.

There is also quite a bit of calorie loss from thermic effect. The more calories the more you lose and of course certain macros like protein have more thermic effect. I think the youtuber jeff nippard had a 10k cal challenge and explained the science in there as well. Pretty informative.

berk

His diet is basically rice and red meat lol

This was from the time that Brain follows the Vertical diet from Stan Effedring.
But brain is stopping couple months ago with this diet because his performance suffers a lot.
He became weaker and slower a lot at strongman events. He is also telling this in one of his vlogs.
He is now follow a diet from a dietist thats Martins licis (also wsm) also follows but i forget his name.

tankasnowgod

Finally, a Ray Peat inspired Food Challenge! I imagine Bernarr MacFadden must be proud as well-

Shin

This was from the time that Brain follows the Vertical diet from Stan Effedring.
But brain is stopping couple months ago with this diet because his performance suffers a lot.
He became weaker and slower a lot at strongman events. He is also telling this in one of his vlogs.
He is now follow a diet from a dietist thats Martins licis (also wsm) also follows but i forget his name.

Oh that`s interesting, do you know what his new diet is like?

InChristAlone

Oh that`s interesting, do you know what his new diet is like?
He put out on video of his new diet and it still contains a lot of beef and rice, but he is including chicken now. Also vegetables. He eats a lot of sweet potatoes. Not a fan of that. Surprised he isn't orange, guess his liver can process a boatload of carotenoids.

Shin

He put out on video of his new diet and it still contains a lot of beef and rice, but he is including chicken now. Also vegetables. He eats a lot of sweet potatoes. Not a fan of that. Surprised he isn't orange, guess his liver can process a boatload of carotenoids.

Ok thanks, found rice and beef to be best for strength as well.

Indicatrice

He lost both testicles to cancer, first one and after a while the other. On a tangential note, I feel like a lot of people here fixate themselves too rigidly on calories instead of just using apetite to guide their eating...