Strogman Brian Shaw's Diet Is Pretty Peaty

Kartoffel

Yeah, Peat is all about starch and phosphorus.

OP
GutFeeling

GutFeeling

Yeah, Peat is all about starch and phosphorus.
Hope you are not trolling
fruit juice, cheese, ruminant meat, a bit of greens, eggs and carrot
The only failo in peat standarts is the calcium to phosphorus ratio, which can be explained by his high caloric need.

Didn't watch the video (yet at least) but it says in the description, "loads of steak and cheesecake." (paraphrased)

Is this not just the vertical diet? Lots of starch and muscle meat basically, which doesn't sound very good -- but at least he has juice and etc. too.

With so much meat you can almost be sure the calcium:phosphorus ratio is bound to be way off, but depends on how much cheese he eats, I guess (and if he supplements).

Even if arguably "Peaty" at least it sounds better than your average junky diet if PUFA is consistently kept low.

tankasnowgod

His diet is basically rice and red meat lol

So uh..... have you ever read any of Peat's articles and diet recommendations? Because Peat wouldn't recommend a diet of basically Red Meat and Rice. And certainly not in those amounts. Too much starch over sugar, no attention paid to gelatin.

Probably the diet that is most in line with Peat's recommendations when it comes to Body Builder types is the one reportedly used by Steve Reeves- Steve Reeves Workout: Here are his Bodybuilding Secrets! - FitnessAbout

ExCarniv

The most in line with Peat is Christopher Walker with his Thermo Diet, plus he have a good and attainable physique, not a semi human monster like Shaw.
The negative side of him is he sells a hell lot of unnecessary supplements.

Thermo30_Fat_Loss.png

Barry

The most in line with Peat is Christopher Walker with his Thermo Diet, plus he have a good and attainable physique, not a semi human monster like Shaw.
The negative side of him is he sells a hell lot of unnecessary supplements.

View attachment 16008

Most of the things in the Thermo Diet seem very good. I was a bit surprised by the calorie count of 11x your body weight. So 150 lbs would be 1650 calories per day. I don't think that is even close to enough. I think 15x or 16x is a better number. I have unfortunately done a lot of calorie restriction in the past, before discovering Ray Peat. At 11x you will not be able to maintain body mass. You will definitely go into hibernation mode.

OP
GutFeeling

GutFeeling

Just imagine getting 12.000 cals from fruit juice and milk.
Rice is easy to digest and has much more nutrients than sugar.
And the meat helps with protein, but is not chicken breast as most bodybuilders eat.
Meanwhile, at this moment we have lots of okinawa centenarians blasting a diet made of starch.

tankasnowgod

Just imagine getting 12.000 cals from fruit juice and milk.

Haven't you ever heard of GOMAD? Milk is often recommended as a great source of extra calories in bodybuilding circles. Anyway, 12,000 calories a day sounds ridiculous, no matter the source. I don't want to imagine eating that much in a day, period.

Rice is easy to digest and has much more nutrients than sugar.

Easy to digest, sure, but white rice doesn't have significantly more nutrients than sugar. They are both basically a carb source, and not much more. But they can certainly both have a place in an otherwise nutrient dense diet. And rice is going to have less nutrients than fruit or fruit juice.

And the meat helps with protein, but is not chicken breast as most bodybuilders eat.
Meanwhile, at this moment we have lots of okinawa centenarians blasting a diet made of starch.

Okay, but what does that have to do with Peat's recommendations? Shaw's diet does avoid the most problematic foods that Peat talks about, but it's not really in line or inspired by Peat's overall recommendations.

Last edited:
OP
GutFeeling

GutFeeling

Haven't you ever heard of GOMAD? Milk is often recommended as a great source of extra calories in bodybuilding circles. Anyway, 12,000 calories a day sounds ridiculous, no matter the source. I don't want to imagine eating that much in a day, period.

Easy to digest, sure, but white rice doesn't have significantly more nutrients than sugar. They are both basically a carb source, and not much more. But they can certainly both have a place in an otherwise nutrient dense diet. And rice is going to have less nutrients than fruit or fruit juice.

Okay, but what does that have to do with Peat's recommendations? Shaw's diet does avoid the most problematic foods that Peat talks about, but it's not really in line or inspired by Peat's overall recommendations.

Apart from rice and red meat, which are the primary calorie source he also eats:
fruit juice, cheese a bit of greens, potato, eggs and carrot.
This is low pufa and etc, the only failo is the calcium to phosphorus ratio, and as i said it would be very hard to get calcium, as the only peaty sources are dairy and greens. He also supplement with an hypercaloric wich usually provide the rda for calcium

4 liters of milk provide only 2500 calories.
With that much of liquid he ofc wouldnt eat much food.

Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories
If you compare in kilograms the diference is massive.

tankasnowgod

Apart from rice and red meat, which are the primary calorie source he also eats:
fruit juice, cheese a bit of greens, potato, eggs and carrot.

Which is the entire point. SAD dietiers frequently eat fruit juice, cheese, a bit of greens, potato, eggs, and carrots, but that doesn't make their diet "Peaty."

4 liters of milk provide only 2500 calories.
With that much of liquid he ofc wouldnt eat much food.

So why not up it to 2 or 3 gallons? Or use a gallon instead of two of the ribeyes? Or use cottage cheese instead of milk (like Steve Reeves did?) Anyway, he starts off the video by saying "It's like doing an eating challenge every single day." He's forcing down unnatural amounts of food anyway, why do you think milk would be any harder? It might be easier, especially if he got a lower fat variety.

Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories
If you compare in kilograms the diference is massive.

Eh, not really. A kilo of rice gets you to the RDA minimum of Thiamine, Folate, Selenium, and Manganese....... and, that's it. That could even be factoring in fortification, which on rice, often washes off. It's still irrelevant in this context, as 40 oz or Ribeye is going to blow that away, nutrient wise.

OP
GutFeeling

GutFeeling

Which is the entire point. SAD dietiers frequently eat fruit juice, cheese, a bit of greens, potato, eggs, and carrots, but that doesn't make their diet "Peaty."

So why not up it to 2 or 3 gallons? Or use a gallon instead of two of the ribeyes? Or use cottage cheese instead of milk (like Steve Reeves did?) Anyway, he starts off the video by saying "It's like doing an eating challenge every single day." He's forcing down unnatural amounts of food anyway, why do you think milk would be any harder? It might be easier, especially if he got a lower fat variety.

Eh, not really. A kilo of rice gets you to the RDA minimum of Thiamine, Folate, Selenium, and Manganese....... and, that's it. That could even be factoring in fortification, which on rice, often washes off. It's still irrelevant in this context, as 40 oz or Ribeye is going to blow that away, nutrient wise.

Too much liquid, 12 liters of milk... Err

Aymen

Too much food, 12,000 calories a day.. Err
Hey tanka, have you heard before about this guy?
MattStonie
this is some of his videos, he is not normal, i don't know how he is eating all about 10,000 calories or more in a day challange without getting fat as much as the other population, he eats very fast also it's weird, check some of his videos and tell me your opinion.

High_Prob

Stan Efferding follows much of Peat's principles...Efferding is Shaw's Nutritional Consultant (or at least was)

tankasnowgod

Hey tanka, have you heard before about this guy?
MattStonie
this is some of his videos, he is not normal, i don't know how he is eating all about 10,000 calories or more in a day challange without getting fat as much as the other population, he eats very fast also it's weird, check some of his videos and tell me your opinion.

Yes, he is one of the lean competitive eaters. Along with Joey Chesnut and Kobayashi, and some others. They do eat an insane amount of food in minutes. But even then, they aren't trying to pack down that much food day after day, and will often fast (or even purge) after a competition. I don't doubt with training they eat way more calories on average than most people, although I've seen some people deny that. I don't think competitive eating is a healthy thing to do with any sort of regularity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals