StressNon - Custom Liquid Supplement With Pregnenolone

Discussion in 'IdeaLabs' started by haidut, Apr 7, 2014.

1. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

What I like about progesterone is that it gives consistent results, while pregnenolone gives random results due to going different paths down the steroid chain. But still I think it can be feminizing if taken in large doses for subsequent days.

2. Frankdee20

Frankdee20 Member

I can’t disagree if you paid me

3. Frankdee20

Frankdee20 Member

Straight DHEA has different mental effects I’d assume than Pregnenalone’s girly ones ? The Progesterone with DHEA would simply counter anxiety ?

4. Dhair

Dhair Member

I have seen Ray's recommendation being consistently in the 100-150mg range, with some exceptions. I know that the lower doses have been proven to be more androgenic, but the unbearable anxiousness that so many people describe is always from the low doses, and I think that is because of the NMDA agonism and the lack of progesterone conversion. People are also using low quality brands. From Healthnatura: "Beware of cheap pregnenolone. Cheap pregnenolone is often pregnenolone acetate and companies are not required to disclose that."
    I haven't really seen you comment on why pregnenolone is so hit or miss with so many people. I would actually like to see you make a post on what you think the ultimate HPA dysfunction "cure" might be for people who can't handle pregnenolone, and if thyroid is required to fix it. I'm assuming cortisol would have to be as low as possible, and then thyroid should be adjusted accordingly.

5. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

It would be interesting to hear about people' results from higher doses (for those who did not enjoy the low doses). I posted a study (on the "progesterone is androgenic thread") which suggested 5-ar activity was actually what protected against the anti androgenic effect of progesterone, so that may be one thing to consider when supplementing progesterone.

6. Sobieski

Sobieski Member

Personally I've used a few different brands of pregnenolone. The key for myself is using a bio identical brand as opposed to synthetic; the first two I used (Swanson and source naturals) caused anxiety and left me feeling spaced out. Healthnatura pregnenolone is the one I used now. Took 150mg last night topically and orally and had zero stress reaction.

7. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

I don't agree with the statement that pregnenolone sold by other vendors is usually pregnenolone acetate. They are considered different chemicals by the FDA and have different regulations. Pregnenolone acetate is allowed in cosmetic as a solution of up to 2% and has to be explicitly disclosed as being the acetate ester. Some vendors may put a label that says "each capsules contains 10mg pregnenolone" but then they have to list the actual "pregnenolone acetate" in the "other ingredients section". So, I am pretty sure it is illegal (in the US) to sell pregnenolone acetate labelled simply as pregnenolone. If the vendor is selling pregnenolone acetate they have to disclose that somewhere on the container.

Pregnenolone is not a simple NMDA agonist. In fact, its effects on this receptor are not currently well known and at least one study shows mixed agonism/antagonism.
    Inhibition of the NMDA response by pregnenolone sulphate reveals subtype selective modulation of NMDA receptors by sulphated steroids

Furthermore, it is pregnenolone sulfate (PS) that has the highest affinity for NMDA. Pregnenolone itself is possibly an antagonist, hence the rapid antidepressant effects in rodent studies (similar to ketamine - an NMDA antagonist)). In lower doses part of pregnenolone stays as pregnenolone and other parts get converted to downstream steroids like progesterone, DHEA and a number of pheromones which are only beginning to understand. Lower doses of pregnenolone are sedative in humans. There is an old study showing 1mg - 5mg pregnenolone dose improved sleep in stressed out people and most people on the forum using doses of 10mg or less reported sedative/calming effects. User/admin @charlie is one of them. The higher pregnenolone doses convert mostly into PS and as such should be much more stimulating. This is confirmed by using HED in the range of 50mg - 100mg to reverse benzodazepine sedation and HED around 1,000mg to reverse/block alcohol intoxication and addiction.
    So, the exact role and effects of pregnenolone are far from known but the human studies so far show that steroidogenic enzymes have a fixed capacity to process pregnenolone, so lower doses will likely act as a precursor to downstream steroids, while higher doses will be shuttled to the long-term storage form PS. As far as HPA, an in vitro study I posted on the forum shows that a 500nM/L concentration prevented glutamate toxicity in the brain and blocked translocation of the glucocorticoid receptor (GR) to the nucleus (which blocks cortisol's genomic effects). That concentrations is achievable with doses of way less than 100mg. Higher concentrations in that study did not have beneficial effect, so yet another study suggests there is a sweet spot for pregnenolone.
    Anyways, I am not saying I have all the answers but I am saying that low and high doses clearly have widely different effects.

8. Dhair

Dhair Member

Could I have your permission to email Ray this quote from you? I know that everything you are saying is backed up by studies, I just want to see if he has anything to add to this. Given the research, pregnenolone seems to be a much more complicated substance than he would have us believe.
    Anyway, like I said before, this stuff has had a profound effect on how I experience the world. Colors brighter, and sometimes everything seems to become "hyperreal," which can be uncomfortable, but this effect is transient. Stressnon has such a powerful effect that I can feel this effects for days after taking just half a dose. If I take too much several days in a row, I tend to hold water and feel more bogged down, which is to be expected. My question to you is, would you take this as a sign that my brain/body needs more of this stuff and the neurosteroids it produces in order to start functioning normally again?
    Ray once said that in healthy young people pregnenolone will likely have no effect at all.

9. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

wow this is powerful stuff when done topically on the wrist,

It sends a very strange calm throughout my body, and has wonderful synergy with glycine.