Stress still gets the best of me

Green Dot

Sure, I get a blunted effect, but I still feel the adrenaline and "shakiness" during stressful situations. (Which is many situations that don't really call for it too much)

Should I just try to maximize my glycogen stores? Should I just keep at it? What should I do?

mariantos

Now matter how perfect my diet is.

Sure, I get a blunted effect, but I still feel the adrenaline and "shakiness" during stressful situations. (Which is many situations that don't really call for it too much)

Should I just try to maximize my glycogen stores? Should I just keep at it? What should I do?

Fear is involved!

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7

mrchibbs

You should keep at it. It's a long term process, and there are many things to finetune.

Optimizing thyroid, androgen levels, making sure vitamin D is high enough etc.

Compensating for years of chronic stress is hard. It takes focus and dedication, and recognition that you need more environmental support than others.

That can mean focusing extra hard on getting the most optimal sleep possible, and making sure to eat regular snacks to compensate for an impaired liver function.

Regular snacks, using inhibitory substances like progesterone/cyproheptadine but also maybe some androgens (for a man), extra DHEA/DHT/testosterone can provide a much more grounded feeling and resilience against stress.

Rafe

Agree with @mrchibbs

For me some things improved immediately but temporarily. But I got that just keeping at it had a “re-directing” effect on my organism.
Somewhere RP writes that “the body will do what it is allowed to do.” I wish I could find that line again b/c the context would be important.

But it reminds me that it’s persistence in the basics of compensating for stressors that builds you a new physiological existence & life.

I approached it like building a whole new life. So I figured it might take a decade to be just a normal thing for me. The attention to nutrition + willingness to experiment, to be autonomous + responsible for my failures + successes. But I couldn’t take in that time-frame.

The hardest part was committing to relying on my own judgment. Which is funny b/c that showed me how much I had before then outsourced my autonomy

So I broke it up into manageable bits: “I’ll do some basics for 18 months & then re-evaluate to decide if I want to continue.” I did, I made uneven progress, took a lot of supplements. I re-evaluated like that periodically.

It took a while & everyone will do it differently. But I’m so glad I did it that way. After a few years the increments of improvement are smaller but better, more meaningful. And it’s no longer all about the food anymore or compensating stress anymore. It also became more about, eh, I don’t know, I just enjoy my life more & it has better purpose to it.

I think if you look at it like a long, loving project that needs a little daily focus & habits along with a willingness to adjust & seek new things as you are ready, there really can be something bigger to it.

It takes a boatload of patience & persistence.

TheSir

It may run deeper than diet. While the foods you eat program your nervous system to operate in a certain way, so does the stimuli you're habitually exposed to. Exposing yourself to stressful situations over and over as a form of therapy will gradually diminish your nervous response to those situations. You can have the best diet in the world, yet if your nervous system has not been given sufficient chances to safely experience specific stressful circumstances, the adrenaline rushes will persist in that context. For example, a person who is not accustomed to arguing can easily feel shaky during an argument until more experience is gained. Diet of course helps greatly, but it's not necessarily the whole picture.

Phosphor

I don't know if this will apply, but. I have SNPs in the sulfur pathway that make me deficient in dopamine. (CBS A360A +\+.) In my particular case, I was a performer and had stage fright under stress such that I literally would start to pass out; I got all kinds of advice on how to approach that from a psychological point of view, and nothing helped. By accident I found that L-tyrosine simply erased that problem. I had to take a LOT....1500mg 45 minutes before a performance, but it was miraculous in the results. A friend who does *not* have that SNP tried just 100mg of L tyrosine and had an opposite effect, so if you decide to try that, be careful and start slowly. I can take 2000mg and feel basically nothing, while my friend went over the top with nervousness on just 100mg. Not everything can be fixed with proper diet.

golder

It may run deeper than diet. While the foods you eat program your nervous system to operate in a certain way, so does the stimuli you're habitually exposed to. Exposing yourself to stressful situations over and over as a form of therapy will gradually diminish your nervous response to those situations. You can have the best diet in the world, yet if your nervous system has not been given sufficient chances to safely experience specific stressful circumstances, the adrenaline rushes will persist in that context. For example, a person who is not accustomed to arguing can easily feel shaky during an argument until more experience is gained. Diet of course helps greatly, but it's not necessarily the whole picture.
This is very important. I overlooked this for most of my life assuming that I was just missing that magical ingredient!

mrchibbs

Of course it runs much deeper than the diet. It's just one element.

But it's the basics, if you have some type of hereditary/epigenetic/developmental deficiency to overcome, it's more crucial for that type of person to really be careful with their environment. Things like getting enough protein, micronutrients, sleep etc. can and will increase resilience to stress.

Of course the purpose is to have the energy to live an exciting life, and there is definitely a positive feedback cycle where everything gets easier and easier with gentle and progressive stimuli, provided the organism is supplied with sufficient resources.

akgrrrl

You should keep at it. It's a long term process, and there are many things to finetune.

Optimizing thyroid, androgen levels, making sure vitamin D is high enough etc.

Compensating for years of chronic stress is hard. It takes focus and dedication, and recognition that you need more environmental support than others.

That can mean focusing extra hard on getting the most optimal sleep possible, and making sure to eat regular snacks to compensate for an impaired liver function.

Regular snacks, using inhibitory substances like progesterone/cyproheptadine but also maybe some androgens (for a man), extra DHEA/DHT/testosterone can provide a much more grounded feeling and resilience against stress.
I also agree with mr. Chibbs. For my as hypo, the whole sugar thing changed it for me. Everything in my body says ahhhh its okayyyy, when I drink something hot with sugar. Good long lasting carbs with protein and a little fat does it too like a dressed up baked potato followed by glass of cold whole organic milk!

K

Kaur Singh

as my energy production has improved, so has the reaction to stress.

B1 helped me a lot in the beginning in not getting the shakes

how's your cholesterol like?

temps and heart rate throughout the day? before after meals etc.

fine tuning to what your needs are at the moment.
and always going back to Peat's articles and interviews when things pop up
they acquire new meaning, as you start to understand what is going wonk per his framework

Amazoniac

Amazoniac

if falling 2000 feet off a boulder doesn't kill him soon, the persorption from the rolled oats in muesli will
If this guy was consuming milk and orange juice, they were supportive to his accomplishments, whereas with other foods, the feats were possible in spite of them. I know that you're joking, but that's probably how some people here interpret.

gaze

If this guy was consuming milk and orange juice, they were supportive to his accomplishments, whereas with other foods, the feats were possible in spite of them. I know that you're joking, but that's probably how some people here interpret.
ideology consumes us all, ray included
the only solution (?):