Stress Reaction After Eating If No Sugar

scarlettsmum

I have realised that I get some sort of stress reaction when eating starch and protein (meat) and fat only for meal when not including sugar. Is it something that you are all aware of and always making sure to have some sugar with meal? Also milk alongside meal doesn't help, it has to be very concentrated source of sugar. I was actually thinking of making a sugar syrup and take it by the spoonful as needed.
What is the explanation behind it?

milk_lover

Yup that has happened to me. That's why I can tolerate sugary baked stuff more than regular baked stuff. Also I can tolerate meat+bread better when I drink two cokes with them, which is a concentrated source of sugar. The coke's CO2 could play a factor too.

Demyze

I have realised that I get some sort of stress reaction when eating starch and protein (meat) and fat only for meal when not including sugar. Is it something that you are all aware of and always making sure to have some sugar with meal? Also milk alongside meal doesn't help, it has to be very concentrated source of sugar. I was actually thinking of making a sugar syrup and take it by the spoonful as needed.
What is the explanation behind it?

I get this too, I think it has to do with blood sugar.
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/11/26/ray-peat-phd-on-low-blood-sugar-stress-reaction/
Ray Peat, PhD on Low Blood Sugar & Stress Reaction

Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

Forsythia

I consider sugar to be an aid to digestion. Which may be why dessert was invented. We learned long ago that sugar helped us to digest big meals.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Ok, that's great to know that I'm not the only one having these reactions.:)

Interesting tip about eating sweet baked goodies @milk_lover. I will probably start eating brioche now instead of bread. :) I'm a bit worried about hfcs in sodas and besides I don't like carbonated beverages. I quite like sweet unfiltered apple juice, so that may be an option. Does sucrose rise cholesterol like fructose does? I have high cholesterol so am not too keen to push it up even further. That's why I wonder if sugar syrup may be a better option for me in the meantime?

@Demyze And, yes I believe it has something to do with insulin and sugar. I think RP said something about having to drink lots of OJ when eating eggs to balance his blood sugar.

@Forsythia yes, I wish I had time or willingness to make desserts.:) That's why I'm looking for a shortcut like sugar syrup.

milk_lover

Interesting tip about eating sweet baked goodies @milk_lover. I will probably start eating brioche now instead of bread. :) I'm a bit worried about hfcs in sodas and besides I don't like carbonated beverages. I quite like sweet unfiltered apple juice, so that may be an option. Does sucrose rise cholesterol like fructose does? I have high cholesterol so am not too keen to push it up even further. That's why I wonder if sugar syrup may be a better option for me in the meantime?
I would think sucrose increases cholesterol as well but not so sure. There are some sodas with real sugar like Mexican Coke or Throwback Pepsi. Sometimes I just add a lot of sugar in my coffee (or coffee+milk) while eating meat. Sugar syrup could work why not unless you have reaction from it, sometimes they add other ingredients with water and sucrose in sugar syrup.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I will probably make my own sugar syrup. it's probably something really simple like boiling same amount of water to sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals