Stress-induced glycolysis is mediated by adrenalin

haidut

Forum Supporter
A nice study that ties together the hypoglycemic state of shock with increased levels of lactate and pyruvate - all caused by adrenalin. Anti-adrenalin agents (beta "receptor" blockers) successfully ameliorated the condition. I wonder if clonidine would do the same given another study I found, that I will post later on, stating that clonidine protected against shock/endotoxin in liver/gut/brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18323749

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That kind of explains in a nutshell why stress is so damaging. Since following this approach I can definitely pinpoint when stress is the root cause of a problem. Prior to regaining my health this wasn't the case. I always enjoy your informative posts haidut!

jyb

On that note, why aren't beta-blocker rarely mentioned on this forum? Wikipedia states that they are sometimes used over the counter by athletics/musicians to suppress anxiety. Maybe they carry too much side effect for a regular use?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I believe they have been associated with the onset of CHF. Maybe that is why?

aguilaroja

The following reflects my views, which are neither an accurate or full understanding of Dr.Peat's.

First, adrenalin and biological stress responses are adaptive. One way to view them as short term compromises, as a bridge to, hopefully, long term restoration.

Second, life needs stimulation, and excitation. However, over-stimulation and exhaustive excitation become dangerous. In an ideal world, I suppose there would be mild, measured, varied stimulation to engage the creative faculties.

Third, blunting some downstream effects of adrenalin is different from relieving the need for adrenalin in the first place. Restorative measures (thyroid, sugar, CO2, many others) may provide some of the mobilization & circulation functions of adrenalin without shifting into a dominant catabolic mode.

If "energy and structure are interdependent, at every level", extreme states would evoke or accompany metabolism in hazardous decline. It is interesting how the "stress" signaling is so entwined with the end products of disturbed energy, specifically in this reference.

In a similar way to thyroid being representative of but not the whole of restorative metabolism, adrenalin (and in their different ways, cortisol, estrogen, histamine, etc.) represents emergency metabolism.

"Selectively" blocking high adrenalin effects, whether high blood pressure or lactate accumulation, has uses. Orthodox health care relies of some of these bits. But Beta-blockers, other "anti-adrenergic agents" and "conversely" "sympathomimetics" (say, α2 adrenergic agonists like clonidine) have a limited context. They can easily result in symptoms found in states of decline: fatigue, low blood pressure, depression, sleep disturbance, others....Many persons have bothersome symptoms using these medicines, considered to be "successful" for their prescribed indication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_bloc ... se_effects

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I personally felt terrible on a beta blocker that was prescribed as a 'safe' treatment for anxiety years ago. Later I read about the possible cardiac issue and felt fortunate that I didn't take it long term. :cry:

aquaman

haidut said:
A nice study that ties together the hypoglycemic state of shock with increased levels of lactate and pyruvate - all caused by adrenalin. Anti-adrenalin agents (beta "receptor" blockers) successfully ameliorated the condition. I wonder if clonidine would do the same given another study I found, that I will post later on, stating that clonidine protected against shock/endotoxin in liver/gut/brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18323749

A friend mentioned to me today that he used a Beta Blockers a few years ago to deal with panic attacks, which came on in general as well as during eg public speaking. he said they were remarkably effective about dealing with the adrenaline.

I have bad sleep and have done for 15 years, many 2-4am wake ups and nightmares.

I wonder if short term use of Beta Blockers would be helpful without being harmful??

tara

aquaman said:
I wonder if short term use of Beta Blockers would be helpful without being harmful??
I don't know whether they would be helpful in your context or not, but I'll report my experience with beta blockers.
Many years ago I was prescribed was nadolol and later propranolol for migraine prophylaxis; neither was very effective for that. The side effect I remember and hated at the time was that I couldn't exercise. I used to walk on hills, and if I was working hard enough to get my heart rate up towards 135 bpm, I'd start to feel faint. Even less able to keep up with my friends than usual.

aquaman

Yes actually been reading that Beta Blockers are likely to cause insomnia, not help it!

Seen this from Haidut which may be more relevant:

haidut said:
It is well known that clonidine lowers adrenalin, and Ray has written about it. It looks like clonidine is also able to restrain the other side of the sympathetic stress response - the ACTH, cortisol, hyperglycemia process. All studies below are in humans. So, it looks like clonidine may be a good option for stopping the stress response in people who have trouble regulating it with just sugar, salt and protein. There are quite a few studies showing benefit from short-term low-dose clonidine administration on stress paramaters induced by events like surgery, septic shock, trauma, etc. Average duration is about 3-5 days. So, a possible protocol would be to take 100mcg - 200mcg clonidine before bed for 3-5 days to keep cortisol and adrenalin at bay, which should give the body a break and allow for thyroid to take over.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals