haidut

Forum Supporter
The study is only about leukemia, but it adds to other evidence I have posted before on the role of stress in cancer development and progression.
Stress (adrenaline, Noradrenaline) As The Main Driver Of Cancer Metastases
Bad Environment & Lifestyle (stress) Cause Most Cancers In Western Countries
Stress From Cancer Diagnosis Suppresses Immune System And Worsens Outcome
Cancer Is A State Of Chronic Stress With Elevated Lipolysis And Ketogenesis
Stress At Work Increases Risk For Certain Cancers

Now this study below found that stress amplified inflammation in patients with leukemia and raises the levels of all major biomarkers that predict if a patient will die from the disease. As such, one of the authors calls for treating stress not as something benign or peripheral but as something vital for the survival of the patients.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/cncr.31538
Stress linked to more advanced disease in some leukemia patients

"...Patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) who feel more stress also have more cancer cells in their blood and elevated levels of three other markers of more advanced disease. A new study of 96 patients is the first to link stress with biological disease markers in patients with CLL. “All four variables we measured are related to prognosis in CLL patients, so they have a lot of relevance,” said Barbara L. Andersen, lead author of the study and professor of psychology at The Ohio State University. “It’s more evidence of the importance of managing stress in cancer patients.”

"...The researchers took blood samples and calculated absolute lymphocyte counts (ALC), which is a measure of healthy and malignant cells circulating in the blood. This measure is often elevated in patients with CLL and is used as a marker of disease severity. They also measured levels of eight different cytokines, which are proteins involved in the body’s immune response. All of these cytokines can promote unhealthy levels of inflammation in patients with cancer. Results showed that more stress in the patients was associated with a higher number of circulating cancerous cells and higher levels of three cytokines: tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukin 16 and chemokine ligand 3 (CCL 3). CCL3 is a particular kind of cytokine called a chemokine. It helps facilitate the development of CLL cells in places like the spleen and lymph nodes, where leukemia cells are produced.

"...“Chemokines have not been used in studies like this before and it is a novel way of checking for the link between stress and disease,” Andersen said. Stress was linked to disease severity even after the researchers took into account several other important factors that also play a role in disease progression, including gender, the number of prior treatments and the presence of a genetic marker (del17p) that is associated with harder-to-treat CLL. “The fact that stress shows an effect on CLL even after we controlled for other factors suggests it may be relevant to the course of CLL,” Andersen said."

Dobbler

There is no way to avoid stress after you get cancer diagnosis, everyone can think how they would feel after your doctor tells you that you have cancer...
"You can either die slowly or go through extremely taxing and harmful procedures, that won't even guarantee your survival, or hope that your cancer cures itself"
Yeah try not to stress...

raypeatclips

There is no way to avoid stress after you get cancer diagnosis, everyone can think how they would feel after your doctor tells you that you have cancer...
"You can either die slowly or go through extremely taxing and harmful procedures, that won't even guarantee your survival, or hope that your cancer cures itself"

My dad got a cancer diagnosis and made it his mission to fill each of his days with something interesting. Started going to loads of different groups, got very involved with local politics and councils, followed many hobbies. I believe he was given 1-2 years and this was maybe 5-6 years ago and the doctors say his "numbers" are better than ever. He told me later he wanted to be so busy he didn't have time to think that he had cancer and dwell on it because as soon as he did that his mind would be gone.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Of course, such diagnosis is crushing to most people. I think the study was meant more as a warning that the stressful lifestyle most of us live contributes greatly to the disease progression. This study did not say it, but the other study I posted today shows that stress maybe the main cause of cancer, so in light of that the study above is even more relevant.
Stress As The Underlying Cause Behind ALL Chronic Diseases

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

A recent study found that up to 40% of people newly diagnosed with cancer develop full blown PTSD. And this is just the ones who were willing to also get evaluated by a psychiatrist after they saw an oncologist. The majority probably did not want to see yet another doctor offering grim diagnosis, so in reality it's probably more like 80% develop PTSD if everybody gets evaluated.

B

Braveheart

I know stress played a large part in my my stroke and then leukemia. The very first stress transferred to me in the womb while my mother gave birth in the middle of a bombing raid...and later my whole life seemed one stress after another...I even thought I was addicted to stress??

Regina

I know stress played a large part in my my stroke and then leukemia. The very first stress transferred to me in the womb while my mother gave birth in the middle of a bombing raid...and later my whole life seemed one stress after another...I even thought I was addicted to stress??
I see a lot of people who seem "addicted to stress." Did you at some point actively see it as an "addiction" that you set about to stop? To what do you attribute your letting go of the addition?" Thx

B

Braveheart

I see a lot of people who seem "addicted to stress." Did you at some point actively see it as an "addiction" that you set about to stop? To what do you attribute your letting go of the addition?" Thx
Yes, it was only these last few years that I realized there seems to be stress in every thing I do...like I created it, thrived on it?... I think it comes from how I think about things, and how I look at life...something happened to me in my formative years that caused this...without going into details ...mine was not a happy childhood...but not sure how that would have done the "damage"... but I have found some help and peace in the Buddhist teachings....I'm still a work in progress but my time is running out.

denise

Yes, it was only these last few years that I realized there seems to be stress in every thing I do...like I created it, thrived on it?... I think it comes from how I think about things, and how I look at life...something happened to me in my formative years that caused this...without going into details ...mine was not a happy childhood...but not sure how that would have done the "damage"... but I have found some help and peace in the Buddhist teachings....I'm still a work in progress but my time is running out.
If your birth and childhood was very stressful, and your parents weren't able to provide emotional safety and co-regulate with you to teach you how to bring your body back into more of a parasympathetic mode, this would be enough to ensure that you stayed in a high stress mode much of the time. It's not addiction. It's just all your body knows. Somatic experiencing (and related therapies) are good at helping to bring safety to the nervous system so that it has more balance. I've found it helpful, though I've a ways to go yet.

B

Braveheart

If your birth and childhood was very stressful, and your parents weren't able to provide emotional safety and co-regulate with you to teach you how to bring your body back into more of a parasympathetic mode, this would be enough to ensure that you stayed in a high stress mode much of the time. It's not addiction. It's just all your body knows. Somatic experiencing (and related therapies) are good at helping to bring safety to the nervous system so that it has more balance. I've found it helpful, though I've a ways to go yet.
Thank you Denise...yes its all my body knows...have often thought that...used to rely on alcohol for escape and relief but that's behind me... I have made strides these last few years and I attribute some of that to Haidut's supps. and his posts.
Childhood stress shortens your lifespan...not to mention the damage incompetent parents can do...these days I very much try to concern myself with helping children and animals...they have no fault in what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regina

"I have found some help and peace in the Buddhist teachings....I'm still a work in progress..." Me too. :therethere

B

Braveheart

"I have found some help and peace in the Buddhist teachings....I'm still a work in progress..." Me too. :therethere
We are all suffering something...best to "let it go, let it flow"...life is good.

kayumochi

The nature of CLL with its slow progression with treatment not needed for many years allows it to be studied as it has. An aggressive cancer couldn't be studied as such I think ...