Stress And Trauma In Childhood

Amazoniac

So I here at Ray Peat forum with years of history have been approached by big pharma to convince people who have no problems to not go digging into their past so that... they don't spend money going to therapy and taking drugs? Are you sure you have a functional reality test? Nothing you say or have said in this thread is remotely sane, including your fantasy about marrying a dude that spank OP.
It's clear now that you've been exposed that your desperate attempt is to try to frame me as insane. I'm not saying that you're here just to promote the industry, but it does influence your posts. You isn't fooling me. Be honest, what's your relation with Johnson & Johnson?

jimjim

I can recommend these books.

Dr Gabor Mate When the body says no
Basel Van der Kolk The body keeps the score
Janina Fisher Healing the fragmented selves of trauma survivors.
Peter A Levine In an unspoken voice How the body releases trauma and restores goodness.

I had a couple of sessions with a somatic experiencing therapist and it was very interesting. I had to stop due to finances but I could definitely see potential in it.

Peatful

I can recommend these books.

Dr Gabor Mate When the body says no
Basel Van der Kolk The body keeps the score
Janina Fisher Healing the fragmented selves of trauma survivors.
Peter A Levine In an unspoken voice How the body releases trauma and restores goodness.

I had a couple of sessions with a somatic experiencing therapist and it was very interesting. I had to stop due to finances but I could definitely see potential in it.
“Healing of Fragmented Selves: Overcoming Trauma”
Incredible recommendation

Hugh Johnson

It's clear now that you've been exposed that your desperate attempt is to try to frame me as insane. I'm not saying that you're here just to promote the industry, but it does influence your posts. You isn't fooling me. Be honest, what's your relation with Johnson & Johnson?
While I would never suggest anyone go see a psychologist or a psychiatrist, you do need some help. Really, ask some forum member you trust here to help you with a reality check. You may be a danger to yourself and others. I'm being serious here. You are even naming a specific corporation that is supposed to be hiring occasional posters here to do something that does not even serve them.

It really looks like a paranoid delusion. Go ask someone you trust if what you have posted is in any way reasonable.

lacto man

Hi all,
I am looking for suggestions on healing as an adult from things that occured in one's childhood. As far as I know the effects of childhood trauma can be lifelong, but I am wondering how much hope there is for recovery and what are some good ways to teach the body that it is no longer in danger. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR). Find a clinician who has at least had second-level training.

Member Search - EMDR International Association

Amazoniac

Hugh, this has to be a joke.
While I would never suggest anyone go see a psychologist or a psychiatrist, you do need some help.
What pharmaceutical do you have a coupon for?
something that does not even serve them
More than 350 reviewers disagree with you:
BAND-AID® Brand HYDRO SEAL™ Bandages All Purpose, 10 Count
The only confounding factor is that they might actually be getting paid to say that, just like you on some of your sponsored posts.

You sound like an honest person, I empathize that you must be going through a rough time to accept that. It's unfortunate.

When I was little I got chased by (aggressive) ducklings for no apparent reason, but I already worked on that as an adult; I no longer remain on alert mode trying to antecipate the next persecution, believing that there are conspiracies against me. I don't think I need to check myself any further, but thanks for the compassion.

--
Regarding childhood traumas, it's also useful to understand what drove others' behaviors, sometimes they were just repeating what they had to endure. And when you find out their motivations, it's easier for you to not put yourself in the position of a victim (it might even require some effort on your part to not feel pity for them) and avoid resentment.

Last edited:

Birdie

Hugh, this has to be a joke.

What pharmaceutical do you have a coupon for?

More than 350 reviewers disagree with you:
BAND-AID® Brand HYDRO SEAL™ Bandages All Purpose, 10 Count
The only confounding factor is that they might actually be getting paid to say that, just like you on some of your sponsored posts.

You sound like an honest person, I empathize that you must be going through a rough time to accept that. It's unfortunate.

When I was little I got chased by (aggressive) ducklings for no apparent reason, but I already worked on that as an adult; I no longer remain on alert mode trying to antecipate the next persecution, believing that there are conspiracies against me. I don't think I need to check myself any further, but thanks for the compassion.

--
Regarding childhood traumas, it's also useful to understand what drove others' behaviors, sometimes they were just repeating what they had to endure. And when you find out their motivations, it's easier for you to not put yourself in the position of a victim (it might even require some effort on your part to not feel pity for them) and avoid resentment.
That part about trying to understand what drove others' behaviours is helpful. There are lots of parts to this. And one gets used to childhood abuse, then, later being at home with it. Then, easy to accept it as an adult.

Amazoniac

one gets used to childhood abuse, then, later being at home with it. Then, easy to accept it as an adult.
Birdie, it's the origin of Band-Aid:
Parent abuse > increased tolerance for or seeking abusive partner > 'spanking again > bruise > Band-Aid: heals you in enough time to reconsider the report >'

Last edited:

fradon

Hi all,
I am looking for suggestions on healing as an adult from things that occured in one's childhood. As far as I know the effects of childhood trauma can be lifelong, but I am wondering how much hope there is for recovery and what are some good ways to teach the body that it is no longer in danger. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

a lot of it emotional muscle memory and things like yoga can help stretch those muscles and help bring any hidden emotions to the surface. massage also works this way.

also if possible confront the person who created the issues in the first place if possible. if they are too old then maybe they just have to forgive the issue.

Lolinaa

a lot of it emotional muscle memory and things like yoga can help stretch those muscles and help bring any hidden emotions to the surface. massage also works this way.

also if possible confront the person who created the issues in the first place if possible. if they are too old then maybe they just have to forgive the issue.

A lot of people who create stress and bs to others are often cowards. They will never admit what they did was wrong. Most lack the awareness and empathy to do so. I have been baffled by some people's dishonnesty to give them credit for any confrontation.
I have a very expressive face so the disgust for them is visual, and you can add I pity you.

Save your time and saliva lol. If needed report them to any authorities.

I have tried a few things of the suggestions above like emdr, it can bring relief from the memory. I was just laughing it off, 3 sessions were enough.

The Psychologist talk therapy doesn’t help in my case. While its good to vent, it can become just venting and not acting. You need actions to be the master of your life. And I don’t feel its healthy.
You have to leave the past behind and take the lessons. Keep talking about something which brings you down and make you cry is not healthy in my opinion.

One other things I did was shaking it off with a stress release exercise.

I think the best suggestions are to work on your metabolism. Eat healthy, rest, do some activities like yoga, dancing or stretching or just walking enjoying the sun. Connect with healthy people with whom you feel comfortable. Above all listen to your body.

Last edited:

Peatogenic

Going through the frameworks is the only way to leave them. It has nothing to do with physiology and everything to do with physiology. It has nothing to do with childhood development and everything to do with childhood development. CPTSD is not a figment of the imagination, it's a very specific glass in a very specific cupboard....and at the same time it's the universal drive for self actualization. It's both a spectrum across all populations, and the minority are the most severely robbed of birthrights. To know who one is even if one doesn't know who they are. To not feel guilty for existing. People without CPTSD aren't deluding themselves or running from their own trauma when they feel a certain person is an enigma, inconsolable. Every journey has a "waking up", but not every journey includes dehumanization that causes a dissociated/depersonalized dream state. Truth is relative until it is not...like when someone tells you that you were abused, the entire world knows it's abuse, but you had no idea. As sophisticated survival animals, most of the population learns how to see a threat. With conditioned abuse, reality becomes muddy and confusing and unknowable....that precise definition of hell, the inability to ever know or understand. But most humans have this mysterious navigation tool that carries them through. It's very subtle and taken for granted. It's the indwelling assumption that things are going to work themselves out. And yet, existing in culture is its own form of abuse that infects everyone, everyone must wake up as well and realize their authoritarian reality is not human or living, sort of the baseline trauma of civilization. Even the long held custom of the parent ruling over the child, we are all dealing with contradictions between mind and body, a fragmentation of identity. Yet not as many have the physiological imprint of doom, a confusion that cannot be named, or the prognosis of homelessness, and the seemingly inevitable last resting place of psychosis.

I have no idea what gods decided to intervene, some call it an all-knowing unconscious, but it's really sad to imagine where I would be had I not gone digging, had I not had my voracious rumination and introspection, had there not been that last bit of thyroid to steer me away from learned helplessness, had I not experienced psychotherapy with my questioning eye, had I not had an inkling of biochemical processes, so many variables that just lined up and ended up rescuing me from an altered state of consciousness.

Last edited: