Stress And Trauma In Childhood

Luann

Hi all,
I am looking for suggestions on healing as an adult from things that occured in one's childhood. As far as I know the effects of childhood trauma can be lifelong, but I am wondering how much hope there is for recovery and what are some good ways to teach the body that it is no longer in danger. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Nebula

I think in many instances a big part of recovering from trauma can be assisted a lot by toning the vagus nerve and other parts of the nervous system towards a perception of safety. As it seems that trauma might sensitize the nervous system to get stuck in stressed states associated with the trauma until another strong stimulus comes along to imprint a new state.

I can't claim to have suffered any severe traumas, just what the average person does in their childhood, but I found sprinting regularly to make some very significant positive shifts in my views of the past, feel safer, more confident in the present and an optimism about the future. Its made it much easier to feel this way by default.

I wouldn't expect it to be a full cure, but I do think sprinting is something to consider as part of a strategy to shift physiological changes from trauma back towards a perception of safety. My theory is that most creatures have an instinct to "sprint" at maximum speed when stressed and modern society has reduced the normal opportunities to express this instinct regularly, which can serve to bring the organism's nervous system back into sensing the status of the present moment and signal to the brain that it is safe.

There are probably many other ways to accomplish similar changes in the nervous system and brain, but sprinting is definitely something that I can claim has had a positive effect on my perception of my traumas and making them something I am much less preoccupied with.

Last edited:

Pulstar

I've noticed that if I feel full of energy and motivation (good moods, ate well, slept well etc) memories of the past are not that big of a deal. Why would they worry me if I have so much potential energy and feel well at present moment?

Also, have a look at this thread regarding serotonin impact. I beleive, healing is possible.

OP
Luann

Luann

If you have no issues, don't go digging. You will create the problems you seek.

If you have issues in the present moment, then act, but with a light touch.

This seems wise, thank you for giving me that to reflect on.

I've noticed that if I feel full of energy and motivation (good moods, ate well, slept well etc) memories of the past are not that big of a deal. Why would they worry me if I have so much potential energy and feel well at present moment?

Also, have a look at this thread regarding serotonin impact. I beleive, healing is possible.

I am sure present health has a lot to do with the impact of the past. I'll remember to stay rested and fed today...

I wouldn't expect it to be a full cure, but I do think sprinting is something to consider as part of a strategy to shift physiological changes from trauma back towards a perception of safety. My theory is that most creatures have an instinct to "sprint" at maximum speed when stressed and modern society has reduced the normal opportunities to express this instinct regularly, which can serve to bring the organism's nervous system back into sensing the status of the present moment and signal to the brain that it safe.

This seems awesome, I do feel that the modern world finds lots of ways to tamper with one's feeling of safety. I was reading an forum that described a person's reluctance to shower because the exhaust fan in his bathroom took away his sense of hearing the outside world.

Arrade

Live such a good life in your adulthood it outweighs the childhood

johnsmith

Much is spoken on this forum in terms of biology effecting the mind. Mind effecting biology seems less talked about, but it no doubt can. I'm about to look into and study hypnotherapy. Somatic healing has been mentioned on this forum a few times as well. I don't know much about either, nor can I distinguish the effective sources vs the garbage in either of those fields. As we all know, there is a lot of garbage out there.

zewe

EFT Emotional Freedom Technique otherwise known as Tapping.

TAPPING TUTORIAL:

FOR TRAUMA AND ABUSE:

zewe

@Liubo Somatic healing is done with a therapist. You'll have to search for one who has this method in their speciality list. It's not something you do on your own. But you should read up so you understand how trauma gets trapped in the body.

Peter A. Levine has written a number of books on it which you can find at link below. The best to start with is, "Waking the Tiger....."

Books by Peter A. Levine (Author of Waking the Tiger)

EFT is something you can use yourself. There are laypeople who do this but you'd have to search them out. To read more on tapping and get a good understanding of it, read the book, "The Tapping Solution." Here is the website with more examples of tapping:

www.thetappingsolution.com/?cookieUUID=15051155-eb52-42d4-b1c5-d2410ad5272a

However, I must add that EFT was originally introduced in 1995 by Gary Craig. Here's what he has to say about all the spin offs:

When I introduced EFT to the public in 1995, I had no idea it would be in the hands of millions. Accordingly, I offered it with an "open hand" wherein there were no royalties or legal fences of any kind. That generosity, however, did not include a license to change it.

As human nature unfolded, however, enthusiastic people filtered EFT through their own belief systems and, as a result, changed it and recreated EFT in their own images. Accordingly, you will find hundreds of EFT websites on the internet and over one thousand EFT books on Amazon.com. No two are the same. For more info see About Those EFT Tapping Spin-Offs.

To address this problem, I have trademarked Official EFT™, Gold standard EFT™, Optimal EFT™ and The Unseen Therapist™ and appointed "Gary Craig Official EFT Centers." I granted the Gary Craig Official EFT Centers the exclusive rights to offer Official EFT information and trainings in English and various other languages worldwide.

https://www.emofree.com/a/?1175/1

Gary Craig has since taken EFT to a very high teaching using The Unseen Therapist which enters into the spiritual aspect of yourself and healing.

This might be too woo woo for some but as time treads on, what was yesterday's magic will become today's science, as people begin to understand and accept the nature of subtle energies.

zewe

What are the Subtle Energies? Are they real?

Date: Fri Apr 18 2014 00:00:00 GMT-0700 (PDT)

Mystics of all times have talked of subtle energies that make our bodies, and everything around us. What are they?

220px-Ki_obsolete.svg.png
We who practice any form of energy healing use words like "energy," or "energy fields," or "subtle energies" for lack of any better words or phrases. These are descriptive words to explain the forces we work with in energy healing, even if these aren't technically the best words to use. Even though "energy" or "energy field" is descriptive, a physicist might well roll their eyes and say we can't be using these words correctly, or that we're caught up in fantasies based on non-empirical beliefs.

Generally speaking the subtle energies appear to be a fundamental force from which the physical world is constructed. We say "appear to be" because the majority of knowledge about the subtle energies is derived from subjective observations by mystics over the milennia. There has been extremely little scientific study of the subtle energies by physicists, and therefore no objective model of the subtle energies exists. As a result scientists dismiss discussion of the subtle energies because all the evidence is subjective (hence, susceptible to observer bias) and not objective.

That mystics of all cultures and all times recognize the subtle energies is strong evidence of their existence.

A big question is whether the subtle energies could concievably be studied and measured by physicists using some sort of measuring instrument. Some claim the subtle energies are not part of the universe, and are therefore unquantifiable by scientists. Others claim they must be part of the universe, and therefore must be measurable by the correct sort of instrument, and therefore physicists could study the subtle energies and develop a field of physics around them.

We commonly say that everything is vibration, and everything expresses itself in varying degrees of vibration. Dr Nikola Tesla has been quoted: "If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration".

We who sense the subtle energies are sensing something. Because our bodies are our sensing instrument, the information is perceived through the sensory organs, resulting in terms like clairvoyance (sight) or clairaudience (sound). We are doing our best to describe the subjective experience of those energies, but it can be like that parable of the blind men describing an elephant. They cannot see the whole creature, they can only describe the part they touch, and each of them describe different objects.

The subtle energies is different than the empirically understood energies like electromagnetism. The existence of subtle energies has not (yet) been measured objectively by scientific instruments. Some alternate healing systems use empirically understood energies, like electromagnetic therapy, but in ways that aren't supported by accepted mainstream medicine.

SOURCE:
What are the Subtle Energies? Are they real?

Amazoniac

If you have no issues, don't go digging. You will create the problems you seek.

If you have issues in the present moment, then act, but with a light touch.
Hugh, I have no other choice but to believe that you're actually getting paid to say that. She has an issue, otherwise there would be no thread. What deserves consideration is if it's not misattribution.

It's important to know our motivations to avoid traps that are only realized when there's already too much mess to be dealt with. She might marry a guy that enjoys spanking her on saturdays, just like her dad did as his favorite sport, for example. And then she'll manufacture a fetus with this guy and buy mansions throughout the Usanda.

One day she realizes that her life has been a fraud, developed on the wrong reasons, similar to a scientist that has put a great deal of effort on something only to realize later that it was in vain after discovering what was really going on.

Yes, she will divorce, but her partner wouldn't give her an easy escape out of that, their fortune is intertwined. After decades of hell she eventually gives up but still carry the fetus around giving her mixed feelings: joy, but also a reminder of her terrible choices.

Sweeping things under the carpet with the belief that T3 is dignifying your behavior can be tricky. It's worth understanding what drives those. Do dig if you feel like and the light touch can be added by sometimes analyzing it from the third person.

Last edited:

alywest

Liubo, I'm not sure what you are suffering because of, or how severe the trauma is, if it's full-blown PTSD or what. I do know that some research I have done has shown me to the fact that I tend to not produce enough of the enzyme 3a-hsd which breaks down progesterone into its metabolites like allopregnanolone. All along I have been struggling because nothing that Ray Peat recommended gave me much relief, including progesterone which was supposed to be so calming. For me the answer has been taking a really low dose SSRI (pre-SSRI dose) and also adding in DHEA and pregnenolone. I also have used PEA (palmitoylethanolamide) and/or defibron. The results have been awesome.
I tried so hard for so long with therapy, self-help, drugs, everything. The only times I ever really felt good or alive even were on things like MDMA and mushrooms. Since I got the combination right for myself, I feel less like the entire core of my being is just a hot volcano ready to explode in pain or emotional agony. Always, even during the good times, I could feel this pain and heat burning within me under the surface, and everything hurt, even if it was supposed to be pleasurable. All I can say is I don't feel as much like an open wound just walking around, hoping for the approval of others to make the pain go away. Is my life perfect now? No, I still feel like deep healing is going on, and I am still seeking counseling, especially when it comes to codependent behaviors that I think are the natural consequence of being abused and mistreated during one's childhood. I have found group therapy to be very helpful, but until I started getting the hormones straightened out, I was still struggling with that internal sense of self doubt and desperate need for approval. Now I can even handle rejection without feeling the intense pain, or even the need to justify myself or be definsive. It takes time, even when you start the treatment, but others have concurred that the low dose SSRI is extremely calming. For me it's as if a switch that was broken a long time ago got turned on again.

Here is the actual study that led me to these results. Obviously you might not find that it's for you, but I thought I would share it:
Biomarkers for PTSD at the Interface of the Endocannabinoid and Neurosteroid Axis :

"compelling evidence indicates stimulation of the intracellular endocannabinoid target, peroxisome-proliferator activated receptor (PPAR)-α by its endogenous neuromodulator, N-palmitoylethanolamine (PEA) engages the biosynthesis of neurosteroids to modulate emotional behavior (Locci and Pinna,2017b; Locci et al., 2018)"

"Given that endoannabinoids activate PPAR-α (Marsicano et al., 2002; Pistis and Melis, 2010), the activation of these nuclear receptors represents a novel mechanism by which cannabinoids may modulate behavior. The endocannabinoid congener, N-palmitoylethanolamine (PEA) is a PPAR-α endogenous agonist, which is decreased in PTSD patients (Wilker et al., 2016). Recent preclinical findings showed that supplementing PEA in rodent PTSD models improves emotional behavior by enhancing allopregnanolone biosynthesis in corticolimbic glutamatergic neurons."

Also, DHEA in low doses topically and higher amounts of pregnenolone orally have really tipped the scales in terms of overall well-being and a sense of peace. I think as women our hormones play such an integral part in our experience, whether we are still menstruating, perimenopausal, or postmenopausal. I know these subject matters get discussed a lot on this forum but it seems like the larger part of it is talking about maximizing testosterone, etc.

NinaElisa

So, I have explored so many things throughout the years, some were already mentioned above. It is good to act in different fronts. Now I'm reading a book now that is a total game-changer for me! If you want to check it out: "Complex ptsd: from surviving to thriving. Peter Walker. "

Hugh Johnson

Hugh, I have no other choice but to believe that you're actually getting paid to say that. She has an issue, otherwise there would be no thread. What deserves consideration is if it's not misattribution.

It's important to know our motivations to avoid traps that are only realized when there's already too much mess to be dealt with. She might marry a guy that enjoys spanking her on saturdays, just like her dad did as his favorite sport, for example. And then she'll manufacture a fetus with this guy and buy mansions throughout the Usanda.

One day she realizes that her life has been a fraud, developed on the wrong reasons, similar to a scientist that has put a great deal of effort on something only to realize later that it was in vain after discovering what was really going on.

Yes, she will divorce, but her partner wouldn't give her an easy escape out of that, their fortune is intertwined. After decades of hell she eventually gives up but still carry the fetus around giving her mixed feelings: joy, but also a reminder of her terrible choices.

Sweeping things under the carpet with the belief that T3 is dignifying your behavior can be tricky. It's worth understanding what drives those. Do dig if you feel like and the light touch can be added by sometimes analyzing it from the third person.
And who would I be paid by, exactly?

Hugh Johnson

It shouldn't be difficult for you to verify your bank statement.

GaO05ZmgdP2OSHnQcVeMFK7KMAlk4pLnP-GJKFtSRwAaCJEwbi7tNZLKUejUlTaaZJpMhZctoyiclaperDFHu0Lj8qWFLEBDvRU58nsqOg=w128-h128-nc

B _ _
_ h _ _ m a

Big Pharma, that wants to profit on her impulsive decisions selling her band-aids and antidepressants.
So I here at Ray Peat forum with years of history have been approached by big pharma to convince people who have no problems to not go digging into their past so that... they don't spend money going to therapy and taking drugs? Are you sure you have a functional reality test? Nothing you say or have said in this thread is remotely sane, including your fantasy about marrying a dude that spank OP.