Strange Reaction To L-dopa And Maca

kineticz

Hi guys

I tried some of my old maca and l dopa combo to see if it would further help the adrenals convert cholesterol to adrenal hormones

I found that my heart rate rapidly increased, my vision and mood become manic, lower back ache (which I've had before when the adrenals are taxxed), I had to lie down and have a nap and the dream was intense.

Strangely I have just woke up and feel kind of euphoric. Did I go hyperthyroid?

Does a reduction in prolactin and serotonin really increase thyroid and the body's sensitivity to glucose as Ray states?

Haidut said that prolactin influences progesterone somehow?

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Such_Saturation said:
L-dopa turns into dopamine :mrgreen:

Hi mate, any thoughts on why an increase in dopamine might cause hyperthyroid symptoms?

I'm sure I read haidut saying prolactin interferes with thyroid.

After the nap and things calmed down, such as now, my mood is excellent. I have been reducing serotonin and adrenaline quite intensely so also wondered if an increase in dopamine led to downstream increases in norephiprene which is a potent ACTH and TRH stimulator.

kineticz said:
Such_Saturation said:

Hi mate, any thoughts on why an increase in dopamine might cause hyperthyroid symptoms?

After the nap and things calmed down, such as now, my mood is excellent. I have been reducing serotonin and adrenaline quite intensely so also wondered if an increase in dopamine led to downstream increases in norephiprene which is a potent ACTH and TRH stimulator.

Hi, Wikipedia claims a lot of these are just l-dopa side effects, which I guess would simply mean lots of dopamine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-DOPA#Side_effects Also this guy got some muscle aches http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/77 ... -achepain/

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Such_Saturation said:
kineticz said:
Such_Saturation said:

Hi, Wikipedia claims a lot of these are just l-dopa side effects, which I guess would simply mean lots of dopamine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-DOPA#Side_effects Also this guy got some muscle aches http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/77 ... -achepain/

Maybe this is the case. Although aren't many of those symptoms parallel to hyperthyroidism? With prolonged high prolactin and high adrenaline, I must have been really dopamine deficient.

But besides that reaction, I feel my thyroid is working better, so would be curious on how prolactin interferes with thyroid/progesterone.

Ray Peat mentions the serotonin to dopamine balance a lot, and of course the state that he advocates for implies little suppression and lots of motivation to do things, and in addition the calmness that results from having enough energy to react to stimulation implies that less dopamine is transformed for adrenergic activation. But Ray Peat does not put dopamine at the center nor does he think more is always better.

Estrogen and related substances essentially exist to help you sacrifice some of your acidity for the offspring, I think milk secretion is in this context a good example of this principle in action at a higher level of function. So they too are life substances.

If you are looking for the reductionistic chain of events it will be difficult to find that out with Ray Peat; it is usually pointed out the effect of swelling-dividing versus structure forming. Maybe this quote goes well with what you are saying.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/calcium.shtml said:
Some of the interactions of hormones and other regulatory chemicals are interesting, even though they are normally treated as if they were parts of a machine that operates according to a hidden program written in the genes. Prolactin, which is increased under the influence of estrogen or serotonin, causes the body to lose calcium (drawing it from the bones), and it stimulates the secretion of PTH, which compensates for the calcium loss by increasing its mobilization from bones. Prolactins action on bone is at least partly by increasing IL-6 formation; IL-6 stimulates the release of prolactin. Serotonin and IL-6 stimulate each others secretion, and PTH and serotonin each stimulate the others release..
PTH (like estrogen and serotonin) inhibits cellular respiration and activates glycolysis, lowering the ATP level and shifting the cells metabolism toward the production of lactic acid rather than carbon dioxide. PTH also causes bicarbonate to be lost in the urine.
Since the formation of carbon dioxide lowers the intracellular pH, and the formation of lactic acid raises it (through the reaction of NADH with pyruvate), the proteins in the cell become more strongly negatively charged under the influence of oxygen deprivation, or under the influence of these hormones. In the cell with high pH and increased negative electrical charge, the positively charged calcium ion is absorbed into the cytoplasm. The calcium can enter from the relatively concentrated external fluid, but it can also be released from acidic intracellular stores, the way serotonin is released by a disturbance of pH.
There are several other pro-inflammatory substances, such as the cytokines, that have a similar effect on cellular energy systems.

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Such_Saturation said:
Ray Peat mentions the serotonin to dopamine balance a lot, and of course the state that he advocates for implies little suppression and lots of motivation to do things, and in addition the calmness that results from having enough energy to react to stimulation implies that less dopamine is transformed for adrenergic activation. But Ray Peat does not put dopamine at the center nor does he think more is always better.

Estrogen and related substances essentially exist to help you sacrifice some of your acidity for the offspring, I think milk secretion is in this context a good example of this principle in action at a higher level of function. So they too are life substances.

If you are looking for the reductionistic chain of events it will be difficult to find that out with Ray Peat; it is usually pointed out the effect of swelling-dividing versus structure forming. Maybe this quote goes well with what you are saying.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/calcium.shtml said:
Some of the interactions of hormones and other regulatory chemicals are interesting, even though they are normally treated as if they were parts of a machine that operates according to a hidden program written in the genes. Prolactin, which is increased under the influence of estrogen or serotonin, causes the body to lose calcium (drawing it from the bones), and it stimulates the secretion of PTH, which compensates for the calcium loss by increasing its mobilization from bones. Prolactins action on bone is at least partly by increasing IL-6 formation; IL-6 stimulates the release of prolactin. Serotonin and IL-6 stimulate each others secretion, and PTH and serotonin each stimulate the others release..
PTH (like estrogen and serotonin) inhibits cellular respiration and activates glycolysis, lowering the ATP level and shifting the cells metabolism toward the production of lactic acid rather than carbon dioxide. PTH also causes bicarbonate to be lost in the urine.
Since the formation of carbon dioxide lowers the intracellular pH, and the formation of lactic acid raises it (through the reaction of NADH with pyruvate), the proteins in the cell become more strongly negatively charged under the influence of oxygen deprivation, or under the influence of these hormones. In the cell with high pH and increased negative electrical charge, the positively charged calcium ion is absorbed into the cytoplasm. The calcium can enter from the relatively concentrated external fluid, but it can also be released from acidic intracellular stores, the way serotonin is released by a disturbance of pH.
There are several other pro-inflammatory substances, such as the cytokines, that have a similar effect on cellular energy systems.

That is brilliant, I will increase my organic milk intake especially at night where I do sometimes wake up with the arthritic conditions in the shoulders and neck.

Often I notice that when I drink milk before bed I wake up with lots of lactic acid buildup. I don't know why, perhaps it's just too heavy a food for the sleeping intestines.

Back
Top Bottom