Strange reaction to inositol

Supposedly orange juice contains a gram of inositol per litre, and I drink about 2 litres of OJ daily, which would mean I'm getting about 2 grams of inositol daily, no problem. When I have tried to supplement inositol (I have tried different brands), I always get the same strange reactions. I get very warm and flushed in my face, my veins start twitching, I get agitated (and insomnia), and my heart rate increases and pounds loudly. I have tried adding the inositol to juice, not drinking the OJ and taking the inositol, etc. but always get the same reaction.
What could be happening here? Is there possibly a cofactor for inositol found in the juice, and supplementation is making things unbalanced? Doesn't make sense considering some people supplement up to 16 grams of the stuff.

Razvan

Supposedly orange juice contains a gram of inositol per litre, and I drink about 2 litres of OJ daily, which would mean I'm getting about 2 grams of inositol daily, no problem. When I have tried to supplement inositol (I have tried different brands), I always get the same strange reactions. I get very warm and flushed in my face, my veins start twitching, I get agitated (and insomnia), and my heart rate increases and pounds loudly. I have tried adding the inositol to juice, not drinking the OJ and taking the inositol, etc. but always get the same reaction.
What could be happening here? Is there possibly a cofactor for inositol found in the juice, and supplementation is making things unbalanced? Doesn't make sense considering some people supplement up to 16 grams of the stuff.
Supplementing inositol doesn't seem like a good idea.

Frankdee20

Dude, you are not alone... Inositol is often purported to help anxiety and insomnia.... I tried it a few times at different occasions, and always got the same reaction... like flashback to bad trips from SSRI.... severe anxiety, panic, and insomnia.... it went away after a day or so .... When I looked into this, it seems to effect the serotonin 2A receptor (increases it).... That leads to neuroticism and trips.... I don’t like anything that increases 2A (Saint Johns Wort, and Ashwaganda)...

Frankdee20

However, citrus and beans have quite a bit and these foods don’t bother me

Frankdee20

16 grams is absolutely insane and you are referring to an Israeli study that saw efficacy for OCD