Strange Craving For Tobacco And I've Never Smoked A Cigarette Before

answersfound

Westside PUFAs said:
answersfound said:
There is no Peat diet. There never was and there never will be.

Not officially. But there is a basic template with some key factors that are pretty important:

"Avoiding the stress-promoting antithyroid unsaturated oils is extremely important. Their role in diabetes, cancer, and other age-related and degenerative diseases (and I think this includes the estrogen-promoted autoimmune diseases) is well established." - RP

"Polyunsaturated fats can be reduced by careful selection of foods, but the food industry is finding ways to contaminate traditionally safe foods, such as beef and milk, by using new kinds of animal feed. Still, milk, cheese, beef, and lamb are safe, considering their high nutritional content, and the remarkable purification that occurs in the rumen of cows, sheep, and goats." -RP

“For the present, the important thing is to avoid the use of the least appropriate food products, while choosing natural foods that have historical, epidemiological, and biochemical justification.” –RP

"Drinking coffee seems to be very protective against developing diabetes. Its niacin and magnesium are clearly important, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, and it helps to maintain normal thyroid and progesterone production. Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants."–RP

"It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium." - A quote that Ray put in his calcium article from a book called "Lets Eat Right to Keep Fit, Adelle Davis, Signet, 1970."

"Choosing the right foods, the right atmosphere, the right mental and physical activities, and finding the optimal rhythms of light, darkness, and activity, can begin to alter the streaming renewal of cells in all the organs. Designing a more perfect environment is going to be much simpler than the schemes of the genetic engineers." - RP

“But I think the most important point to remember is that it is essential for maintaining adequate blood volume, and that it is almost always unphysiological and irrational to restrict sodium intake, because reduced blood volume tends to reduce the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to all tissues, leading to many problems.” - RP

"Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal. In excess, it can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses."- RP

answersfound said:
Your body is always telling you something. Are you listening?

No.

answersfound said:
The less supplements, the better. Minimalism for the win.

Not true:

…and others can be improved by modifying the diet, and supplementing with things such as the protective steroids, thyroid hormone, aspirin, niacinimide, and caffeine.” - RP from his July 2014 newsletter.

One of many Peat pro-supplementation quotes.

answersfound said:
Embrace the process. Always trust your intuition.

K.

Not going to read any of this, but you have way too much time on your hands.

answersfound said:

Nothing one enjoys is a waste of time. I enjoy participating on nutrition forums. Please go tell people who go to Comic Con that they have "way too much time on their hands." ;)

Makrosky

answersfound said:

I found WestSidePUFA's post interesting. I'm grateful there are plenty of people with "too much time on their hands" that post useful and valid information using their time to help others and contributing to the knowledge-base.

jyb said:
Westside PUFAs said:
Nicotine really plays with your dopamine receptors. People who are addicted to it are weak and don't have willpower. I know because I was one of them.

You could say the same about coffee though. I'm sure many here would say they feel crap if they stopped taking it. I understand from a Peat point of view that addiction becomes easier when health is not great. Not just nicotine, but anything that could have a good effect to improve mood or reduce stress. On the other hand, I feel like things like nicotine, caffeine, pregnenolone, maybe cypro and a lot of other things, can still add something unique even if you're in good health while being probably less addictive than when health is less good. So when someone posts that they take X or Y and it boosts dopamine, I think this could be irrespective of whether they're in good health or not. Of course if they say they are desperate and need it to feel good, that's different. So in the case of cigarette, in my opinion the unique effect is creativity and it can be felt with just 1 cigarette a day. At that dose, it's not addictive. I experimented in the past, it's really not. So, for me its similar to coffee - the fact that it plays with dopamine or something else in your brain doesn't really show that its bad even if it could be.

The difference would be though that the coffee is not poisoning you with carbon monoxide and estrogenic soot. Also, I've found caffeine addiction/withdrawal to be NOTHING compared to nicotine addiction and especially withdrawal. Nicotine is much more powerful with that. 1 cig a day not addictive? I disagree.

Makrosky

Westside PUFAs said:
jyb said:
Westside PUFAs said:
Nicotine really plays with your dopamine receptors. People who are addicted to it are weak and don't have willpower. I know because I was one of them.

You could say the same about coffee though. I'm sure many here would say they feel crap if they stopped taking it. I understand from a Peat point of view that addiction becomes easier when health is not great. Not just nicotine, but anything that could have a good effect to improve mood or reduce stress. On the other hand, I feel like things like nicotine, caffeine, pregnenolone, maybe cypro and a lot of other things, can still add something unique even if you're in good health while being probably less addictive than when health is less good. So when someone posts that they take X or Y and it boosts dopamine, I think this could be irrespective of whether they're in good health or not. Of course if they say they are desperate and need it to feel good, that's different. So in the case of cigarette, in my opinion the unique effect is creativity and it can be felt with just 1 cigarette a day. At that dose, it's not addictive. I experimented in the past, it's really not. So, for me its similar to coffee - the fact that it plays with dopamine or something else in your brain doesn't really show that its bad even if it could be.

The difference would be though that the coffee is not poisoning you with carbon monoxide and estrogenic soot. Also, I've found caffeine addiction/withdrawal to be NOTHING compared to nicotine addiction and especially withdrawal. Nicotine is much more powerful with that. 1 cig a day not addictive? I disagree.

"Coffee addiction is NOTHING compared to nicotine addiction"

I can attest that through personal experience.

jyb

Westside PUFAs said:
1 cig a day not addictive? I disagree.

I experimented with up to a few cigs per day (organic hand rolled with much higher nicotine content than average) and also gum snus nicotine which is absorbed very well (no need for carbon monoxide if you don't want it). I sometimes had to insert a note in my daily schedule to remind me to take it. And each time I ran out, I forgot about it so can't say there was a significant withdrawal effect. Although I find nicotine can be at least as strong as coffee and has interesting and unique effects, I find coffee more addictive.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Makrosky said:
answersfound said:

I found WestSidePUFA's post interesting. I'm grateful there are plenty of people with "too much time on their hands" that post useful and valid information using their time to help others and contributing to the knowledge-base.

I second that :geek:

OP
F

FredSonoma

jyb said:
Westside PUFAs said:
1 cig a day not addictive? I disagree.

I experimented with up to a few cigs per day (organic hand rolled with much higher nicotine content than average) and also gum snus nicotine which is absorbed very well (no need for carbon monoxide if you don't want it). I sometimes had to insert a note in my daily schedule to remind me to take it. And each time I ran out, I forgot about it so can't say there was a significant withdrawal effect. Although I find nicotine can be at least as strong as coffee and has interesting and unique effects, I find coffee more addictive.

Where did you buy the snus?

jyb

FredSonoma said:
Where did you buy the snus?

From the usual online Swedish snus shops. I just made sure it wasn't American snus, as it is well known to be toxic due to its different preparation process.

OP
F

FredSonoma

From reading online, I've read that nicotine speeds up metabolism and heart rate. Would this be good?

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
From reading online, I've read that nicotine speeds up metabolism and heart rate. Would this be good?

If your metabolism is slow, then yes! If it is not, then no!

jyb

answersfound said:
FredSonoma said:

Not true. It would be like saying caffeine doesn't do anything if you're healthy. But it does, you'll feel the effect of caffeine in some way or another. All these chemicals have a distinct effect.

answersfound

jyb said:
answersfound said:
FredSonoma said:

Not true. It would be like saying caffeine doesn't do anything if you're healthy. But it does, you'll feel the effect of caffeine in some way or another. All these chemicals have a distinct effect.

Yea, you're probably right. But I don't crave cigarettes and caffeine when my metabolism is running optimally.

OP
F

FredSonoma

So would it be stupid to actually pick up smoking hoping it will speed up my metabolism, and then combined with a strict Peat diet, that once my metabolism is optimal, I won't be horribly addicted? Or would it be smarter to try supplementing with Thyroid and vitamin E (or something like that) first? (what supplements are recommend to people just beginning?)

jyb

FredSonoma said:
So would it be stupid to actually pick up smoking hoping it will speed up my metabolism, and then combined with a strict Peat diet, that once my metabolism is optimal, I won't be horribly addicted? Or would it be smarter to try supplementing with Thyroid and vitamin E (or something like that) first? (what supplements are recommend to people just beginning?)

Can't be sure because smoking also has poison like carbon monoxide, so better have the health required for repair. I personally think pure nicotine / snus seems safe and non-addictive (assuming you take a reasonable dose), but others on this thread seem to disagree with my experiences on addiction so don't take my word for it. Obviously many people seem to get addicted to cigarette so I believe it, but I didn't detect any addiction on my low-ish dose nicotine experiments. I didn't take it specifically to raise metabolism, just curious about it and it is somewhat fun (it seems to raise dopamine a bit). Ray doesn't seem to think much about nicotine, the only side effect he mentioned seems to be wrinkles.

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
Yea, smoke cigarettes. And do a water fast while youre at it.

tara

I would not recommend taking up smoking. The smoke contains various toxins that are a burden.

I heard that regular users of snus had an increased risk of mouth cancers, but have not verified.

As a beginner, I recommend addressing food first, and possibly some micronutrient supplementation where you have trouble geting plenty from diet. Make sure you are getting enough calories, protein, minerals, vitamins. Peat often recommends vitamin E while PUFA stores are high and 50-100mg niacinamide to help with sugar oxidation. Other B-vits and fat soluble vitamins may also be useful.

When you've had that in place for a while, and monitored your body temps and heart rate and considered hypothyroid symptoms, serotonin, estrogen, histamine symptoms, etc, you can start to think about whether some cautious supplementation with other substances makes sense. Haidut has posted about many possible supplements that are less toxic than cigarette smoke.

Parsifal

Blinkyrocket said:
post 91783 I personally love the smell of cigarette smoke o_O
Coffee has toxins too apparently.
Which ones? How do they act as toxins on the body?

Last edited by a moderator: