Store bought orange juice

cartz

Hi,

I'm new to Ray Peat's ideas and am glad to have found this forum. My plan is to slowly start to learn about and try implementing his ideas to see if they will work for me.

Anyway, I appreciate that squeezing and filtering your own OJ is the best option. But assuming that I'm going down the store bought route I'm trying to get my head around avoiding OJ made from concentrate.

My understanding is Peat used to drink juice from concentrate but then started having some negative reactions to some enzyme that had started being used in the process so then went down the path of squeezing his own. The alternative is Not From Concentrate (NFC) OJ.

The following article gives an interesting comparison of the two types:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/39769 ... ncentrate/

Now in reading that article I'm thinking that maybe I'm better off going with OJ from concentrate provided I don't experience any adverse reactions.

I haven't found anything where Peat said specifically that NFC is better, instead simply an explanation as to why he changed from concentrate to fresh. I wonder if various Peat followers have misinterpreted things and assumed NFC was next best to fresh simply because is wasn't from concentrate.

Of course I'm totally new to all of this and am simply trying to work out what I should buy. If anyone can clarify this for me that would be most appreciated.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
cartz, welcome to the forum! :welcome

That is a very interested article that you posted. It really does look like concentrate would be the best choice and I think what you have made is a great observation. I am hoping more people will chime in about this.

I do plan on trying some concentrate and seeing how it goes. So I will report back in later.

Birdie

Cartz, I also remember Peat's talking about fluoridated water and concentrated oj..

OP
cartz

cartz

Thanks for the welcome Charlie. I look forward to hearing how you go with the concentrate.

Hi Birdie. After I posted the fluoride issue did occur to me. Unless we are squeezing it ourselves then it's always going to be a case of which evil is worse when it comes to store bought. Assuming that the article I linked to is correct I am thinking it would still be best to lean towards the concentrate despite the fluoride. After all, Peat did consume the concentrate for years without issue until some enzyme reacted with him (which may be a very individual thing). As OJ makes up a large part of the diet I'm more concerned with drinking the most nutritious product assuming I don't react to it. Avoiding fluoride is good but obviously not an absolute must because Peat drinks Coke and there is no avoiding it there.

cliff

Peat has said just a little bit of fluoride can be anti-thyroid even when taking thyroid.

You could get frozen concentrate and mix it yourself.

OP
cartz

cartz

cliff said:

That was my initial plan until I found out it is impossible to buy in Australia, the juice companies only sell it reconstituted. :evil:

Birdie

cartz said:
cliff said:

That was my initial plan until I found out it is impossible to buy in Australia, the juice companies only sell it reconstituted. :evil:
That's surprising. What'll you use then? The NFC I guess. And you can fill in with fruits. That's what I do for now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well my frozen orange juice experience seems to be going well so far.

I tried the Ingles store brand, and it went well. Didn't see/feel any bad signs. Tasted pretty good, maybe even better/fresher tasting then already made kind.

Tried the Walmart store brand, tasted not so good. Maybe even got a little bloating from it.

Next, I am going to try the Minute Made brand. They say all their oranges are from the US. The other brands had oranges from everywhere else like Mexico and other places.

I will keep reporting back.

Yves

I've found even not from concentrate organic OJ can be problematic for me. I've tried 3 different organic fresh non-pulp OJ and one definitely gave me issues, another was better, and the third was very good. I have read mycotoxin contamination is an isssue with OJ. I've noticed it definitely is with coffee as well (most beans are contaminated). Experimenting with brands can make a big difference..

chris

Charlie said:
Well my frozen orange juice experience seems to be going well so far.

I tried the Ingles store brand, and it went well. Didn't see/feel any bad signs. Tasted pretty good, maybe even better/fresher tasting then already made kind.

Tried the Walmart store brand, tasted not so good. Maybe even got a little bloating from it.

Next, I am going to try the Minute Made brand. They say all their oranges are from the US. The other brands had oranges from everywhere else like Mexico and other places.

I will keep reporting back.

Charlie - Any updates?

Also, what is classed as a bad sign when testing various food brands?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Chris, welcome to the forum.

I seem to be doing well on Ingles store brand frozen juice concentrate.

chris

I tried out concentrate for the first time today, what negative effects should I be looking for? I don't think I've noticed any. I emailed the companies enquiring if the water was fluoridated, I'm not from USA and it is uncommon in England so hopefully it hasn't been.