Stopping Or Reducing Dietary Fiber Intake Reduces Constipation And Its Associated Symptoms

franko

The following is quoted from an email newsletter from GutSense.org. I'm not shilling for this guy, he just already did the work of summarizing the cited studies:

EDITED: Removed the aforementioned gutsense commentary and replaced it with the study it referenced and described.

Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

RESULTS: The median age of the patients (16 male, 47 female) was 47 years (range, 20-80 years). At 6 mo, 41 patients remained on a no fiber diet, 16 on a reduced fiber diet, and 6 resumed their high fiber diet for religious or personal reasons. Patients who stopped or reduced dietary fiber had significant improvement in their symptoms while those who continued on a high fiber diet had no change. Of those who stopped fiber completely, the bowel frequency increased from one motion in 3.75 d (± 1.59 d) to one motion in 1.0 d (± 0.0 d) (P < 0.001); those with reduced fiber intake had increased bowel frequency from a mean of one motion per 4.19 d (± 2.09 d) to one motion per 1.9 d (± 1.21 d) on a reduced fiber diet (P < 0.001); those who remained on a high fiber diet continued to have a mean of one motion per 6.83 d (± 1.03 d) before and after consultation. For no fiber, reduced fiber and high fiber groups, respectively, symptoms of bloating were present in 0%, 31.3% and 100% (P < 0.001) and straining to pass stools occurred in 0%, 43.8% and 100% (P < 0.001).

CONCLUSION: Idiopathic constipation and its associated symptoms can be effectively reduced by stopping or even lowering the intake of dietary fiber.

This sure seems like shilling.

But anyway, the study is quite poor according to the abstract. There is no mention of the TYPE of fiber that the "high fiber" people were using.

If they were using bran and cereal grains, then I totally get it. But if they were using say psyllium fiber, then I disagree. There are some good studies showing psyllium fiber works well and has no adverse effects. I've found it a lifesaver.

tomisonbottom

But anyway, the study is quite poor according to the abstract. There is no mention of the TYPE of fiber that the "high fiber" people were using.

If they were using bran and cereal grains, then I totally get it. But if they were using say psyllium fiber, then I disagree. There are some good studies showing psyllium fiber works well and has no adverse effects. I've found it a lifesaver.

Ray has said psyllium can be carcinogenic. And this study confirms that, just so you know...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3025886

'Experiments in laboratory animals, using chemical induction of large bowel cancer, have in general shown a protective effect with supplements of poorly fermentable fibers such as wheat bran or cellulose. In contrast, a number of fermentable fiber supplements including pectin, corn bran, oat bran, undegraded carageenan, agar, psyllium, guar gum, and alfalfa have been shown to enhance tumor development.'

I think that's why he suggests the carrot for fiber instead. Or occasional charcoal.

T

tca300

When did Ray say Psyllium is carcinogenic?? I literally just asked him a few days ago about Psyllium husk and he said it can be helpful for some and constipating for others. In fact in his email archive of questions and answers he said under the carrot topic
"If you want to avoid the carotene of carrots, they can be rinsed after shredding; washed and cooked bran or psyllium husk can be effective, too."
It seems lots of people on this form just say Ray says this or Ray says that, when he actually said no such thing. Its misleading and frustrating.

YuraCZ

I can't poop without 1 heaped tsp of psyllium powder a day right now.. It's also good for softening stool. So who has hemorrhoids. It's a must..

I don't think this is so simple.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01635588709513949

The effect of feeding psyllium husk, a water‐soluble fiber, and cellulose, a water‐insoluble fiber, against chemically induced colon cancer was investigated in rats. Adult male rats were fed semipurified diets containing 20% fat, no fiber, or 10% psyllium husk or cellulose for 22 weeks. Tumors were induced in one‐half of the rats fed each diet by the gastric intubation of 1,2‐di‐methylhydrazine (DMH) during Weeks 3–11. In terms of the number of animals with tumors in each group, psyllium strongly reduced the tumorigenicity of DMH and cellulose moderately reduced tumorigenicity, whereas the two fibers did not differ significantly from each other with respect to tumorigenicity. Psyllium‐fed rats had the highest fecal aerobic counts, lowest β‐glucuronidase, and highest 7‐α‐dehydroxylase activities. The psyllium diet also resulted in increased fecal output and percent moisture. Rats fed cellulose tended to have greater fecal bulk and lower β‐glucuronidase activity compared with rats fed no fiber and lower 7‐α‐dehydroxylase activity compared with rats fed psyllium husk.

Giraffe

When did Ray say Psyllium is carcinogenic??

It's not clear in the transcript, but I assume that Peat said it:

Starches and indigestible fibers have been tested on various animals, from horses to rats and practically all of the fibers that are used as food additives, carrageenan and guar gum and various other gums, oat bran and even some of the semi-synthetic things, Metamucil, agar and psyllium, all have been identified as carcinogen for the intestines and possibly other organs and getting those out quickly before they support bacterial growth and ferment.

Serotonin, Endotoxins, Stress - KMUD, 2011-06-17

I think if the psyllum helps motility the advantages can outweigh the disadvantages.

I agree. I wish I didn't need it, but I do. I also take a capsule of S. Boulardii with it and that has helped a lot. They seem to work well together.

T

tca300

How come you still take psyllium despite the above study?
That study shows no evidence of psyllium causing problems, it just mentions it. I have a study showing it's resistant to fermentation and Ray doesn't see it as a dangerous supplement.

T

tca300

@raypeatclips sorry I thought you were referring to a common study that talks about psyllium. I don't know why Ray said that about psyllium because he didn't respond negatively when I have talked to be about it recently.... hmmm

raypeatclips

@raypeatclips sorry I thought you were referring to a common study that talks about psyllium. I don't know why Ray said that about psyllium because he didn't respond negatively when I have talked to be about it.. hmmm

My mistake (nearly time to sleep) I thought that above post was an abstract from a study but it was something Ray said. I might ask him to clarify his thoughts on psyllium it looks interesting

T

tca300

My mistake (nearly time to sleep) I thought that above post was an abstract from a study but it was something Ray said. I might ask him to clarify his thoughts on psyllium it looks interesting
Yes please Do!

aarfai

This sure seems like shilling.

Hi ecstatichamster do you still use psyllium fiber? If so is it helping?

aarfai

I stopped. Felt it was not a healthy lifelong habit.
Do you have any suggestions for diarrhea if carrot salads don't seem to work? Ray said this about psyllium husk in the wiki. "If you want to avoid the carotene of carrots, they can be rinsed after shredding; washed and cooked bran or psyllium husk can be effective, too."

That study shows no evidence of psyllium causing problems, it just mentions it. I have a study showing it's resistant to fermentation and Ray doesn't see it as a dangerous supplement.

where does he say it's not dangerous? ive never seen him recommend that, he only says carrot, mushroom, or bamboo shoots