Stopped Using Pillow

Watson350

I recently have neck pain when using a pillow to support my head while sleeping and have stoppped using one. I feel fine without one. I started peating about 2 months ago, anyone have this experience?

Prosper

I would if my jaws were structurally forward enough to avoid apnea when sleeping on back. I think sleeping on back is ideal otherwise, although it seems that even primitive people like to use something for neck support. Sleeping on side without a pillow is not fun.

Neck pains are mostly result of muscular imbalance and postural "deficiency", not your sleep position.

xiaohua

Get a buckwheat-filled pillow, much more solid and more supportive. I can't stand soft, fluffy pillows now. Also look into the Alexander Technique for posture.

Birdie

I find a smaller pillow that can be pushed down where my head goes is good support. Then it's a little thicker in the neck area. Since reading about breathing through the nose, not the mouth, I've been sleeping on my stomach as recommended. I tape my mouth. I sleep better now.

Birdie

Agree, a thick pillow can force your neck into a stressed position.

Prosper

I find a smaller pillow that can be pushed down where my head goes is good support. Then it's a little thicker in the neck area. Since reading about breathing through the nose, not the mouth, I've been sleeping on my stomach as recommended. I tape my mouth. I sleep better now.

I doubt sleeping on stomach is recommended anywhere as anything other than the last resort. From what I understand, it's the most potentially unhealthy position to sleep in.

ilikecats

NoPillow(Patent Pending) increases testosterone a lot so it should really be cycled to minimize increases in estrogen via the aromatase enzyme.

OP
W

Watson350

NoPillow(Patent Pending) increases testosterone a lot so it should really be cycled to minimize increases in estrogen via the aromatase enzyme.
Sleeping without a pillow increases tes? Could you link a journal on that? That sounds amazing

OP
W

Watson350

Since peating, could the lower estrogen, higher progesterone surreptitiously refer me to sleep without a pillow to increase tes or the flow of tes through the body via the spinal column?

shepherdgirl

I would if my jaws were structurally forward enough to avoid apnea when sleeping on back.
Hi Prosper, do you think that apnea and/or snoring can sometimes be related to jaw structure? Because there is at least some speculation that k2 can change the jaw, although i don't know whether it could move it forward. I wonder if snoring and apnea are symptoms of modern-day nutritional deficiency.

Prosper

Hi Prosper, do you think that apnea and/or snoring can sometimes be related to jaw structure? Because there is at least some speculation that k2 can change the jaw, although i don't know whether it could move it forward. I wonder if snoring and apnea are symptoms of modern-day nutritional deficiency.

Not just sometimes, nearly always. K2 can add mass to the jaw, but like you say, it won't move the jaws away from the airway. Sleep apnea is a symptom of what I refer to as "postural deficiency". Over the years you've been carrying your body in anatomically dysfunctional way, and your imbalanced musculature has caused the skull to collapse in itself, or to never even assume the correct alignment in the first place. The skull and the face NEEDS support from the spine and the tongue in order to stay wide and roomy over the course of your life. Old people look old not only because of their wrinkles, but because of their recessed facial structure. This is almost 100% avoidable.

Sleep apnea, structurally recessed & undefined face, gummy smile, crooked teeth, uneven shoulders/hips/face/whatever all tend to have the same root cause. Fixing it requires opening and strengthening the whole body from toes to head along with learning to use your whole spine to push the hard palate against the tongue while standing and walking. By giving the spine and the skull proper support from the musculature, you will over time affect your skull structure and move the individiual bones it's made of closer to anatomically optimal alignment. You will breathe better, you will look better, and you will feel better

This is a HUGE and complex topic, and if you're serious about it, you just have to dive in and start fixing your own body with your own intuition. Or hire someone who really knows their siht. It takes months to years to achieve significant change. And that does not include the time you're going to spend figuring out exactly what you have to do. To get a picture of what kind of adventure lies in front of you, take a look at the top commentor Jake Godfrey's comment chain on this video. The exercises he describes have been immensely helpful in my own journey.

Here are also a couple of pics from another forum. Both are taken roughly one year apart. Bear in mind that the older you are the longer the changes are going to take (before pictures are on the right for some reason, not my fault):

d04G90o.jpg

XjAHho8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

Watson350

Is there a golden ratio at play with jaw width, nature, aesthetics, and standard deviation?

tara

I think sleeping on back is ideal otherwise, ...
Not according to Buteyko method.
Sleeping on the back can make hyperventilation easier - makes it really easy for the chest to expand too fully, as well as increasing the likelyihood of open mouth, both of which I think might contribute to the sleep apnoea.

I doubt sleeping on stomach is recommended anywhere as anything other than the last resort. From what I understand, it's the most potentially unhealthy position to sleep in.
I used to sleep well on my stomach, but my neck objects these days. Wish I still could. :( Any other downsides?

In a discussion about optimal sleep, I should really mention Inclined Bed Therapy in case anyone wants to give it a try.
I did that for a while. Quite liked it, though no obvious major health improvements.

L

lollipop

Not just sometimes, nearly always. K2 can add mass to the jaw, but like you say, it won't move the jaws away from the airway. Sleep apnea is a symptom of what I refer to as "postural deficiency". Over the years you've been carrying your body in anatomically dysfunctional way, and your imbalanced musculature has caused the skull to collapse in itself, or to never even assume the correct alignment in the first place. The skull and the face NEEDS support from the spine and the tongue in order to stay wide and roomy over the course of your life. Old people look old not only because of their wrinkles, but because of their recessed facial structure. This is almost 100% avoidable.

Sleep apnea, structurally recessed & undefined face, gummy smile, crooked teeth, uneven shoulders/hips/face/whatever all tend to have the same root cause. Fixing it requires opening and strengthening the whole body from toes to head along with learning to use your whole spine to push the hard palate against the tongue while standing and walking. By giving the spine and the skull proper support from the musculature, you will over time affect your skull structure and move the individiual bones it's made of closer to anatomically optimal alignment. You will breathe better, you will look better, and you will feel better

This is a HUGE and complex topic, and if you're serious about it, you just have to dive in and start fixing your own body with your own intuition. Or hire someone who really knows their siht. It takes months to years to achieve significant change. And that does not include the time you're going to spend figuring out exactly what you have to do. To get a picture of what kind of adventure lies in front of you, take a look at the top commentor Jake Godfrey's comment chain on this video. The exercises he describes have been immensely helpful in my own journey.

Here are also a couple of pics from another forum. Both are taken roughly one year apart. Bear in mind that the older you are the longer the changes are going to take (before pictures are on the right for some reason, not my fault):

d04G90o.jpg

XjAHho8.jpg

@Prosper These are stunning before and after photos.

schultz

Get a buckwheat-filled pillow, much more solid and more supportive. I can't stand soft, fluffy pillows now. Also look into the Alexander Technique for posture.

This sounds nice! I also hate soft fluffy pillows yet I still use one for some reason... I always thought a bag of rice would feel nice. Never knew there was such a thing as a buckwheat pillow. I'll go look it up!

xiaohua

This sounds nice! I also hate soft fluffy pillows yet I still use one for some reason... I always thought a bag of rice would feel nice. Never knew there was such a thing as a buckwheat pillow. I'll go look it up!
I really, highly recommend them! They offer much more neck support and can be reshaped to your liking. I think I read that they are the norm in Japan.

tara

Never knew there was such a thing as a buckwheat pillow.
I got a buckwheat husk pillow. Really good for being able to adjust to the shape you want.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals