Stimulation Of Melatonin Receptors Decreases Calcium Levels In Xenopus Tectal Cells By Activating GA

I was thinking today about how vit. D reduces melatonin, and increases calcium. I started wondering if melatonin is a calcium antagonist. I found this:
Stimulation of melatonin receptors decreases calcium levels in xenopus tectal cells by activating GABA(C) receptors.

To investigate the physiological effects of melatonin receptors in the Xenopus tectum, we have used the fluorescent indicator Fluo-4 AM to monitor calcium dynamics of cells in tectal slices. Bath application of KCl elicited fluorescence increases that were reduced by melatonin. This effect was stronger at the end of the light period than at the end of the dark period. Melatonin increased gamma-aminobutyric acid-C (GABA(C))-receptor activity, as demonstrated by the ability of the GABA(C)-receptor antagonists, picrotoxin and TPMPA, to abolish the effects of melatonin. In contrast, neither the GABA(A)-receptor antagonist bicuculline nor the GABA(B)-receptor antagonist CGP 35348 diminished the effects of melatonin. RT-PCR analyses revealed expression of the 3 known melatonin receptors, MT1 (Mel1(a)), MT2 (Mel1(b)), and Mel1(c). Because the effect of melatonin on tectal calcium increases was antagonized by an MT2-selective antagonist, 4-P-PDOT, we performed Western blot analyses with an antibody to the MT2 receptor; the data indicate that the MT2 receptor is expressed primarily as a dimeric complex and is glycosylated. The receptor is present in higher amounts at the end of the light period than at the end of the dark period, in a pattern complementary to the changes in melatonin levels, which are higher during the night than during the day. These results imply that melatonin, acting by MT2 receptors, modulates GABA(C) receptor activity in the optic tectum and that this effect is influenced by the light-dark cycle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals