Still Hungry After Eating Maintenance Calories

IVILA

I recently have started eating more carbs and increasing the amount everyday since I used to do low carb. Althoguh I eat maintenance calories as I monitor it, I'm still hungry after pretty much every meal. I want to eat more but I'm scared that I might get fat due to overeating. What is happening to me and what to do?

redsun

I recently have started eating more carbs and increasing the amount everyday since I used to do low carb. Althoguh I eat maintenance calories as I monitor it, I'm still hungry after pretty much every meal. I want to eat more but I'm scared that I might get fat due to overeating. What is happening to me and what to do?

Maitenance calories are too low or carbs or protein are too low keeping you hungry.

IVILA

Maitenance calories are too low or carbs or protein are too low keeping you hungry.
Currently I'm doing about 220g carbs, 150g protein and 145g fat. Everyday I increase carbs by about 5g since I've been told to increase my carbs slowly as I'm coming out of the keto diet. I've also been told by some people that my symptoms are that my metabolic rate is increasing. Is this true?

redsun

Currently I'm doing about 220g carbs, 150g protein and 145g fat. Everyday I increase carbs by about 5g since I've been told to increase my carbs slowly as I'm coming out of the keto diet. I've also been told by some people that my symptoms are that my metabolic rate is increasing. Is this true?

Protein is good but carbs are not enough to prevent hypoglycemia caused by protein. 2:1 carbs to protein is minimum. You are in an in-between state atm because carbs needs are not being fully met. Once you become a carb burner again your body will constantly want enough carbs otherwise you will get hungry.

Your fear of getting fat won't happen as long as calories are not over the limit. Problem is you are still eating a high fat diet and the carb needs are not being met as you are transitioning to more carb burning. 300-400g (each meal will end up having about 100g+ of carbs) carbs will probably be what you need daily to feel good, but that means fat calories have to go down to compensate. You will feel much better once you steadily provide enough carbs that will last between meals.

IVILA

Protein is good but carbs are not enough to prevent hypoglycemia caused by protein. 2:1 carbs to protein is minimum. You are in an in-between state atm because carbs needs are not being fully met. Once you become a carb burner again your body will constantly want enough carbs otherwise you will get hungry.

Your fear of getting fat won't happen as long as calories are not over the limit. Problem is you are still eating a high fat diet and the carb needs are not being met as you are transitioning to more carb burning. 300-400g (each meal will end up having about 100g+ of carbs) carbs will probably be what you need daily to feel good, but that means fat calories have to go down to compensate. You will feel much better once you steadily provide enough carbs that will last between meals.
So should I continue to increase carbs by 5g everyday or just jump it up to 300g at once? Because at the moment I don't feel right as I have low libido, energy, and brain fog.

rei

Add tallow to the food, it is the single most satiating ingredient i have ever found.

IVILA

As I tested for my thyroid and testosterone levels a few days ago, it's dropped quite a bit since before I started keto. So I need a supplement and diet adjustment to bring them back up.

Hirri

What is your weight and body fat? I had this issue for quite some time when I was coming off years of calorie restriction and severe running plan. My BMI was 18 and body fat around 15% at the time. Even when my weight was back to normal, it seemed like my body still remembered what it went through and wanted to eat more. But eventually it stopped, maybe after 6 months.

IVILA

What is your weight and body fat? I had this issue for quite some time when I was coming off years of calorie restriction and severe running plan. My BMI was 18 and body fat around 15% at the time. Even when my weight was back to normal, it seemed like my body still remembered what it went through and wanted to eat more. But eventually it stopped, maybe after 6 months.
So I used to be around 16% body fat at 187 pounds. Now i'm 2-3 pounds below my ideal body weight which is 154 lbs. Currently I weight 151 lbs at 9% body fat.

Hirri

So I used to be around 16% body fat at 187 pounds. Now i'm 2-3 pounds below my ideal body weight which is 154 lbs. Currently I weight 151 lbs at 9% body fat.
I guess for male body that is not extreme, however, do you know what could be your natural weight? Why did you start doing KETO? In my experience, wanting a body with lower weight than my natural one caused me problems with appetite.

IVILA

I guess for male body that is not extreme, however, do you know what could be your natural weight? Why did you start doing KETO? In my experience, wanting a body with lower weight than my natural one caused me problems with appetite.
my natural weight is probably 155 ish. I was stupid starting keto and fasting, although I did lose a ton of weight and probably healed my liver. I feel like eating more carbs is what needs to be done as I feel better everyday by increasing my carbs bit by bit. I don't gain any weight either which is good. I just don't know whether bumping up my carbs quite a bit at once would help me or gradually increasing would.

Last edited:
I can relate! I have discovered how I start my day with my food choices determines my cravings the rest of the day. Inevitably whenever I eat a starch carb like sourdough toast or cereal I am hungry again an hour later, no matter how I balance it, and only more carbs will do. It is a vicious cycle. When I start my day with a protein and pair it with sugar, like raw honey or a Mexican Coke I have more energy and less cravings. It's not to say you shouldn't have starchy carbs, just end the day with them instead 🌞

jet9

+1 to starting day with protein + sugars (fruits / honey), and eating starches (i like tubers) only for dinner.
This way i have energy all day without crashes.
(i am also former paleo guy - used to be under 50g carbs)