still can't sleep well

Franz

I don't have much trouble falling a sleep, it takes some time to wind down but thats fine. But after two sleep cycles, usually after 5 hours or so, it gets very difficult to sleep. Usually I won't sleep anymore after that.
I don't feel like it's due to stress hormones or a low metabolism. I even take a some of my coconut, sugar, salt mixture before I go to bed and when I wake up in the night. Also tried bag breathing.
I just seem lack the drowsiness to fall a sleep though I still feel like I haven't slept enough and notice some problems during the day.
Anyone got an idea whats going on and what I could do?

I feel like the ray peat stuff is definitely helping me. But a consistent good nights rest is what I really need and I'm pretty sure that if I could get proper sleep I would finally feel good enough to live a normal life :/

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It took me a few months, maybe 3 or 4, before I started seeing sleep improvements. And I am continually seeing improvement in that area.

OP
F

Franz

a few months D:
I do think my sinusitis makes things more difficult, but yeah not much I can do about that (tried just about anything). Just gotta hope that it'll go away as my health slowly improves on a good diet.
Delta wave binaural beats do put me to sleep after a while, but not that deep and my ears hurt when I wake because I lie on my side with earphones in :P

Geminitiger

I take 400 mg of magnesium citrate and sometimes ashwaghanda liquid.sleep like a baby apart from waking for a pee in the night,perhaps my age (62).since eating Peat style I'm sleeping earlier and waking earlier.

kiran

Try taking some niacinamide, it might have effects similar to a benzodiazepine. It definitely helps me sleep, and I oversleep if I take too much...

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v2 ... 563a0.html

Nicotinamide is a brain constituent with benzodiazepine-like actions

H. MÖHLER, P. POLC, R. CUMIN, L. PIERI & R. KETTLER

Pharmaceutical Research Department, F. Hoffmann-La Roche & Co. Ltd, 4002 Basle, Switzerland

BENZODIAZEPINES are a group of drugs with wide therapeutic application as anxiolytics, hypnotics, anticonvulsants and muscle relaxants. To exert their therapeutic and pharmacological effects, they apparently interact with a brain-specific benzodiazepine receptor characterised by a high-affinity binding site for this group of compounds1,2. In analogy to the identification of morphine receptors in the brain and the subsequent isolation of opioid peptides, the discovery of the benzodiazepine receptor prompted the search for an endogenous brain constituent, which physiologically may display benzodiazepine-like actions3. We describe here the isolation and benzodiazepine-like actions of nicotinamide, a compound which might exert these actions in the brain physiologically.

Geminitiger

Kiran thanks for that link,I found that it is also good for psoriasis(had for 37 years) so shall try a gram a day for now.
Cheers

gretchen

I don't want to start another thread on this, but it is a real concern...... I've been waking up to pee for several years and have not had much improvement. Of course, I also restricted some the last month or 2. I can go back to sleep after I get up, but I think it's the reason I sleep so much. Also, it takes what seems like forever to get to sleep.

jyb

I also suffer from insomnia and I think it's a consequence of my hypothyroidism which I'm trying to fix (having a low temp during the day or near bedtime probably activates stress and not the right system for falling asleep).

A few things to try:
- Getting at least 80g protein. RP mentions insomnia can result from just not getting enough protein.
- Getting a large % of those protein as gelatin, esp. near bedtime. RP talks about glycine and insomnia.
- Magnesium can calm you down. Use those magnesium chlorine sprays over your body, wait 30 mins then take a hot shower, then go to bed. In my experience its not enough to overcome serious insomnia - you'd need to fix the underlying problem first.
- Earthing mat (not sure if it works yet - check out this forum's thread on this)

gretchen

I have the waking up to pee in the middle of the night thing. I am wondering if it is irreversible. :cry: It started a few years ago during a bad nutrition cycle. It's hard to tell if that is what caused it or if it age related.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
On my nights of high adrenaline I notice I pee a lot, 3 or 4 times a night. On nights of no adrenaline I can sleep 8 hours straight and no pee.

jyb

To my previous list of suggestions, add pregnelonone (as reminder, always needs to be taken with loads of sugar). The last few nights of mine have been amazing, I can fall back asleep very easily if I wake up, and during the day I feel relaxed and resilient even if I'm in need of food/sugar.

jyb

gretchen said:
I have the waking up to pee in the middle of the night thing. I am wondering if it is irreversible. :cry: It started a few years ago during a bad nutrition cycle. It's hard to tell if that is what caused it or if it age related.

RP himself mentions that he reversed the late night wake up thing with glycine, at least temporarily when he started experimenting with gelatin. That said, I don't mind waking up in the middle of the night if my sleep is deep in between. For example when I was on sleeping drugs, they put me off to sleep for 8-9 hours non-stop, yet I woke up very unrested and tired.

J

j.

gretchen said:

used to happen to me. it stopped with probably 6 months of peating. i think i'm a fairly strict Peater. no PUFAs, two quarts or more of milk per day, and eat salt, sugar, coffee, and chocolate (with milk) throughout the day. for some reason i think using coconut oil instead of PUFAs over a long time is beneficial for this problem, as is having at least a bit of salt during the day and at night.

jyb

I was reading more on niacinamide to get an idea of the dosage when effects on mood or sleep are desired. I found this

Niacinamide may be converted by the body back to tryptophan and this is the raw material for the pathway that includes 5-HTP, serotonin and melatonin. This pathway will have profound effects on mood and sleep.
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/niacinamide

So, does large doses of niacinamide enhances sleep by just increasing serotonin? That wouldn't be a good thing if we read RP. That's how some SSRIs like Remeron are sold off-label as sleeping pill, in my experience those were really effective at putting me asleep like dead (but stopped when read about RP and serotoning etc).

burtlancast

This solution might seem excessive, but when nothing works, Rick Simpson cannabis oil seems to be able to knock out an elephant for 8 straight hours or more.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh but in the end it makes you not sleep better. Especially when you try to quit it. Also once you get addicted to it waking up at 4am in the morning for that next dose can interfere with your sleep to.

burtlancast

This is for desperate cases, when nothing works.
Rick couldn't sleep for two years because the noise in his head following head trauma.
His oil allowed him to sleep like a baby for 10 hours ( in his recent book).

jyb

burtlancast said:
Rick couldn't sleep for two years because the noise in his head following head trauma.

Did he try Progest-E? Head trauma seems like a standard reason to use it, from the anecdotes recalled on this forum...

burtlancast

jyb said:
burtlancast said:

Did he try Progest-E? Head trauma seems like a standard reason to use it, from the anecdotes recalled on this forum...

I very much doubt it.

He had a concussion while at work; a gaz made him lose conscience, and while falling to the ground, he hit his head. After 2 hours he came out of it, but progressively developed intracranial hypertension secondary to head trauma. 40% of people with brain injury develop it.

He tried every pill prescribed by the doctors with no relief. Eventually they gave up on him, and that's how he discovered his cannabis oil.
The oil relieves his intracranial hypertension, but if he stops it, it comebacks with a vengeance.

Are you saying Ray can help him ? Have people here been relieved from this condition ?

jyb

burtlancast said:
Are you saying Ray can help him ? Have people here been relieved from this condition ?

Some forum users know more about this than me, but yes I recall anecdotes with injuries and an intense use of progest-E.