Sticky Sebum On Scalp

M

marikay

Has anyone here ever experienced this? The sebum from my scalp has turned thick and sticky, so much so that not even shampoo with sodium laurel sulfate gets rid of it. It has happened once before a few years back and then went away. I was never sure what caused it or why it subsided. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.

tara

Don't know what it is, but if it's greasy a baking soda solution might help shift it - I think it saponifies oils and fats. If you do that, I'd follow it with a dilute vinegar rinse to restore slightly acid pH.

OP
M

marikay

Thanks tara. I'm not sure what the cause is, but it seems to be getting a little bit better on its own. Weird huh?:confused:

tara

DrJ

I don't know about sticky, but I used to get a lot of oil/sebum production on my scalp, and the more I shampoo'd, the worse it got. When I woke up in the morning it would be just awful and gross to where there was no way I could go out without washing it clean again. I changed course about 3 years ago and started making my own shampoo from baking soda. I do 1oz baking soda to 3oz water. And since (about 1.5yr ago) reading stuff from Danny Roddy and on this forum, I also add 1g caffeine powder, 1g niacinamide powder, and 1g aspirin powder in the hope it will stimulate hair/prevent baldness. Early 30s male and still no thinning. It's probably a complex problem and my diet has become Peat-ified, so who knows how much it helps, but my dad was totally bald by 22 so I feel like I'm beating the odds. Also, my hair does not suck in the morning and I can just run my fingers through it to unflatten the pillow effect and go out instead of it being matted to my head. No more dandruff and that weird paradox where I would wake up with mad oily hair but my scalp would be dry and flaky during the day. I suspect that my 25,000IU/day Vit. A supplement and more gelatin is also helping here but can't prove. I may not be a shampoo model, but damn if my hair doesn't look the best it ever has :)

OP
M

marikay

Thanks so much @DrJ. I think I will try this shampoo solution. How often do you shampoo? Do you wet your hair with just water in between shampoos? And thanks for the reminder about vitamin a. That probably has something to do with it.

DrJ

Daily. The baking soda shampoo mix is so mild that it doesn't dry out my scalp, and the caffeine gives a nice stimulation for the morning shower :)

OP
M

marikay

Daily. The baking soda shampoo mix is so mild that it doesn't dry out my scalp, and the caffeine gives a nice stimulation for the morning shower :)

Thanks. Can you mix it up beforehand to keep on the shelf? Or do you mix it fresh everyday?

DrJ

Thanks. Can you mix it up beforehand to keep on the shelf? Or do you mix it fresh everyday?

Ah yeah, forgot. That recipe I gave you lasts me about 2 weeks. I mix it all up at once in a ~4oz plastic bottle. It will of course settle, so shake it up again right before you apply.

OP
M

marikay

Ah yeah, forgot. That recipe I gave you lasts me about 2 weeks. I mix it all up at once in a ~4oz plastic bottle. It will of course settle, so shake it up again right before you apply.

got it. thanks again:)

Ulla

Anyone here has an opinion on putting niacinamide in hair-shampoo?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals