Sterilizing The Gut Without Antibiotics

dookie

Having used antibiotics occasionally over the last few years, I've found them to be very helpful for increasing tolerance to food, tolerance to stress, sleep quality, and a few other things.

However I always run into side effects like bowel issues and fatigue (among other things). The side-effects develop after just a few days on the antibiotics.

What other things "sterilize the gut" or have "antibiotic like" properties?

Any personal experience with other things, herbal or supplements, that "feel like antibiotics"?

XPlus

Some of the most effective things I've used pre-peat were peppermint oil, tea tree oil, oregano oil, wormwood and garlic.
I wouldn't go back using any of those since I find charcoal, cascara and more recently carrots pretty effective.

DaveFoster

@XPlus Did activated charcoal help your gut issues? I think I have SIBO, but I already do a large daily carrot salad and haidut's Lapodin, which contains emodin, the active ingredient in cascara.

XPlus

@XPlus Did activated charcoal help your gut issues? I think I have SIBO, but I already do a large daily carrot salad and haidut's Lapodin, which contains emodin, the active ingredient in cascara.
Absolutely. I think it works more as sweeper than germicide but overall I find it more effective than carrots and cascara.
Charcoal can be a little harsh when gut lining is compromised. I usually combine the 3 together to get things smooth - not so hard not so runny at the oval office. It was mentioned around here before that you can get over the harshness with a larger grind (or maybe granular) charcoal but I haven't tried this.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Absolutely. I think it works more as sweeper than germicide but overall I find it more effective than carrots and cascara.
Charcoal can be a little harsh when gut lining is compromised. I usually combine the 3 together to get things smooth - not so hard not so runny at the oval office. It was mentioned around here before that you can get over the harshness with a larger grind (or maybe granular) charcoal but I haven't tried this.

What is the best way to take cascara? I have tried charcoal in the past and it just made my stool very runny and black. I want to try and do the cascara for a big clear out

XPlus

What is the best way to take cascara? I have tried charcoal in the past and it just made my stool very runny and black. I want to try and do the cascara for a big clear out
I have it followed with something that I can quickly shove down my throat.
I wouldn't recommend mixing it with food or drink.

XPlus

Jayfish

is a website called gutcritters.Com and the guy who runs it seems insanely knowledgeable about all things gut related. He swears by a garlic protocol he lays out on the website.

I have never tried it but it might be worth a shot.

redred

is a website called gutcritters.Com and the guy who runs it seems insanely knowledgeable about all things gut related. He swears by a garlic protocol he lays out on the website.

I have never tried it but it might be worth a shot.

Garlic onion and oregano oil is probable smart to combine

XPlus

How much do you take and is it best to take the cascara before you go to bed?
I think 500mg is a good dose to start with.
I'm not sure if timing would make any difference.

Having used antibiotics occasionally over the last few years, I've found them to be very helpful for increasing tolerance to food, tolerance to stress, sleep quality, and a few other things.

However I always run into side effects like bowel issues and fatigue (among other things). The side-effects develop after just a few days on the antibiotics.

What other things "sterilize the gut" or have "antibiotic like" properties?

Any personal experience with other things, herbal or supplements, that "feel like antibiotics"?

why does antibiotics cause bowel issues?

Trambak

You take cascara as drops? Like 10-20 drops in the morning? Or better as some powder, or take it as tea? And do you take the charcole once or twice a day?

XPlus

I use Cascara powder. In between meals. Usually around the same time I eat my carrot salad.
As for charcoal, I usually do it every other day for few days, until the digestive distress is gone.
I think Peat mentioned a study where they used Cascara for animals and said that the the human equivalent was about 10 days/month.
Can't remember the exact dosage but I usually do 1/2 to 1 cups.
It's a good idea to limit the dose to one or two teaspoons, the first time, and see how it goes.

Atalanta

I use Cascara powder. In between meals. Usually around the same time I eat my carrot salad.

As for charcoal, I usually do it every other day for few days, until the digestive distress is gone.

I think Peat mentioned a study where they used Cascara for animals and said that the the human equivalent was about 10 days/month.
Can't remember the exact dosage but I usually do 1/2 to 1 cups.
It's a good idea to limit the dose to one or two teaspoons, the first time, and see how it goes.

How much charcoal do you take?

Brian

Overall I think the most foundational way to sterilize the gut is eating enough fat and having enough liver bile production and flow. One byproduct of fat digestion is a type of soap. This intestinal soap plays a major role in keeping any unabsorbed food and the small intestine sterile, while helping to remove endotoxin through its detergent action.

This may be why a low-fat diet can sometimes cause SIBO especially when a meal's carbs are being poorly broken down and absorbed. Less dietary fat and bile acid seems to be needed to keep the GI tract sterile, the faster bowel transit and more complete digestion is. Perhaps that's why a very high fiber, low fat diet can also fix SIBO for some people.

So supplementing glycine and taurine after a meal, which both greatly increase bile production and flow, and including enough fat could be all that some people need to get their small intestine sterile again.

Last edited:

XPlus

lindsay

I aim for a cup but usually can only stomach 3/4 cup

That's a heck of a lot of charcoal! I usually take two capsules only - enough to stop gas without causing constipation.

@dookie - I am the queen of bowel issues. I don't have a gallbladder or an appendix (not that the latter matters much unless it's infected) and finding a balance to keep my gut "regular" has been very difficult - especially without the gallbladder.

It's funny that you mention fatigue - I have only taken antibiotics twice in the past decade (if I am counting correctly) and the last time was after appendicitis. I felt frickin' fantastic, although they did give me diarrhea in the mornings, but I think when you have an infection, that's part of the processing of clearing things out.

Anyhoo, I have found oregano oil incredibly useful for sinus infections, and charcoal helpful in small doses for very mild digestive upset - like gas. Charcoal paired with cascara works well - even better with a carrot.

However, it you want a quicker fix to keep "regular" and clear things out quickly, I have found Ox Bile useful. I take it before my late afternoon/evening meal, which is usually when I eat some fat in eggs or beef or something. I don't have a gallbladder, so the amount I need might be more than others, but it definitely helps.

Cranberry extract is great for issues related to the bladder.

And, I will probably get flack for saying this, but I definitely find Nascent Iodine helpful. I was taking it during the winter months before Ray Peat sent me a ton of studies saying how bad iodine is for the thyroid long term, but I didn't get sick at all when I took it and I felt more energetic. However, I was taking small amounts of thyroid with the iodine - so it's possible the two work well together. If I am feeling like I have a slight infection that I cannot kick, the iodine seems to help, IMO. And, I think it's fairly safe so long as one gets adequate Selenium in the diet. But you might want to research Iodine more. It's not for use all the time, but can be useful in certain circumstances.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals