Stay Away From Raw Fish!

Why would I get close to raw fish :ss

Travis

This only supposed to happen with certain types of fish. If someone still wants to eat raw fish, these podcasts can be very informative. Dickson Despommier has been studying parasites since he was 18 and he knows more than basically anyone; he shares this information in a sometimes entertaining way with his virologists friend Vincent Racaniello (I can't say much about his friend) in these podcasts.

RobertJM

What about raw oysters

I came stand them personally. But never heard Ray talk about parasites in relation to oysters. Yet I have heard him talk about them with other types of seafood.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Maybe he was eating low grade sushi meat, the kind that hadn't been inspected by certified japanese handlers.

That's what I'm thinking. Most people know you have to be very careful with raw fish and consume high quality by people trained in handling it. Obviously many people enjoy sashimi and this doesn't happen to them. They guy said he eats it everyday too so maybe it was just from a bad source.

Kunder

Maybe he was eating low grade sushi meat, the kind that hadn't been inspected by certified japanese handlers.

1. The lowest grade sushi meat usually comes deep frozen, which often kills all parasites.
2. "Certified Japanese handler" sounds like a marketing catalogue term. Visual inspection may catch some but certainly not most parasites. I mean come on.

omnivoracious

2. "Certified Japanese handler" sounds like a marketing catalogue term. Visual inspection may catch some but certainly not most parasites. I mean come on.
I read recently that blow fish were recalled in Japan because the liver or some other organ that is highly toxic wasn't removed. So yeah, certified Japanese handler seems like a pretty sketchy concept.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I read recently that blow fish were recalled in Japan because the liver or some other organ that is highly toxic wasn't removed. So yeah, certified Japanese handler seems like a pretty sketchy concept.

This doesn't make sense.

Someone forgot to remove a toxic part of a fish, so the whole profession is sketchy? Wouldn't that just prove that you actually do need someone who knows what they're doing?

Last edited:

G Forrest

What about raw oysters

I came stand them personally. But never heard Ray talk about parasites in relation to oysters. Yet I have heard him talk about them with other types of seafood.

I believe Ray has said he only eats cooked oysters after knowing something who contacted Hepatitis B from raw ones. Though I have not heard him comment on parasites and raw seafood specifically.

sladerunner69

1. The lowest grade sushi meat usually comes deep frozen, which often kills all parasites.

Yeah lol, I was hoping someone would catch the sarcasm in my comment.

sladerunner69

That's what I'm thinking. Most people know you have to be very careful with raw fish and consume high quality by people trained in handling it. Obviously many people enjoy sashimi and this doesn't happen to them. They guy said he eats it everyday too so maybe it was just from a bad source.
Just because meat passes a visual doesn't mean its free of contamination...

Mellow

Japanese don't eat river fish raw, only sea fish. Also it's supposed to be eaten with wasabi or ginger, the purpose of which is to take care of any bacteria. Trouble is you never actually get proper wasabi, just horseradish paste.
Safest approach is to eat from frozen as pointed out earlier.

Kunder

Tapeworms or other parasites are not ‘bacteria’. Also, ive never seen anyone eat river fish sushi. Maybe homeless people. Even the salmon most people eat has never seen a river in its life.

Travis

The farmed salmon can get parasites if fed a certain way. Parasites from sushi is not unheard of. I'd just stay away from salmon if someone is worried about it—not a very good raw fish anyway.

tara

I eat raw fish sushi as an occasional treat. I'm assuming the commercial sushi shops have their raw fish thoroughly frozen first - hope I'm right.

yerrag

I once had a tapeworm. That was in grade 3. On morning recess, I felt something went and I thought it was loose bowels. But why wasn't I feeling it ooze out? So I reached inside my pants, and pulled out a 2 foot tapeworm. I was on the hallway outside the classrooms. I threw it away and ran. Glad no one saw it. I would have become a butt of jokes. Gladly, that was the end of it.

I came across a story later about a guy who had a terrible time with allergies and his sister showed him an article about worms being helpful in reducing allergies. He went to Bangladesh and went to a filthy area and walked in ankle deep water, hoping to get some worms. He came back to the US and months later, he noticed he didn't have those allergies anymore. He soon was selling bits of his feces on Ebay, for anyone looking to get worms. I just wasn't sure it was tapeworms.

Maybe we should eat more sushi then? Instead of getting someone else's feces?

Just the same, I occasionally eat raw fish, as in ceviche, and well as sushi and sashimi. Just not that often enough. But I wouldn't avoid it.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

This was the grossest thing I've ever heard...
I once had a tapeworm. That was in grade 3. On morning recess, I felt something went and I thought it was loose bowels. But why wasn't I feeling it ooze out? So I reached inside my pants, and pulled out a 2 foot tapeworm. I was on the hallway outside the classrooms. I threw it away and ran. Glad no one saw it. I would have become a butt of jokes. Gladly, that was the end of it.

Until I read this...
I came across a story later about a guy who had a terrible time with allergies and his sister showed him an article about worms being helpful in reducing allergies. He went to Bangladesh and went to a filthy area and walked in ankle deep water, hoping to get some worms. He came back to the US and months later, he noticed he didn't have those allergies anymore. He soon was selling bits of his feces on Ebay, for anyone looking to get worms. I just wasn't sure it was tapeworms.

Maybe we should eat more sushi then? Instead of getting someone else's feces?

Off to have nightmares now.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals