Starting University Again

Wolf

I will be attending school once more with a heavy science/mathematics courseload. I was wondering what suggestions you guys and gals collectively had for "nootropic" modalities within a peat framework.
Piracetam comes to mind as does simply ingesting large amounts of easily digestible calories(milk+lactase+enzymes) and b1/b2/b3.
If there's any other ways to increase how fast my brain burns sugar and isn't prohibitively insane I would love to hear your thoughts
I did well in school vomiting blood and blacking out, I would like to be even better this time around.

L

lollipop

Eat homemade nutrient dense food - balanced fresh food, bone broths.

Daily gentle exercise, daily meditation.

Maintain good digestive health.

Do something everyday that makes you smile, that you have fun/enjoy doing.

Your body and mind will remain strong.

Thoushant

I will be attending school once more with a heavy science/mathematics courseload. I was wondering what suggestions you guys and gals collectively had for "nootropic" modalities within a peat framework.

Hey I used to get good grades in math related courses, without really stressing. That changed in my recent course. Biggest thing I learned is in the past I got free overview and structure of reading material from really good teachers. Recently though with Hubris that just showing up to class is enough. Some teacher can't provide the structure during class, they may be new to it, so you may have to make it yourself

Don't fall behind, make sure you are up to date on homework and theories, the rest will come. You should read the material at level that lets you ask competent questions in lectures, or so the teacher can look you in the eye while explaining, and you not pretending to understand, but actually do understand. Make him be the examination subject..
Do something like Anki: try to make a plan, so you see through your notes 3 times total, night after lecture, before assignments, before the next lecture, are there notes you can take to really condense the learned material into shortcuts, you can adjust accordingly, stuff like that. always maintain an overview of course material, and where you are at.
Do the assignments no matter how easy/boring/complex they seem, it's there to solidify the knowledge.

No supplement helped long term, You just gotta do it. Good luck

Travis

I just read quite a bit on how the cell's membrane lipids determine its' glucose flux. I had made a post here, yet I do also have other articles bookmarked if you're interested. The post explains which fatty acids can be consumed and which should be avoided to achieve high glucose flux, a cell membrane property most important for the brain.

OP
W

Wolf

I just read quite a bit on how the cell's membrane lipids determine its' glucose flux. I had made a post here, yet I do also have other articles bookmarked if you're interested. The post explains which fatty acids can be consumed and which should be avoided to achieve high glucose flux, a cell membrane property most important for the brain.
I understand the basis for the flux or entry into cells. Would the rate limiting factor then be the metabolism of that glucose entering the cells?

OP
W

Wolf

Hey I used to get good grades in math related courses, without really stressing. That changed in my recent course. Biggest thing I learned is in the past I got free overview and structure of reading material from really good teachers. Recently though with Hubris that just showing up to class is enough. Some teacher can't provide the structure during class, they may be new to it, so you may have to make it yourself

Don't fall behind, make sure you are up to date on homework and theories, the rest will come. You should read the material at level that lets you ask competent questions in lectures, or so the teacher can look you in the eye while explaining, and you not pretending to understand, but actually do understand. Make him be the examination subject..
Do something like Anki: try to make a plan, so you see through your notes 3 times total, night after lecture, before assignments, before the next lecture, are there notes you can take to really condense the learned material into shortcuts, you can adjust accordingly, stuff like that. always maintain an overview of course material, and where you are at.
Do the assignments no matter how easy/boring/complex they seem, it's there to solidify the knowledge.

No supplement helped long term, You just gotta do it. Good luck
What did your schedule look like and what courses were you taking? I need to have a strong working knowledge of my coursework from now on since the coursework specific to Chemical engineering is around the corner.
My problem is not having a habitual studying habit.

OP
W

Wolf

Eat homemade nutrient dense food - balanced fresh food, bone broths.

Daily gentle exercise, daily meditation.

Maintain good digestive health.

Do something everyday that makes you smile, that you have fun/enjoy doing.

Your body and mind will remain strong.
Ideas on fun or things I enjoy doing? Ever since I got sick nothing really stands out as fun. It's moreso things that occupy my time like videogames and that's just to eat time up instead of lying around. I do exercise(habitual/non straining) and I meditate once a week(need stronger habit/time block).
I was in enough pain for so long that dissociating was preferable to having to deal with reality. So games are a form of dissociation for me.

Travis

I understand the basis for the flux or entry into cells. Would the rate limiting factor then be the metabolism of that glucose entering the cells?

It actually appears as though the cell membrane sets a limit on glucose flux which depends primarily on the character of the lipids that compose it.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wolf

It actually appears as though the cell membrane sets a limit on glucose flux that depends primarily on the character of the lipids which compose it.
So changing the structure of the lipids which hold the cell together would enhance glucose flux? Sfa preferred?
If that's true then at a certain max point for glucose flux increasing the metabolic rate would be meaningless since you would be burning up glucose faster than it could reach the cells?

Travis

So changing the structure of the lipids which hold the cell together would enhance glucose flux?
It does, and this has been proven, yet triglycerides don't usually polymerize and thus cannot hold together a cell.
If that's true then at a certain max point for glucose flux increasing the metabolic rate would be meaningless since you would be burning up glucose faster than it could reach the cells?
That depends on oxygen, hemoglobin, and the heart rate that distributes it. Thyroid hormone also provides a throttling mechanism by transcribing uncoupling proteins. However: there are states in which a high extracellular glucose concentration coexist with a low metabolic rate, and this apparently can be determined by both insulin and membrane lipid composition.

OP
W

Wolf

It does, and this has been proven, yet triglycerides don't usually polymerize and thus cannot hold together a cell.
That depends on oxygen, hemoglobin, and the heart rate that distributes it. Thyroid hormone also provides a throttling mechanism by transcribing uncoupling proteins. However, there are states in which a high extracellular glucose concentration coexist with a low metabolic rate.
At what point do you believe a metabolism would bottleneck? When the temperature of the organism gets too high? The heart fails to contract to push the blood at a fast enough rate/pressure(HR)?
The vashinvetala article I read on bats had me stand on my head and by some God awful coincidence I started losing weight independent of caloric intake or activity. The heart pumping harder and the body generating more heat.

Travis

At what point do you believe a metabolism would bottleneck? When the temperature of the organism gets too high? The heart fails to contract to push the blood at a fast enough rate/pressure(HR)?
The vashinvetala article I read on bats had me stand on my head and by some God awful coincidence I started losing weight independent of caloric intake or activity. The heart pumping harder and the body generating more heat.
Of course there will be a limiting factor in every instance, yet my point is that the membrane fatty acids are limiting in some.

YourUniverse

Estrogen impairs learning, so vitamin E and aspirin (with vitamin K) will be very important I think.

Coffee and sugar, protein: keeping the metabolism high will be important, too.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Ideas on fun or things I enjoy doing? Ever since I got sick nothing really stands out as fun. It's moreso things that occupy my time like videogames and that's just to eat time up instead of lying around. I do exercise(habitual/non straining) and I meditate once a week(need stronger habit/time block).
I was in enough pain for so long that dissociating was preferable to having to deal with reality. So games are a form of dissociation for me.
*Take a walk around campus and smile at people - you will be amazed at how people respond - use it as an experiment.

*See an uplifting movie like “About Time” instead of video games.

*Read an inspiring book - nothing to do with learning.

*meet a friend for a coffee at a fun coffee shop.

*take a walk in nature.

*take a dance class

*play chess with someone at a local coffee shop while eating a bit of chocolate and drinking coffee.

*join a meetup in an area that interests you.

*take a nap!

*spring clean your living space - feels awesome to clean out old junk.

*ride scooters.

*go fishing.

*make your own yummy bone broth.

*go swimming.

*play board games with friends.

*go see an interesting lecture on campus - always something fascinating.

*etc., etc., etc.

x-ray peat

What did your schedule look like and what courses were you taking? I need to have a strong working knowledge of my coursework from now on since the coursework specific to Chemical engineering is around the corner.
My problem is not having a habitual studying habit.
Chem E here. I think you got a lot of good advice so far. From my experience math and chemistry can be hard but at least it is fairly intelligible, not so much with some of the Chem E classes. The books can be very dry and confusing and it was not uncommon to have to spend an hour to just understand one page of text.

My advice would be to try and stay ahead of the teacher and read the material before it's covered so you can avoid being clueless as to what is going on in class. Many of the teachers/TAs will be foreign and not very good communicators so it can be challenging but try to take advantage of office hours. Today there are a lot of good youtube videos explaining Chem E concepts so that may be another good source to use. Best of luck.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Piracetam comes to mind as does simply ingesting large amounts of easily digestible calories(milk+lactase+enzymes) and b1/b2/b3.
If there's any other ways to increase how fast my brain burns sugar and isn't prohibitively insane I would love to hear your thoughts
I did well in school vomiting blood and blacking out, I would like to be even better this time around.

I would make sure you eat quality food, keep alcohol use limited (if possible, as parties are fun and have their own benefits), sleep well and avoid stressful people. As far as nootropics - low dose methylene blue (~1mg daily) has been shown to have nootropic effects. Anything that raises ATP also increases intelligence, so in addition to MB things like thyroid, succinic acid, the vitamins you mentioned, vitamin K, etc would be good to try.

L

lollipop

I would make sure you eat quality food, keep alcohol use limited (if possible, as parties are fun and have their own benefits), sleep well and avoid stressful people. As far as nootropics - low dose methylene blue (~1mg daily) has been shown to have nootropic effects. Anything that raises ATP also increases intelligence, so in addition to MB things like thyroid, succinic acid, the vitamins you mentioned, vitamin K, etc would be good to try.
+1

Terma

The Methylene Blue + Sarcosine combo definitely works. Though I'd take breaks (especially from the MB). That's all I got for you.

Sarcosine is not that far from RP stuff. Sure it has some correlations with cancers (so you take breaks), but it's been thought to work through glycine reuptake inhibition (though I bet it does more than that).

Some people on Longecity noticed that taking high dose of B2 before sleep increased their thinking the next day. I'm not sure it's very physiological use of it, but it didn't hurt me badly when I tried.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals