Starting My Fitness Journey With Kettlebells

halken

I just recently bought Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell! book and I just bought my first legit 16kg kettlebell from Iron Edge.

I'm looking forward it. The theory behind the kettlebell's function makes the most sense to me.

I was curious if any Peat-peeps are using this tool for fitness. What are your thoughts on the matter? I would like to get into the science of the kettlebell's functionality and weed out some of the myths against it for being a "mystical gimmick" that doesn't live up to its hype.

This article in particular highlights what I find to be an cultural misinterpretation of how one should use a kettlebell:

http://skinnybulkup.com/kettlebells-are ... dumbbells/

Let us discuss!

Joocy_J

kettle bells are good for building functional strength, but if your goal is to put on mass you will do better with barbells/dumbells

OP
halken

halken

Yea, that's what I want. I don't care about mass.

jaa

^Good advice. Make sure you know what you're doing before you start and don't go crazy right away. Figure out the technique with low weights.

Do that and you'll be fine. Kettlebells are pretty safe if you're not a moron. Exercises like turkish get ups are great for improving shoulder strength and stability.

Fletcher

Excellent tool, very convenient for home workouts, swings are a full body exercise so time efficient too. Technique is very important. I think moving up a weight is better than adding more swings, though.

dd99

You might want to check out Pavel's latest program minimum called Simple But Sinister. It's got an improved progression (EtK was a bit vague on when to increase weight) and focuses on swings and getups.

Back
Top Bottom