Starting My Fitness Journey With Kettlebells

halken

I just recently bought Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell! book and I just bought my first legit 16kg kettlebell from Iron Edge.

I'm looking forward it. The theory behind the kettlebell's function makes the most sense to me.

I was curious if any Peat-peeps are using this tool for fitness. What are your thoughts on the matter? I would like to get into the science of the kettlebell's functionality and weed out some of the myths against it for being a "mystical gimmick" that doesn't live up to its hype.

This article in particular highlights what I find to be an cultural misinterpretation of how one should use a kettlebell:

http://skinnybulkup.com/kettlebells-are ... dumbbells/

Let us discuss!

Joocy_J

kettle bells are good for building functional strength, but if your goal is to put on mass you will do better with barbells/dumbells

halken

Yea, that's what I want. I don't care about mass.

jaa

^Good advice. Make sure you know what you're doing before you start and don't go crazy right away. Figure out the technique with low weights.

Do that and you'll be fine. Kettlebells are pretty safe if you're not a moron. Exercises like turkish get ups are great for improving shoulder strength and stability.

Fletcher

Excellent tool, very convenient for home workouts, swings are a full body exercise so time efficient too. Technique is very important. I think moving up a weight is better than adding more swings, though.

dd99

You might want to check out Pavel's latest program minimum called Simple But Sinister. It's got an improved progression (EtK was a bit vague on when to increase weight) and focuses on swings and getups.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D I'm Starting To Feel Cornered Because I Haven't Been Vaccinated Society 159
C Starting Fludrocortisone - Anything I need to be aware of? Health 21
RyanHeeney I'm starting a website based on the metabolism and Dr. Ray Peat's ideas. Ray Peat Topics 28
Sam321 Progesterone: starting dose for resolving insomnia Ask For Help or Advice 18
Drareg The woke personas are starting bait threads here? Society 36
G Starting Caffeine - Lots of Health Problems - Asthma, Erectile Dysfunction, Hypertonic Pelvic Floor, Hair Loss, Anxiety/Depression Caffeine 54
T derealization since starting benzos? looking for info Health 3
S Starting Anti Glycolytic Kettlebell Training Exercise 1
C Aspirin Starting Dose? Ask For Help or Advice 10
L RP Is Anti-authoritarian But I'm Starting To View RP As An Authority And Losing My Critical Thinking Miscellaneous 49
F Supplements For Stopping Overthinking And StartIng Focusing On The Present Moment Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
Digital Samurai Sweaty Palms Ever Since Starting NDT (salt, Preg Not Helping) Natural Dessicated Thyroid 9
B Headaches, Vertigo And Cognitive Impairment After Starting 1/4 Grain NDT Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 14
cyclops Advice On Starting Testosterone Base? Hormones 72
I Approaching Mid 40's And The Wheels Starting To Fall Off? Male Issues 57
Lenny Starting With DHEA. Anything I Should Know About Before Start? Ask For Help or Advice 2
silverage New At This: Help With Starting Diet 3
D Twitching Muscles After Starting Mk4 Vitamins 37
RayPeatFan777 Pebble Poop After Starting Minocycline Ask For Help or Advice 11
A.R Starting Nicotine Gum - Will I Get Addicted? Ask For Help or Advice 13
A I’m Starting To Antibiotic Trial, Any Advice? Ask For Help or Advice 2
L Starting To Realize Literally Everything In Life Is Related To Energy/nothing Else Really Matters Miscellaneous 65
RayPeatFan777 Flakes On Scalp And Face Have Increased Since Starting Vitamin A? Asprin And K? Skin 12
SB4 Starting Testosterone Gel. Low Dose Or Doctor Prescribed Dose? Male Issues 19
J Need Some Help Guys Regarding Starting NDT Natural Dessicated Thyroid 6
A STARTING TYROMAX ON TOP OF MY IDEALABS STACK Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
N Resting Heart Rate Dropping Alot After Starting Peat Enthused Diet Metabolism 71
W Starting University Again Mental Issues 36
T Breast/chest Tissue Deflates/inflates During Starting And Stopping AI (andro) What Can This Mean? Ask For Help or Advice 5
Mreqsol Help For Memory Loss Starting Peating Ask For Help or Advice 14
Cirion Help Me To Design A Starting Plan (macros, Foods) Macros & Micros 13
D Groin Pain, Hernia. Possible From Peating? Starting To Feel Depress Ask For Help or Advice 4
S Starting Low Dose Progest-E Each Night (male) Male Issues 19
Frankdee20 Starting 10 Mg Oral Pregnenalone Pregnenolone 32
Kyle M Am Dead, Starting To Question Peat Blood Work, Labs 77
M Started Great, Now Gaining Belly Fat, Have High Blood Pressure, Starting To Feel Unwell Ask For Help or Advice 23
nikkmm Eye Problems After Starting NDT. Is This An Autoimmune Response? Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 1
L Starting To Hate Sugar Diet 50
cb4 Not Feeling Well After Starting To "Peat" Diet 16
B Advice On Connective Tissue Pain And Starting With RP Male Issues 2
T Starting With K K 9
ecstatichamster Great Cleaning After Starting Peating Oral Health 10
m_arch Starting Blood Work Blood Work, Labs 8
Y Starting Pregnenolone - One Dose Or Divided Doses? Pregnenolone 1
J Sleep Worse Since Starting Ray Peat Diet Ask For Help or Advice 23
Daimyo NDT starting dose for people without thyroid Natural Dessicated Thyroid 1
F I Personally Only Got Better After Starting To Exercise A Lot Exercise 47
Daimyo Tight feeling in the throat after starting NDT Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 8
haidut The "medical" Opinion On Cholesterol Is Starting To Reverse Health 1
M Starting Taurine Taurine 20