Starchivores, What About Oats?

Djukami

Ok, I've read plenty of times people eating 500 grams of white rice (raw), 2kg of potatoes and lastly @tyw said 400 grams of noodles as an example also. This seems to be normal.

What about oats?
Is it really unhealthy to eat 400 grams of oats per day? Has anyone tried it?
What I see as cons are the high amounts of cysteine, PUFAs, fiber and perhaps too much iron and phosphorus. Neverthess, white rice doesn't really stay behind regarding iron and phosphorus and potatoes also have tons of fiber.

Also, why do I have so much difficulties to find recipes containing oats + animal protein in the same meal? I may be really weirdo by doing that. Or perhaps I am really missing something and both at the same time do not combine well as for taste and as for digestion.

Peat once recommended oats in "Nutrition For Women" but doesn't consume them himself. I consume Scottish style oats or soaked steel cut oats. I don't think they contribute to heart disease so I don't care about some of the perceived negatives. My favorite is Scottish oats with vanilla extract/vanilla beans/maple syrup/sugar. They are another source of glucose for glycogen replenishment variety.

Last edited:

Entropy

Ray recommends to cook them for like 4o mintues ..

The phytic acid is bounded to the mineral so it's not like they're blocking nutrients from other food sources. Oats don't contain much phytase so soaking doesn't help too much unless you combined another grain high in phytase.

I did have oats today, nice with milk/cream, butter, fruit, honey etc. So I really enjoy eating porridge, although I find a large meal of oats to have a drying/sluggish affect similar to eating other high grain meals.

Oats are not Peaty. He does not consume them. But if you are a starchivore like this thread states and also a fan of Peat then welcome to the club.

Oats don't contain much phytase so soaking doesn't help too much unless you combined another grain high in phytase.

I'm not concerned with that. Oats can be sprouted like most grains:

Untitled.jpeg

Ray Peat on sprouted grains

Some claim that phytates may be benign.

Mage

Can I join the club too? I love my sprouted lentils haha

Guys, aren't oats too rich in PUFA?

tara

Also, why do I have so much difficulties to find recipes containing oats + animal protein in the same meal?
Have you had a go at making haggis? Organ meats, saturated fat, oats, herbs. :)

I eat well-cooked rolled oats from time to time. But only a moderate serving. Same with rice.

Porridge with milk is oats and protein. Even better with added stewed fruit. Milk improves calcium to phosphorus ratio. Fruit improves potassium ratio.

yerrag

He makes a vegan counterculture argument. Pretty much an apologist for vegan eating habits. It comes across as him rationalizing his food choices. Listening to him, one can dispense with the troublesome process of preparing leaves and beans, thus making it easier to live a vegan lifestyle.

It is as if non-vegans had created tons of disinformation regarding a vegan diet and he is out to "correct" myths that make a vegan lifestyle inconvenient to practice.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I love starch but I find whole grains more damaging to my digestion. But I have a history of IbS-C. Mostly cured now but I'm sure it would come back with a lot of whole grains.

OP
D

Djukami

Why didn't I check this thread anymore after cresting it?
Anyway, I was trying overconsuming them, but I can't get more than 100 grams per day. Diarrhea happens after that. Even if I eat less than 100 grams my poop becomes almost liquid and it burns like acid.
Also it gives me tons of gases, probably because of bacteria overgrowth.
My digestion is too weak to certain starches.

X3CyO

I love öats.

Just ate 4 cups.

:toiletcrapper

The phytates supposedly can be used by the body to chelate heavy metals.

D

Deleted member 5487

Use Scottish oatmeal. It's ground and much more open to digestion, gelatinzation, absorption, and cooking.

Soak it with alot of water and a lil salt in a pressure cooker, wake up and set it on high pressure for like 30mins. Add butter and honey/maple syrup and crush a glass or two of milk with it. Nothing better.

People go wrong not gelatizing it, cooking for to little of time

Last edited by a moderator:

Sativa

Dark chocolate cookie-style oat biscuits dipped in peppermint tea is my current snack...
but the oat's Ca:P ratio... ouch... (i rarely consume dairy. lots of org.celery, boiled) so i'll be having org.spinach tea later (for the Ca boost) & vit K.

There's French soft Goats cheese in the fridge... I'm planning to re-integrate that back in asap!

Perhaps Gelatin might be a good combo with the oats?

daphne134

Use Scottish oatmeal. It's ground and much more open to digestion, gelatinzation, absorption, and cooking.

Soak it with alot of water and a lil salt in a pressure cooker, wake up and set it on high pressure for like 30mins. Add butter and honey/maple syrup and crush a glass or two of milk with it. Nothing better.

People go wrong not gelatizing it, cooking for to little of time
Thanks, this sounds like the way.

abady

oats has 14% more fat than rice per 100g and half of it are pufas, Just eat rice. I eat 2 cups of rice a day its amazing fill you up better than fruits for hours and with a glass of hot cocoa milk you won't feel hungry at all for a long time.

boris

Generate a lot of endotoxins.

It has the opposite effect for me. My stools stop smelling fermented and being sticky after eating well cooked oats. Mood and creativity goes up, similar to eating penicilin. Definitely has a gut cleaning effect for me.

It has the opposite effect for me. My stools stop smelling fermented and being sticky after eating well cooked oats. Mood and creativity goes up, similar to eating penicilin. Definitely has a gut cleaning effect for me.
Do you use mushrooms or carrot salad?

SamYo123

Normal oats or oat bran?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals