Starches In Bread Boost Bacterial Growth In The Gut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has said this many times, but this study is the first one I see that focuses on bread specifically.

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/press ... robes.html

"...Their most novel finding, they said, was that white bread boosted Lactobacillus, a group of beneficial bacteria."

I think Ray also wrote that disease like Lupus are tied to the Lactobacilli, so one more reason to limit bread intake.

Wilfrid

For what it's worth, despite suffering from a very aggresive form (actually "perforating" form) of crohn's disease, I do digest and tolerate white bread perfectly or anything made with highly refined wheat product ( pasta, pancakes, waffles ect....).
I never, never had a single flare-up of my crohn's, since my surgery in 2010, while eating bread or anything made with wheat on a daily basis.
No bloating, no diarrhea, no endotoxemia....
In fact, I do better on wheat and coke/sprite than on rice and/or potatoes / fruits.
One of my favorite meal consist of organic sourdough white bread (buttered) topped with roquefort cheese or camembert cheese, coke and homemade cheesecake, plus creamed coffee. :D
But I understand that bread or anything made with wheat can be very problematic for some people.
I don't want to start a polemic here but I'm just sharing my experience with bread/wheat.

Filip1993

@wilfrid Highly refined wheat products and coke works better for me than other starches and whole fruits too. Fiber seems to be the biggest culprit. How does strained juices work for you btw?

juanitacarlos

I do well on bread too. Like you Wilfred, I have white sourdough bread pretty much daily with no negative effects. My fave is poached eggs on sourdough. Just goes to show how individual dietary requirements are.

J

j.

ttramone said:
I do well on bread too. Like you Wilfred, I have white sourdough bread pretty much daily with no negative effects. My fave is poached eggs on sourdough. Just goes to show how individual dietary requirements are.

Wouldn't sourdough bread be, as they say, a completely different animal?

Wilfrid

@Filip1993,

I can have problems even with strained juices as fruits have many polysaccharides, polyphenolics, and acids that can be irritating, or support intestinal bacterial growth and all of those substances can't be removed even with the straining process.
The most difficult part is to have access to fully ripened fruits and/or fruits that are low in fiber and irritants.
When I can get very sweet ripe oranges, I do tolerate the strained juice made from them.
I found that taking fruit/fruit juice, and only fruit/fruit juice with no added food of any kind, around 17h~18h (when the body temperature is at its peak) works better for me than taking it earlier in the day, unless I deeply cooked the fruit and then I can have it with my meals.
Long time cooking probably neutralize some of the irritating acids/polyphenolics/polysaccharides.
Right now, my only fruits are filtered watermelon juice, peach nectar from the Pago brand, lychees, longans, filtered black cherry juice, dates and abricot nectar made from a local farmer.

@ttramone,

I had never try the poached eggs stuff but will do this morning.

@j.,

:D

juanitacarlos

j. said:
ttramone said:

Wouldn't sourdough bread be, as they say, a completely different animal?

I would agree with you j. In sourdough there should be no commercial yeast, and the bran is broken down and phytic acid is minimised. Plus I do believe the starches are broken down to simple sugars. So yes, I think there would be a pretty big difference from your cheap supermarket bread.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm one that doesn't tolerate gluten but I've been enjoying homemade masa harina bread. Every ingredient is Peaty except possibly baking powder. I think you may have tried it ttramone- I use a recipe from www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com called old fashioned cornbread and use masa flour instead of regular corn flour. It's delish even if you don't have to eat gluten free! Drizzle it liberally with honey while warm from the oven and it rivals dessert.

juanitacarlos

Yes Blossom, I did try that recipe - it was good! My flatmate loved it too. I put tonnes of honey on it too, with a bit of cream on top....

I would actually actually like to do masa tortilla but every time I've tried to make it, it just doesn't turn out right. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
ttramone said:
Yes Blossom, I did try that recipe - it was good! My flatmate loved it too. I put tonnes of honey on it too, with a bit of cream on top....

I would actually actually like to do masa tortilla but every time I've tried to make it, it just doesn't turn out right. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I tried that once too and mine were too thick and virtually tasteless. I'm sure it takes practice and maybe a rolling pin :lol: to get them thin enough? Maybe plenty of salt would help too. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Also when I made the masa corn bread I had to use additional liquid (milk) because the masa flour absorbs so much! I added extra fructose in addition to the honey and it turned out great!

DaveFoster

If not for the gluten, bread would be the "safest starch," as it's absorbed so rapidly.

michael94

If not for the gluten, bread would be the "safest starch," as it's absorbed so rapidly.
Have you ever eaten a piece of seitan? It is almost pure gluten. Many times more than one would ever eat in a piece of bread or other wheat product. I think everyone who believes gluten is a major problem should try eating seitan just once as an experiment. If a bad reaction, then it would confirm the suspicions against gluten.

DaveFoster

Have you ever eaten a piece of seitan? It is almost pure gluten. Many times more than one would ever eat in a piece of bread or other wheat product. I think everyone who believes gluten is a major problem should try eating seitan just once as an experiment. If a bad reaction, then it would confirm the suspicions against gluten.
You're assuming a linear dose-response relationship for gluten.