Starch - The Delicious Devil

Cloudhands

ive been eating sprouted buckwheat groats recently, my poops are very good with them. i also ate that cereal and never had issues with it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ive been eating sprouted buckwheat groats recently, my poops are very good with them. i also ate that cereal and never had issues with it.

Sprouted grains is in a whole other food group and makes a world of difference. I bake with sprouted oats and sprouted Einkorn wheat.

Attachments

• 20211021_123127.jpg
    20211021_123127.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 12

Apple

No I don't eat tortillas. The problem with calcium balancing phosphorus is that phosphorus binds to calcium and takes it out the body so you really have double down on calcium to have enough leftover for your teeth and bones. Most people don't even get the minimum days worth much less Ray Peat's suggested amount.

"Recent studies in young women have shown that a high phosphorus diet moderately low in calcium results in a mild secondary hyperparathyroidism that persists over 4 weeks.
may I ask why not tortillas ? (favourite Dr Peat's food)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
may I ask why not tortillas ? (favourite Dr Peat's food)

Ray gave up ALL starches for about 5 years for a reason, starches CAN, not necessarily does, create a multitude of issues. I mostly don't eat masa because I can only find pure masa tortillas with guar gum, and making my own with just masa and has not been successful yet. With that being said, I am not opposed to an occasional blueberry masa pancake splurge, and love every minute of it. I find that when i eat starches they make me too relaxed and craving more of them. Sugar sources don't have that same effect. I stay energized and burn through my food quicker which enables me to fit in a lot more protein, to maintain my good muscle tone.

Apple

Ray gave up ALL starches for about 5 years for a reason, starches CAN, not necessarily does, create a multitude of issues. I mostly don't eat masa because I can only find pure masa tortillas with guar gum, and making my own with just masa and has not been successful yet. With that being said, I am not opposed to an occasional blueberry masa pancake splurge, and love every minute of it. I find that when i eat starches they make me too relaxed and craving more of them. Sugar sources don't have that same effect. I stay energized and burn through my food quicker which enables me to fit in a lot more protein, to maintain my good muscle tone.

Ray doesn't consider corn tortillas as starches , he defenitely keeps them on his menu list

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ok R&R - you convinced me to finally try it out. It’s some how just doesn’t feel right not to eat starches, probably from all the conditioning over the years. I always struggled with GI issues since a young age, I avoid gluten since it makes me feel like ***t, celiac disease still has to be excluded via biopsy (blood panel was negative. The only starch I eat is rice , but I feel like it makes me sleepy afterwards. The most I went without starch was one day. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks for the input! ?

How is your starch free diet going Sulcuscentralis?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ray doesn't consider corn tortillas as starches , he defenitely keeps them on his menu list

“Around 1988 I read Gerhard Volkheimer’s persorption article, and after doing some experiments with tortillas and masa, I stopped eating all starch except for those, then eventually I stopped those. Besides grains of starch entering the blood stream, lymph, and cerebral spinal fluid, starch feeds bacteria, increasing endotoxin and serotonin.” -Ray Peat

How is your starch free diet going Sulcuscentralis?
Hey R&rP! :) I tried to follow it as strictly ad possible, but couldn’t follow it 100% and “cheated” with rice and potatoes a few times. I still have some oxalate issues which are slowly improving so it’s hard to track symptoms, but one thing is sure - the blood sugar is more stable and I don’t need as much carbs to reach that state. The drowsiness after meals is gone. Also I’m much more calm, which I always struggled with before. Bloating is reduced also. I’ll try to follow it as much as possible, but still gonna eat comfort food while eating out on occasion (which is rare) or on family gatherings.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey R&rP! :) I tried to follow it as strictly ad possible, but couldn’t follow it 100% and “cheated” with rice and potatoes a few times. I still have some oxalate issues which are slowly improving so it’s hard to track symptoms, but one thing is sure - the blood sugar is more stable and I don’t need as much carbs to reach that state. The drowsiness after meals is gone. Also I’m much more calm, which I always struggled with before. Bloating is reduced also. I’ll try to follow it as much as possible, but still gonna eat comfort food while eating out on occasion (which is rare) or on family gatherings.

It is hard to go starch free, mostly for lack of what to eat, but cutting back is a good step. I like you kept the potatoes, but may I suggest switching out your white rice for sprouted brown rice? I added it into my family's diet in the last couple of weeks and it feels good! Being sprouted it isn't a grain, it's got lot of feel good GABA and you can do a lot with it. Warning eat it only at night, unless you have stressful days, as it is really high in calming GABA and made me pleasantly sleepy having it during the day. Here is the brand I am using.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-111956_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-111956_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 9

Apple

“Around 1988 I read Gerhard Volkheimer’s persorption article, and after doing some experiments with tortillas and masa, I stopped eating all starch except for those, then eventually I stopped those. Besides grains of starch entering the blood stream, lymph, and cerebral spinal fluid, starch feeds bacteria, increasing endotoxin and serotonin.” -Ray Peat
Here he is saying how yesterday he ate toasted taco with melted cheese. So he didn't stop eating tortillas ... no way he would give up on them.
01:06:53 - Question: Can Ray go over his week of eating?

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5zPTR4SF69hGf920G4unVn?go=1&sp_cid=ef4e204fcd03d66da79e02a261d772b6&t=12&utm_source=embed_player_p&utm_medium=desktop&nd=1

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Why is Ray pro tuber but anti-starch? Most tubers contain a large amount of starch....

He isn't necessarily pro-potato, because of the starch, but the potato has a lot to offer with good quality protein, vitamins and mineral. Starches have anti-nutrients that take mineral out of the body and needs lots of calcium to avoid that, while potatoes hold their own. In other words, grains offer nothing, sprouted grains are a different story. If you are gonna splurge on a starch he says thpotato is best and masa would be second "safest". "Safest" doesn't mean the same as "safe".

“When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.” -Ray Peat

“If you take orange juice with some fat it will be more stabilizing to your blood sugar than the grits and potatoes. Starches increase the stress hormones, interfering with progesterone and thyroid." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here he is saying how yesterday he ate toasted taco with melted cheese. So he didn't stop eating tortillas ... no way he would give up on them.

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5zPTR4SF69hGf920G4unVn?go=1&sp_cid=ef4e204fcd03d66da79e02a261d772b6&t=12&utm_source=embed_player_p&utm_medium=desktop&nd=1

He sure did say that. Just because Ray decides to have starches doesn't change the science. That is why he refries bacon in coconut oil, not because it makes it good, but it makes it less harmful. He also doesn't have digestive issues, thyroid issues, weight issue, insulin issues or mental issues, nor do I, so we like to live a little, not further destroy health like others do and wonder why they can't heal rating starches. Moral of the story is tacos are are not for everybody.

Attachments

• 20211022_150312.jpg
    20211022_150312.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat

He also SPLURGES on fermented yeast free sourdough bread too, which I posted him saying on page 25 of this thread.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I like this interview with Ray Peat from one of our members, tca300....

Me: If you don't mind me asking a question. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that you think starches are OK or even beneficial to eat, even when Fruit is available. Some are saying that super cooked starch to the point of it being wet and somewhat soggy, has beneficial effects that surpass sucrose. I was wondering if you think that stuff is accurate or is starch harmful and not ideal when compared to fruits and their sugars. Thank you!
Ray Peat: When a non-starchy fruit is available I think it’s always preferable to starch. Alkali-processed corn is the only kind that I’m willing to eat, and seldom that (e.g., corundas made with wood ashes).

Ray Peat: For people with really sensitive intestines or bad bacteria, starch should be zero.
Ray Peat: Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage..
Ray Peat: There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey Rinse, I may have missed it, but do you add frozen fruit to your meals of shrimp, meat etc -- for carbs? Do you add white sugar to the frozen fruit? Your meals look great!

I don't remember seeing you post this freyasam? In case I didn't answer, thank you for the compliment! I don't pair fruit with meats because of the vitamin C making iron absorption three times greater. I pair fruits with dairy. Jellies have most of the vitamin C destroyed.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
expand..."After decades of “education” to promote eating starchy foods, obesity is a bigger problem than ever, and more people are dying of diabetes than previously. The age-specific incidence of most cancers is increasing, too, and there is evidence that starch, such as pasta, contributes to breast cancer, and possibly other types of cancer.

The epidemiology would appear to suggest that complex carbohydrates cause diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. If the glycemic index is viewed in terms of the theory that hyperglycemia, by way of “glucotoxicity,” causes the destruction of proteins by glycation, which is seen in diabetes and old age, that might seem simple and obvious."-Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20210611_191859.jpg
    20210611_191859.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 6