Starch - The Delicious Devil

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think you are right about Peats stance on beans. or rather legumes. I don't think he has a dogmatic view on it. Firstly there's great difference between different types. He also seems quite positive to chickpeas (am I being bean-illiterate now and hummus is chickpeas? anyways). I can't personally tolerate more than a spoon of legumes like twice a week but I think Peats main point is to not rely on legumes as protein-source as some people advocate.

And there's room for individual bio-feedback :)
Although Peat says a half cup can be good for removing all kinds of stuff from the intestines he seems to say more negative things about beans than grains....
"Special preparation is needed to reduce the toxicity of seeds, and in the case of beans, these methods are never very satisfactory."- Ray Peat​

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey Rinse, I may have missed it, but do you add frozen fruit to your meals of shrimp, meat etc -- for carbs? Do you add white sugar to the frozen fruit? Your meals look great!
Gosh I am all over the map with that freyasam. If I make my crispy boiled and baked chicken wings (corn & soy free) then I will pair it with a bowl of my homemade (no cream) ice cream. If we have butter marmalade shrimp then we will each eat a half pound of it with no sides. If I make a garlic herb butter flat iron steak then we will have Mexican coke with it. I really don't put raw fruit with with meat because of the vitamin C iron combo. I put raw fruit into milk smoothies, on cheese plates or have it with a few macadamias.

Nicole W.

Gosh I am all over the map with that freyasam. If I make my crispy boiled and baked chicken wings (corn & soy free) then I will pair it with a bowl of my homemade (no cream) ice cream. If we have butter marmalade shrimp then we will each eat a half pound of it with no sides. If I make a garlic herb butter flat iron steak then we will have Mexican coke with it. I really don't put raw fruit with with meat because of the vitamin C iron combo. I put raw fruit into milk smoothies, on cheese plates or have it with a few macadamias.
Hi Rinse, you’ve referenced your (no cream) ice cream a few times and I’m wondering what is in it. Forgive me if you’ve already posted that info somewhere... I may not have seen it. Can you give us a break down of ingredients and also what your favorite flavors are?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi Rinse, you’ve referenced your (no cream) ice cream a few times and I’m wondering what is in it. Forgive me if you’ve already posted that info somewhere... I may not have seen it. Can you give us a break down of ingredients and also what your favorite flavors are?
Ask as many times as you need to Nicole! I have peppered so many things through this site I wouldn't even know where to find it! Maybe someday I will compile my hundreds of Ray Peat recipes in one place. I start with 3 cups of whole milk in my Bullet blender and add in one can of organic CHILLED sweetened condensed milk, about a tablespoon and a half of vanilla flavoring, a pinch of flaky maldon salt and let it blend through two cycles on the Bullet, to get air in. I put it in my ice cream maker for about 25 minutes, back in the freezer for 15 minutes and then back in my machine for another minute or two. Here it is and a few ways I use it. We eat A LOT of ice cream!

Attachments

• 20210110_143421.jpg
    20210110_143421.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210211_175330.jpg
    20210211_175330.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210110_145124.jpg
    20210110_145124.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210323_222136.jpg
    20210323_222136.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210123_164529.jpg
    20210123_164529.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201201_220859.jpg
    20201201_220859.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 31

Nicole W.

Ask as many times as you need to Nicole! I have peppered so many things through this site I wouldn't even know where to find it! Maybe someday I will compile my hundreds of Ray Peat recipes in one place. I start with 3 cups of whole milk in my Bullet blender and add in one can of organic CHILLED sweetened condensed milk, about a tablespoon and a half of vanilla flavoring, a pinch of flaky maldon salt and let it blend through two cycles on the Bullet, to get air in. I put it in my ice cream maker for about 25 minutes, back in the freezer for 15 minutes and then back in my machine for another minute or two. Here it is and a few ways I use it. We eat A LOT of ice cream!
Looks amazing! My mouth is watering! Have you ever included eggs in this recipe? Just curious...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Looks amazing! My mouth is watering! Have you ever included eggs in this recipe? Just curious...
I use to make my ice cream with the egg yolks on the stove, but because it is more time consuming and more fattening I don't with the ice cream. I HAVE traded out the sweetened condensed milk for a jar of CHILLED lemon curd which makes a delicious ice cream with all the egg yolks, but again it is too fattening to eat regularly. I make custard about 4 times a week, which has 2 cups whole milk, 4 egg yolks, a half cup of sugar, vanilla & salt (sometimes fresh grated nutmeg or the zest of one orange) and have it chilled for breakfast, which is exactly ice cream and takes me 5 minutes to assemble and 45 minutes to bake. I don't like my meals to take too much time cause I eat a lot and like variety.

Attachments

• 20201218_122543.jpg
    20201218_122543.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 19

Apple

What kind of ice cream maker do you recomend ?
I always wondered if it is possible to make good helado at home

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What kind of ice cream maker do you recomend ?
I always wondered if it is possible to make good helado at home
I use this one. It has a canister that you freeze.

Attachments

• 20210530_162748.jpg
    20210530_162748.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 23

freyasam

Thank you! Your recipes sound amazing.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here are some of Ray Peat's words on starch and fat loss.

Attachments

• 20210609_162011.jpg
    20210609_162011.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 66
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I was thinking about 100 years back and those old time photos, where everyone looked really unhappy, the only people that were fat in those pics were the women of the house who baked all the breads and pies. Oh gosh then they added all that butter! It is further proof of what Ray Peat says, starches and fats make people fat. We can see it even way back then!

Nicole W.

I was thinking about 100 years back and those old time photos, where everyone looked really unhappy, the only people that were fat in those pics were the women of the house who baked all the breads and pies. Oh gosh then they added all that butter! It is further proof of what Ray Peat says, starches and fats make people fat. We can see it even way back then!
And how would you account for the fact that Europeans in general, and the French and Swiss in particular, consume 58 kilos of bread per capita a year along with 23 kilos of cheese and nearly as much chocolate. They also happen to be some of the leanest populations in all of Europe.

If you follow Brad Marshall’s blog Fire in a Bottle he makes an elegant argument as to why saturated fat and starch do not make you fat. At any rate, there are other factors that contribute to obesity but I doubt it is the starch and saturated fat that are the lone culprits.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
And how would you account for the fact that Europeans in general, and the French and Swiss in particular, consume 58 kilos of bread per capita a year along with 23 kilos of cheese and nearly as much chocolate. They also happen to be some of the leanest populations in all of Europe.

If you follow Brad Marshall’s blog Fire in a Bottle he makes an elegant argument as to why saturated fat and starch do not make you fat. At any rate, there are other factors that contribute to obesity but I doubt it is the starch and saturated fat that are the lone culprits.
No starch and fat don't make you fat Nicole, they make you lean without muscles. I should know I was 106 pounds at 5'4 living on the same. It is called skinny fat. I talk about it in my thread Lose Fat Not Pounds. Like I have said many times, all through this forum, you can lose weight eating a box of Twinkies and nothing else everyday, lots of weight. Try and eat that same box of Twinkies with meat, fruit and milk and you've got a problem. We have dozens and dozens and dozens of way to lose weight. The Ray Peat science is not a weight loss diet, it is a anti-aging diet, how to be healthy, not how to look skinny. I could not eat what I ate in my 20's and do the same thing at 57 and look good, not even close!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
No starch and fat don't make you fat Nicole, they make you lean without muscles. I should know I was 106 pounds at 5'4 living on the same. It is called skinny fat. I talk about it in my thread Lose Fat Not Pounds. Like I have said many times, all through this forum, you can lose weight eating a box of Twinkies and nothing else everyday, lots of weight. Try and eat that same box of Twinkies with meat, fruit and milk and you've got a problem. We have dozens and dozens and dozens of way to lose weight. The Ray Peat science is not a weight loss diet, it is a anti-aging diet, how to be healthy, not how to look skinny. I could not eat what I ate in my 20's and do the same thing at 57 and look good, not even close!

Nicole W.

Ok! Gotcha. So what happened to your fat bread and pie makers from the 100 year old photos?

You suggest that fat and starch make a person skinny fat, but not in this case obviously.

Additionally, these women probably weren’t loading up on PUFAs, fortified flours, or HFCS.

Given that they lived long ago, these people likely worked hard. Lack of activity probably wasn’t an issue.

We rarely see fat people in old photos so I’m wondering if you have a theory about them.