Starch - The Delicious Devil

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Tha't interesting, thanks for sharing these details. With olive oil and beans it resembles mediterranean diet.
Beans are always a secret ingredient among centenarians .
Ray Peat even says a half a cup of beans a week is helpful for clearing out excess estrogens and other toxins

Tha't interesting, thanks for sharing these details. With olive oil and beans it resembles mediterranean diet.
Beans are always a secret ingredient among centenarians .
It's hard to say where the genetics end and where the "healthy eating" starts (put that in quotes because I know many peatarians would not consider my father's diet healthy). I personally think it was pretty healthy.

But I didn't share this to try to promote his diet, but just to show that it's totally possible to be healthy and still eat starches, or at least it is in ONE person's case (my father). But his starches were/are always way less processed (literally he ground his own grain to make his own bread for years and years). No deep fat frying, no white bread, hardly any sugar (I know peatarians wouldn't like that) but yes a lot of fruit and fruit juice. So...I don't think it's so simple as "starch bad, carb good". It really depends on the quality of the starch. But that's just my opinion...And depending on the health you are starting with, you may have to go with a more drastic approach. My dad's never been unhealthy so he never had any health issues to overcome.

tallglass13

Ray Peat even says a half a cup of beans a week is helpful for clearing out excess estrogens and other toxins
Rinse, I did want to thank you for putting up pictures and also contributing about your success with protein and sugar. Very motivating. I'm interested in where you read Ray talking about beans in that positive light. Karen Hurd has spoken much about beans binding to bile and clearing out old hormones especially estrogen. I actually wanted to know if Ray concurred with that view. I know he's not a fan of it being a staple, but if it has that one positive property it's good to know that we can use it as a tool. Please let me know if you know exactly where I could find that reference from Ray thank you.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you so SO much for saying that Tallglass13! I read this forum daily for 5 years before feeling ready to impart what I now know to be true. There are so many conflicting opinions nowadays on this site, compared to 5 years ago, that I feel bad for people really trying to do this right. The only way of being more convincing than the opinionated ones is to preface EVERYTHING with Ray Peats own words and show my visual proof. It really warms my heart to think it can be of help to anybody.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse, I did want to thank you for putting up pictures and also contributing about your success with protein and sugar. Very motivating. I'm interested in where you read Ray talking about beans in that positive light. Karen Hurd has spoken much about beans binding to bile and clearing out old hormones especially estrogen. I actually wanted to know if Ray concurred with that view. I know he's not a fan of it being a staple, but if it has that one positive property it's good to know that we can use it as a tool. Please let me know if you know exactly where I could find that reference from Ray thank you.
About the beans, I heard him say it in an interview with someone asking if they were ok. He said a half cup can be useful, but not necessarily recommending to eat them, but rather a half cup can have it's benefits without being a set back. Trust me after hearing that I measured out a half a cup and it did not amount to much, but I can see sprinkling in a handful in a soup not being a set back. On the other hand he says, in many places, that starch should be zero if you have digestive issues of any kind. I imagine beans are best for the young and hormonal ones.

tallglass13

Tonight I'm having filet mignon with grape jam. Can't find cranberry sauce until Thanksgiving I guess.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I will keep an out for the bean thing :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That sounds amazing! For lunch today I had sauteed wild Mexican shrimp with enchilada sauce! Here is my pic making it previously!

Attachments

• 20210202_131012.jpg
    20210202_131012.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
Rinse & rePeat
That sounds amazing! For lunch today I had sauteed wild Mexican shrimp with enchilada sauce! Here is my pic making it previously!
I make my enchilada sauce with a gelatinous bone broth from this recipe, so good and comes together in minutes!

Uselis

Fun thread ☺ Pictures makes it even better ha ha. Rinse, I never meet anybody at that age with such looks. Probably not even close lol. Way to represent theory in practice!

I've noticed that within span of several years my ability to handle starch went downhill rather quickly. First it was potatoes, then rice. Both were staples, now both change my personality for worse. Currently I feel somewhat positive with oats but I suspect it's a matter of time before I will be forced to convert myself to Peatism fully ha ha.

I'd say being about no starch requires mellow lifestyle activity wise. Not that it's been recommended here exercise yourself to early grave anyway but if one is earning his bread (or milk) with burning a good amount of calories per day no starch then becomes challenging. Not saying impossible but I am yet to find combinations that works long term.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Fun thread ☺ Pictures makes it even better ha ha. Rinse, I never meet anybody at that age with such looks. Probably not even close lol. Way to represent theory in practice!

I've noticed that within span of several years my ability to handle starch went downhill rather quickly. First it was potatoes, then rice. Both were staples, now both change my personality for worse. Currently I feel somewhat positive with oats but I suspect it's a matter of time before I will be forced to convert myself to Peatism fully ha ha.

I'd say being about no starch requires mellow lifestyle activity wise. Not that it's been recommended here exercise yourself to early grave anyway but if one is earning his bread (or milk) with burning a good amount of calories per day no starch then becomes challenging. Not saying impossible but I am yet to find combinations that works long term.
Thank you Uselis for the compliment. I have been working at bettering myself for 10 years now. First I applied myself to the blood type diet which had me take out wheat, and it took me a year to lose 10 pounds. Then I went vegetarian (for my son) and I got an extreme amount of cellulite in a matter of months from all of the grains and beans. So then I went paleo and took out ALL the grains and got thin pretty quick. By the time I jumped into Ray Peat I knew the grains were problematic for weight, hair, skin issues like liver spots and aches and pains so it wasn't that hard for me. I have been off grains for the most part about 7 years and I am very active. You just have to eat a whole lot more.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ok, after bragging about my 99 year old dad, I see this article about 107 year old woman! Watched the video and she looks pretty great for her age. Maybe we should be asking her what she eats. 107!! That's pretty dang old! (Total random tangent, but I just saw this article and it made me think of this thread.) 107-year-old Tulsa Race Massacre survivor Viola Fletcher testifies before Congress I'll stop hijacking now.
My ex-mother-in-law will be 97 next month and she looks really good too! Here is a pic of her from last weekend.

Attachments

• 20210529_113058.jpg
    20210529_113058.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 46

Eberhardt

I will keep an out for the bean thing :)
I think you are right about Peats stance on beans. or rather legumes. I don't think he has a dogmatic view on it. Firstly there's great difference between different types. He also seems quite positive to chickpeas (am I being bean-illiterate now and hummus is chickpeas? anyways). I can't personally tolerate more than a spoon of legumes like twice a week but I think Peats main point is to not rely on legumes as protein-source as some people advocate.

And there's room for individual bio-feedback :)

M

metabolizm

I asked Ray about cooked starches, and I thought his answer should be included in this thread:

Natural starches are often embedded in other materials that resist digestion as well as cooking; that can cause them to support bacterial growth.

I’m not sure what “materials” he is talking about.

I think you are right about Peats stance on beans. or rather legumes. I don't think he has a dogmatic view on it. Firstly there's great difference between different types. He also seems quite positive to chickpeas (am I being bean-illiterate now and hummus is chickpeas? anyways). I can't personally tolerate more than a spoon of legumes like twice a week but I think Peats main point is to not rely on legumes as protein-source as some people advocate.

And there's room for individual bio-feedback :)
In my experience, lentils, especially if soaked and sprouted, are quite easy to digest. Other legumes, like black beans and pinto beans feel ultra heavy in my stomach, like a brick, even if soaked and sprouted.

Yes, I think getting protein from legumes isn't a good idea. They are a good source of folate, molybdenum, fiber, so using them to get these is how I'd consume them, and you don't need a crazy amount to do that.

I asked Ray about cooked starches, and I thought his answer should be included in this thread:

Natural starches are often embedded in other materials that resist digestion as well as cooking; that can cause them to support bacterial growth.

I’m not sure what “materials” he is talking about.
Thanks for sharing.

He must be talking about fiber, right? Not sure either though.

B

Braveheart

In my experience, lentils, especially if soaked and sprouted, are quite easy to digest. Other legumes, like black beans and pinto beans feel ultra heavy in my stomach, like a brick, even if soaked and sprouted.

Yes, I think getting protein from legumes isn't a good idea. They are a good source of folate, molybdenum, fiber, so using them to get these is how I'd consume them, and you don't need a crazy amount to do that.

Thanks for sharing.

He must be talking about fiber, right? Not sure either though.
only lentils get a pass from me.....

freyasam

Hey Rinse, I may have missed it, but do you add frozen fruit to your meals of shrimp, meat etc -- for carbs? Do you add white sugar to the frozen fruit? Your meals look great!