Starch - The Delicious Devil

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The chemist Norman Pirie argued convincingly that leaf protein had much higher nutritional value than grain and bean proteins, and that it had the potential to be much more efficient economically, if it could be separated from the less desirable components of leaves.

The amino acid composition and nutritional value of leaf protein is similar to milk protein, which is understandable since cows produce milk from the amino acids produced in their rumens by bacteria digesting the leaves the cows have eaten. The bacteria perform the refining processes that Pirie believed could be done technologically, and they also degrade or detoxify the major toxins and allergens.

The nutrients produced in the cow's rumen are selectively absorbed into the cow's bloodstream, where the liver can further filter out any toxins before the amino acids and other nutrients are absorbed by the udder to be synthesized into milk. If cows are fed extremely bad diets, for example with a very large amount of grain, the filtering process is less perfect, and some allergens can reach the milk, but since sick cows are less profitable than healthy cows, dairies usually feed their cows fairly well.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Peat certainly is eating oatmeal, has spoken about this a few times. And he's eating it for the energy source in oats - the carbohydrates, and the protein.. not just to clean estrogens and bulk up stools as you're suggesting here.

Maybe listen to the interview mentioned :

When talking about Peat's current diet and what he's eating:

7:08 - Timpone - "So that would be substituting more rice and potatoes ?"
Ray Peat - "Yes, and oatmeal for breakfast"

136:14 - Timpone - " Where are you getting your protein from?"
Ray Peat - "Milk and even oatmeal has a surprising amount of protein in it"

Timpone - "Is there a big advantage to steel cut oats rather than the smashed up oats ?"
Ray Peat - "No, I don't think there's any difference as long as you cook it thoroughly".

The whole interview is worth a listen, very interesting. He talks about the rationale for lowering protein and upping carbohydrates, including starches.
Ray Peat also eats bacon, but doesn’t recommend it. It sounds like if Ray Peat jumps off a bridge everyone else is should follow him? Ray Peat has said many times he has always had difficulty keeping weight on, not to mention he has taken very good care to avoid harmful substances and digestive issues, as I have also, so at over 80 if he wants to eat bacon and oatmeal then good for him. If a person is pondering why they don’t feel good and don’t like the extra fat they are carrying around then maybe they need to pave a different path.

Starch definitely seems to be devilish to me. I wrote in another thread it bloats me. I do great with sugar. No problem what so ever. I‘ve been upping my sugar/fruit intake. But starch, is, the devil for sure

“Around 1988 I read Gerhard Volkheimer’s persorption article, and after doing some experiments with tortillas and masa, I stopped eating all starch except for those, then eventually I stopped those. Besides grains of starch entering the blood stream, lymph, and cerebral spinal fluid, starch feeds bacteria, increasing endotoxin and serotonin.” -Ray Peat
That makes perfect sense to me

I think I have to agree with you here. There’s just something about modern wheat and wheat products that don’t agree with many of us. I rarely eat pasta anymore. It bloats me terribly. Digesting it is horrible. But I definitely don’t have the same issues with rice or oats or potatoes.
It’s always the wheat. If I have any sort of bread, I do a little better on flourless, unsprouted bread like Ezekiel bread. At least I seem to. I wonder if there is a connection to the “bloat factor” of certain foods and health? Guess that might fall under an inflammation heading. Bloating = inflammation= sub par health.
I’m off the ezekiel bread now, because it WAS actually bloating me.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Starch definitely seems to be devilish to me. I wrote in another thread it bloats me. I do great with sugar. No problem what so ever. I‘ve been upping my sugar/fruit intake. But starch, is, the devil for sure
I buy the sprouted oats and they feel so much lighter.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’m off the ezekiel bread now, because it WAS actually bloating me.
The Ezekiel bread seems kind of rough. I think it having a big variety of seeds makes it more allergenic to people. Most people don’t know that they are allergic to things. My son has some grain allergies, and though he doesn’t have any reaction after eating Ezekiel bread, it is, nevertheless, taxing his system. I love it toasted with butter and marmalade!

Attachments

• D2004B03-2CC3-4B72-AFF4-45246D0A8696.jpeg
    D2004B03-2CC3-4B72-AFF4-45246D0A8696.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 11
The Ezekiel bread seems kind of rough. I think it having a big variety of seeds makes it more allergenic to people. Most people don’t know that they are allergic to things. My son has some grain allergies, and though he doesn’t have any reaction after eating Ezekiel bread, it is, nevertheless, taxing his system. I love it toasted with butter and marmalade!
Interesting…so the whole wheat, rye, barley, corn, oats, rice is highest in histamine? Funny though, I do alright with my oat bran.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting…so the whole wheat, rye, barley, corn, oats, rice is highest in histamine? Funny though, I do alright with my oat bran.
It isn’t the grains that are high in histamines, but rather a histamine reaction can be evoked in a person if they have an allergy to them. So the starch itself in sprouted bread may not be the cause. I find the more ingredients in a food increases the risk of having an issue with it.

It isn’t the grains that are high in histamines, but rather a histamine reaction can be evoked in a person if they have an allergy to them. So the starch itself in sprouted bread may not be the cause. I find the more ingredients in a food increases the risk of having an issue with it.
Hmmm, yeah maybe that’s it. I actually have an antihistamine product from Seeking Heath that I haven’t used yet. I might try it and see if it makes a difference. I don’t have the same bloating reaction to plain old white bread….

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hmmm, yeah maybe that’s it. I actually have an antihistamine product from Seeking Heath that I haven’t used yet. I might try it and see if it makes a difference. I don’t have the same bloating reaction to plain old white bread….
I would take it and then eat the Ezekiel and see if you still have bloat just to identify a possible allergen.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah, I’m going to try that.

I had a bad arm rash for months that I was grateful for because it only acted up when I ate certain things. It was a free allergy test! I tested lots of foods while I had it and found that I had reactions to pork, unsprouted brown rice, conventional chicken (but not corn & soy free chicken), and fluoride.

SamYo123

But if garret smith is right, then you would be limited to just beans and steaks

OP
Rinse & rePeat
But if garret smith is right, then you would be limited to just beans and steaks
What?! That is silly! What happened to eggs, seafood, fruits, custards, puddings, bone broth soups, well cooked vegetables, fruits, honey, ice cream, jello and such? You’re statement isn’t even arguable considering beans are a starch. ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A study that will certainly generate controversy in the low-carb blogosphere, but the findings are hard to dispute. Namely, feeding a diet for 15 weeks, in which 74.3% of the calories come from carbs in the form of starch was clearly obesogenic, caused insulin resistance and elevated blood glucose, triglycerides, and free fatty acids (FFA). Replacing 38.5% of the calories with sucrose resulted in striking insulin sensitivity, lower triglycerides, and lower free fatty acids in the blood despite the highest caloric daily intake in the high-sucrose group compared to both the normal and high-starch diet groups. And the mechanism behind these highly beneficial effects of sucrose? Increase in the resting metabolic rate by about 20%.”

“In this study, we show that mice fed a chronic high-sucrose diet do not develop obesity, primarily due to an increase of energy expenditure accompanied with increased expression levels of ChREBP and FGF21 mRNA in liver and BAT. Body weight as well as glucose metabolism is regulated by various hormones such as GLP-1, which contributes to reduction of weight gain by slowing gastric emptying and suppressing appetite [8] as well as increasing energy expenditure [10], [11]."

Reply from David90:
“Yeah it would be interesting to know what kind of Starch it was.

I also lowered my Starch Intake to around 50g Daily and increased my Sucrose/Fructose Intake. Notice my Weight is slowly even going down.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals