Starch - The Delicious Devil

Eberhardt

It is so refreshing Nicole W. to talk to someone who has my same experiences. I have hung on to my 20 year old car because I can't stand the off-gassing feeling of my husband's new cars. I wonder if that is why so many people have fibromyalgia now when it didn't even exist 50 years ago. It is a terrible feeling.
I always hated this stuff- I am not anti-society but truth be told I stay out of shops when I dont have to. I go there a couple of times a year thats enough. I find that buying used stuff and also washing upto 10 times in washing machine every cloth-item I buy helps. I have also bought a diesel car from the 90's in good shape (sold my 2012 model I had recently) it is so pleasent. No odour no problem. I also have the same problem with furniture - some sofas I cant even visit in peoples home due to the smell. I bought a well-renovated wool-couch from the 60's cheap a couple of years ago

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You might disagree with my opinion, but I suspect you’d look good regardless. You are pretty and naturally petite so it would take a lot of bad choices, not just bad dietary choices, to look horrible in old age.

People in this forum seem to forget that genetics play a significant role in appearance (and health btw), and diet only takes you so far.

If you are not an attractive person to begin with, a starch-free diet is not going to transform you into a super model, and may not even transform your health. Different strategies work for different people. It really depends on so many factors.
Thank you for the compliment Nicole, but 10+ years ago when I finally went on the Blood Type Diet and all my inflammation went away and i lost real fat, my husband started complimenting me a lot. I asked him why he didn't compliment me before and he because you didn't look good. I was shocked, and asked him why he didn't tell me that before now, and he said, "I just thought that you were just getting older, and that you couldn't do anything about it and didn't want to hurt your feeling". So no matter what we start with it doesn't mean we have to be on a fast track to old age. We can slow that train down and even go in reverse for a little ways. My hair is better than it was 10 years ago, my skin too, so we can be the best version of ourselves, even late in age, if we are more choosy about what we eat and make it count. A friend said to me recently, "Why do you two keep getting younger why we all keep getting older?" Well you know what I said. ?

Nicole W.

Thank you for the compliment Nicole, but 10+ years ago when I finally went on the Blood Type Diet and all my inflammation went away and i lost real fat, my husband started complimenting me a lot. I asked him why he didn't compliment me before and he because you didn't look good. I was shocked, and asked him why he didn't tell me that before now, and he said, "I just thought that you were just getting older, and that you couldn't do anything about it and didn't want to hurt your feeling". So no matter what we start with it doesn't mean we have to be on a fast track to old age. We can slow that train down and even go in reverse for a little ways. My hair is better than it was 10 years ago, my skin too, so we can be the best version of ourselves, even late in age, if we are more choosy about what we eat and make it count. A friend said to me recently, "Why do you two keep getting younger why we all keep getting older?" Well you know what I said. ?
Agreed. What is your blood type?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I always hated this stuff- I am not anti-society but truth be told I stay out of shops when I dont have to. I go there a couple of times a year thats enough. I find that buying used stuff and also washing upto 10 times in washing machine every cloth-item I buy helps. I have also bought a diesel car from the 90's in good shape (sold my 2012 model I had recently) it is so pleasent. No odour no problem. I also have the same problem with furniture - some sofas I cant even visit in peoples home due to the smell. I bought a well-renovated wool-couch from the 60's cheap a couple of years ago
It is getting scary Eberhardt with the chemicals on everything! I sit on our 12 year old sofa only and replaced our mattresses to stay away from the chemicals. I had no idea it had gotten so bad until we bought two new pieces of furniture, and after sitting on the one all the time I woke up one morning and I couldn't urinate. That was so scary! After two weeks of it happening on and off I traced it to the new chair. I have stayed off it since and never had a problem again. I put plastic over it for now and a blanket on top of that to have anyone sit on it until the horrible chemicals in it degrade.

Eberhardt

It is getting scary Eberhardt with the chemicals on everything! I sit on our 12 year old sofa only and replaced our mattresses to stay away from the chemicals. I had no idea it had gotten so bad until we bought two new pieces of furniture, and after sitting on the one all the time I woke up one morning and I couldn't urinate. That was so scary! After two weeks of it happening on and off I traced it to the new chair. I have stayed off it since and never had a problem again. I put plastic over it for now and a blanket on top of that to have anyone sit on it until the horrible chemicals in it degrade.
Wow! Thats a profound response!! I think I'd just thrown it out. I know from allergy-research that it usually takes 3-4 years to get the worst out and maybe about 10+ to get it all "safe"!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Personally couldn't survive without white rice (only). Partially I believe the sugar causing lower body weight is just the rise in adrenaline (which does raise metabolism/ heart rate).

As of now, I preferentially avoid non-gelatinized starches and consume them in large amounts primarily at only one or two meals per day (to avoid dental caries).

Going on a sugar-based diet made me manic and caused brain fog that was indistinguishable from normality compared to any other diet scheme (and I've done all of them except for fat-only based long enough to technically enter Keto). both abusing, and utilizing sugar in replacement amounts to starch had very similar effects. Periods tested with, and without vegetables, as well as with periods with and without caffeine, aspirin, methylene-blue, etc. multi-vitamins, K2, eggshells, and even just fruitarian with and without mono meals (all aforementioned stages included during the fruitarian stint except eggshells).

The fructose perpetually gave me horrible digestion as well as gas with and without fiber, and I tried many different kinds of generic antibiotics/methods to try and "fix" my gut so I could tolerate it.

I lost a lot of my physical strength and became more of a recluse; habituated in what was my normal lifestyle and becoming more restricted in my ways of thinking and willingness to experience the world. My grades suffered a lot during that time, and I eventually gained around 6 cavities and a root canal as someone who has only had 1 a long time ago as a kid. I couldn't seem to do it right.

I'm willing to believe it's possible to do it correctly but have yet to see solid evidence from anyone I personally consider successful outside of the nutrition field, as well as lifestyle practicality shown over a long period of time.

As for the weight factor once more: I'm pretty sure Haidut has mentioned being slightly overweight as a sign of health as you age as well. I think we need to factor in the fact that we are psychologically/sociologically primed for these artificial, temporary states of being, but are viewing a lot of this through a camera's view, and not in real life which perceptually is different, and things cannot be ascertained as well on a subconscious level.
Wow it sounds like and awful time XYCy0! I never ate sugar my whole life, just because I don't prefer sweet things, but it does give energy, and maybe if I had a younger metabolism it could have been a problem, but I support my sugar intake with a lot of protein which is key to making it work. Bottom line is starches get converted by the body into sugar so in the end they are the same. Your body doesn't seem able to process it for some reason, but that isn't sugar's fault. Here is my no starch sugar experiment showing it is very effect if you eat enough protein.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow! Thats a profound response!! I think I'd just thrown it out. I know from allergy-research that it usually takes 3-4 years to get the worst out and maybe about 10+ to get it all "safe"!
I probably would have replaced it, but I am not keen on used either. I even thought to reapholster our old furniture, but new fabrics have the chemicals too. Fortunately our new leather sofa, which has even worse off-gassing than the sofa I was sitting on, can be washed with a vinegar and water solution to get the chemicals out, whichbis what we are doing, but it is gonna take a lot of washings, but it will be okay eventually.

Eberhardt

I probably would have replaced it, but I am not keen on used either. I even thought to reapholster our old furniture, but new fabrics have the chemicals too. Fortunately our new leather sofa, which has even worse off-gassing than the sofa I was sitting on, can be washed with a vinegar and water solution to get the chemicals out, whichbis what we are doing, but it is gonna take a lot of washings, but it will be okay eventually.
I see- I hope that works. Of course it's eventually a question of money/resources. You can get textiles that isnt like that. made with natural ingredients and so on but its expensive and stressful(maybe) to have it done. I think used is fine IF you have some guarantee about how its been used- smaller items I just always deepfreeze them for three days and then wash and use.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I see- I hope that works. Of course it's eventually a question of money/resources. You can get textiles that isnt like that. made with natural ingredients and so on but its expensive and stressful(maybe) to have it done. I think used is fine IF you have some guarantee about how its been used- smaller items I just always deepfreeze them for three days and then wash and use.
Freezing? I have always loved the craftmanship of old furniture and bough many nice pieces from antique stores, and reupholstered several chairs. Most of my wood furniture comes from antique stores. I will be very buying any new furniture in the future. Even new wood furniture has off-gassing now!

Eberhardt

Freezing? I have always loved the craftmanship of old furniture and bough many nice pieces from antique stores, and reupholstered several chairs. Most of my wood furniture comes from antique stores. I will be very buying any new furniture in the future. Even new wood furniture has off-gassing now!
I assumed one of the reasons for not being keen on used was hygiene. So I solve that by freezing for minus 18C for 3 days. kills bedbugs, wallbugs and other nastyness if it should folllow along. Not all new wood furniture has - depends on producer. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I assumed one of the reasons for not being keen on used was hygiene. So I solve that by freezing for minus 18C for 3 days. kills bedbugs, wallbugs and other nastyness if it should folllow along. Not all new wood furniture has - depends on producer. :)
Ohhh! I wasn't sure how that worked with a sofa, but you are freezing smaller items? Yeah mites and other critters in used fabric is a concern. It wasn't 20 years ago though :/

Eberhardt

Ohhh! I wasn't sure how that worked with a sofa, but you are freezing smaller items? Yeah mites and other critters in used fabric is a concern. It wasn't 20 years ago though :/
no thats why I wrote smaller items I freeze lol. But if it fits in my 1meter box yes! I know same here where I live. Probably just a result of more international travel, maybe also a bit due to more poverty in the west.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
no thats why I wrote smaller items I freeze lol. But if it fits in my 1meter box yes! I know same here where I live. Probably just a result of more international travel, maybe also a bit due to more poverty in the west.
Thanks for the tips! Please add some more of them when I get my off-gassing thread up :)

Eberhardt

Thanks for the tips! Please add some more of them when I get my off-gassing thread up :)
your welcome :) I feel I might be paranoid doing it but still its not to much of a hazzle. Btw it is a fine line between off-gassing and off-"rubbing". Like with new clothes. And even all kinds of lotion and stuff. I also use an air-cleaner. I've seen some research by haidut showing that coal-filters actually produce nano-particles and might exasperate the problems over time, but it works for me for some years and not getting worse - rather I'm getting less sensitive .

OP
Rinse & rePeat
your welcome :) I feel I might be paranoid doing it but still its not to much of a hazzle. Btw it is a fine line between off-gassing and off-"rubbing". Like with new clothes. And even all kinds of lotion and stuff. I also use an air-cleaner. I've seen some research by haidut showing that coal-filters actually produce nano-particles and might exasperate the problems over time, but it works for me for some years and not getting worse - rather I'm getting less sensitive .
Oh I know about the clothing! I figured out that my clothing was causing lots of brown mole like growths. I have gotten rid all my clothing this year that is not 100% cotton.

Eberhardt

Oh I know about the clothing! I figured out that my clothing was causing lots of brown mole like growths. I have gotten rid all my clothing this year that is not 100% cotton.
I hope this doesnt scare away all other readers of this post as we are now far from starch so maybe I should stop now - I think tats interesting with the growth!! I am not 100% cotton but its hard to find socks thats not a bit elastan f.ex. Also wool, linen and leather is fine. I dont avoid synthetic it in outerclothing for winter - then I just go for non-smelly, and it doesnt touch my skin though I avoid things with flame-inhibitors, and water-proof coating. Got a rubber raincoat from the 70s ;)

Eberhardt

I hope this doesnt scare away all other readers of this post as we are now far from starch so maybe I should stop now - I think tats interesting with the growth!! I am not 100% cotton but its hard to find socks thats not a bit elastan f.ex. Also wool, linen and leather is fine. I dont avoid synthetic it in outerclothing for winter - then I just go for non-smelly, and it doesnt touch my skin though I avoid things with flame-inhibitors, and water-proof coating. Got a rubber raincoat from the 70s ;)
on starch. My experience is that starch is so much more satiating I cant have only sugars if I am doing anything physical. working manual labour or carrying a backpack. going to the gym without starch is not possible, just completel gassed out then. No other noticable bad effects though. maybe a bit worse digestion. But then again my starch is only well-boilded organic potatoes and some organic white rice. and a random a banana. thats it

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I know socks, and underclothes are hard to find in 100% cotton. Leather is not good, read up on those horrors! Yeah you're right we are derailing the thread! Hurry say something starchy! ?

Last edited:

Eberhardt

I know socks, and underclothes are hard to find in 100% cotton. Leather is not good, read up on those horrors! Yeah you're right we are derailing the thread! Say something starchy ?
depends on the leather. I buy either really old from 70s or back or directly from the makers. Not a huge part of my wardrobe though ;) But f.ex. I have russian military leather boots from the cold war - their good!. On starch see above ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals