"Starch stimulates appetite, promotes fat synthesis by...

narouz

Ray Peat in
Diabetes, Scleroderma, Oils and Hormones
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml

The starch-based diet, emphasizing grains, beans, nuts, and vegetables, has been promoted with a variety of justifications. When people are urged to reduce their fat and sugar consumption, they are told to eat more starch. Starch stimulates the appetite, promotes fat synthesis by stimulating insulin secretion, and sometimes increases the growth of bacteria that produce toxins. It is often associated with allergens, and according to Gerhard Volkheimer, whole starch grains can be "persorbed" from the intestine directly into the blood stream where they may block arterioles, causing widely distributed nests of cell-death. I have heard dietitians urge the use of "complex carbohydrates" (starch) instead of sugar. In the first physiology lab I took, we fed rats a large blob of moist cornstarch with a stomach tube, and then after waiting a few minutes, were told to dissect the rat to find out "how far the starch had gone." In such a short time, we were surprised to find that not a trace of the starch could be found. The professor's purpose was to impress us with the rapidity with which starch is digested and absorbed. Various studies have demonstrated that starch (composed of pure glucose) raises blood glucose more quickly than sucrose (half fructose, half glucose) does. The sudden increase of blood glucose is sometimes thought to contribute to the development of diabetes, but if it does, it is probably mediated by fat metabolism and the hormones other than just insulin.

pete

Re: "Starch stimulates appetite, promotes fat synthesis by..

My eyes hurt ...

OP
N

narouz

Try again, pete.
I tamed it.

Attachments

• handydandy2.jpg
    handydandy2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 50

Birdie

This is one of my very favorite Peat quotes. It has been a key to stopping my weight gain and finally losing the 10 that I gained at the beginning of the year.

Starch def stimulates my appetite. I have also found that muscle meat often stimulates my appetite.

Appetite stimulators are my enemies.

OP
N

narouz

Birdie said:
This is one of my very favorite Peat quotes. It has been a key to stopping my weight gain and finally losing the 10 that I gained at the beginning of the year.

Starch def stimulates my appetite. I have also found that muscle meat often stimulates my appetite.

Appetite stimulators are my enemies.

We may be the only posters here, Birdie, who share this basic take on Peat and starch.
I just can't overlook the pervasive anti-starch statements in Peat's work.
I don't want to demonize them or argue that they should be completely banned
from a legit Peat diet.
But I really think one has to be careful with them, even the Peat Preferred ones.
Most are so cavalier about giving them a prominent place in Peatdom.

OP
N

narouz

Add nwo2012 to that list, Birdie.
I think he has a healthy distrust for starches.
He likes his abs to show! :)

kiran

It's good to have these things pointed out sometimes. Time to get back to using OJ+sugar syrup and abandon the rice. :|

Nick810

Hmmm.... so is that why when I eat "Nature Chips" in the morning (potato+coconut oil+salt), I'm starving all day?

gabriel79

Hi Narouz,
Regarding starches.. I believe I may not be the only one in that situation; but I mostly eat starches because of their lower price per calorie compared to fruit. If I had to rely my carb sources on fruit alone it would be too expensive at least where I live, where fruit is not cheap. So, while I try to stay away from flour and rice, I include potatoes at lunch and dinner.
So, consider that many may eat starches not because they believe it´s optimal, but for convenience.

OP
N

narouz

gabriel79 said:
Hi Narouz,
Regarding starches.. I believe I may not be the only one in that situation; but I mostly eat starches because of their lower price per calorie compared to fruit. If I had to rely my carb sources on fruit alone it would be too expensive at least where I live, where fruit is not cheap. So, while I try to stay away from flour and rice, I include potatoes at lunch and dinner.
So, consider that many may eat starches not because they believe it´s optimal, but for convenience.

I understand, gabriel.
And you raise an interesting notion:
does Peat have...what to call it?...
an anti-elitist disposition?
This is something I've been wondering about.
Without going into it deeply here,
I've wondered what explains why he seems to be more inclusive of starches
when he speaks to people in private consultations
than when he speaks generally in his published stuff.
One explanation might be that, in theory, he views certain foods as more ideal,
but, in practice and personally, he has sympathy for those of us without unlimited food funds.
And so he doesn't want to make people feel bad
for doing the best they can under their circumstances.

Personally, and even though I too have to be spending-conscious,
my main reason for eating starches like potato, rice, masa harina,
is that they are delicious and satisfying (and cheap!).
But I feel slightly guilty when I do
because I really don't think they are very good for me.
My primary suspicion is that they make me fat.

Oh yeah: I think another reason Peat may be starch-inclusive
in private consultations,
and even qualifiedly starch-okay elsewhere,
is simply the recognition that "his" best foods are not available,
all the time, everywhere.
So I might think that he has an inclusive, global disposition.

Ray-Z

One Peatian benefit of potatoes: They are a terrific delivery vehicle for salt and butter or coconut oil. :D I get very warm after eating mashed potatoes with lots of salt and CO.

I also find potatoes to be very convenient (easy to find and prepare in bulk) and filling. I am of course open to the possibility that potatoes fill me up only because I eat them in vast quantities. :D

I definitely have done more than my share of fat synthesis over the years, so I will be trying to shift from potatoes to more fruit in the coming weeks...

OP
N

narouz

Ray-Z said:
One Peatian benefit of potatoes: They are a terrific delivery vehicle for salt and butter or coconut oil. :D I get very warm after eating mashed potatoes with lots of salt and CO.

I also find potatoes to be very convenient (easy to find and prepare in bulk) and filling. I am of course open to the possibility that potatoes fill me up only because I eat them in vast quantities. :D

I definitely have done more than my share of fat synthesis over the years, so I will be trying to shift from potatoes to more fruit in the coming weeks...

I know what you mean!
I do the same thing when I have potatoes:
lots of salt and coconut oil--and butter.

I don't think the pro-metabolic effect of the coconut oil
offsets the fat synthesizing power of the potatoes, though...sadly. :cry:

nwo2012

narouz said:
Add nwo2012 to that list, Birdie.
I think he has a healthy distrust for starches.
He likes his abs to show! :)

Absolutely. We do maybe a couple of servings of potatoes and same for tortillas per week. Thats all the starch. In fact Ive had no starch this past week at all, except for whats in carrot salad.

Ray-Z

narouz said:
I don't think the pro-metabolic effect of the coconut oil
offsets the fat synthesizing power of the potatoes, though...sadly. :cry:

My waistline offers ample evidence for your conclusion. :lol:

Birdie

Nickje said:
Hmmm.... so is that why when I eat "Nature Chips" in the morning (potato+coconut oil+salt), I'm starving all day?

That would really do it for me! Long ago it was muffins for breakfast. Huge hunger within an hour.

OP
N

narouz

"Per calorie, sugar is less fattening than starch, partly because it stimulates less insulin, and, when it's used with a good diet, because it increases the activity of thyroid hormone. There are several convenient indicators of the metabolic rate--the daily temperature cycle and pulse rate (the temperature should rise after breakfast), the amount of water lost by evaporation, and the speed of relaxation of muscles (Achilles reflex relaxation)."
-Ray Peat

OP
N

narouz

"Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat."
--Ray Peat

J

j.

narouz, you already knew that, right? I think I learned about it from you.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
narouz, you already knew that, right? I think I learned about it from you.

j-
Yes, the general notion.
But I don't think I've posted that specific quote from Peat on the topic.
Just kinda making this a compendium for all things Peat on Starch.... :)

Birdie

narouz- I didn't read this post of yours before..
Oh yeah: I think another reason Peat may be starch-inclusive
in private consultations,
and even qualifiedly starch-okay elsewhere,
is simply the recognition that "his" best foods are not available,
all the time, everywhere.
So I might think that he has an inclusive, global disposition.

Yes that makes sense.

And what you said about his faulting starches more in his articles or newsletters is interesting. There he talks about what's really best, as I think you say.
But when he answers questions in interviews, he meets the person rather than saying that everything the person believes is wrong, he gives them something to think about.

I really like that. He doesn't alienate people. Even the sugar lady didn't get a lecture. The lady who said that she knew sugar was awful for you and her son used too much. He directed her thinking toward a reason her son might crave sugar... hypothyroidism.