Starch; Libido & Hormones

Sobieski

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with starch and how it affects libido and hormones. Many of us here swear by starch and others amongst us hate it.

For me personally, the more starch I consume, the lower my libido is and the less androgenic I 'feel'. In other words, I feel more passive, less motivated in general and less motivated by sex. I feel more physically 'fragile', joints hurt and I tire easier. Some starches such as white rice have a pretty much neutral effect, whereas others such as whole wheat only require a small quantity to completely wipe out any semblance of libido. Zero nocturnal and morning erections, no sexual desire. Cut out starches, and it's the opposite.

The benefits I do seem to get from them is cheap, convenient calories and a calming, anti stress effect, not to mention they are delicious. I find it strange that these negative effects seem to happen as so many thriving, industrious cultures and empires are built on heavy starch consumption. I hope to eventually find a way to make them work but at the moment I'm sticking to dairy, oj and sugar for my carbs.

raypeatclips

"Starch" is too blanket of a phrase IMO. Just like you said above, I have problems if I eat bread, despite trying to find cleaner sources, it causes me gut pain and issues. Rice however, is absolutely fine, none of the same symptoms that I experience with bread, yet they are both "starch". People like quoting studies that used raw starch to show effects of persorption, again this doesn't seem relevant to well boiled rice/potatoes, yet they are both "starch."

Simply saying "starch" is no good is too simplistic. Even Peats quote of "starch should be zero for those with digestive issues" is far too simplistic and narrow minded, as much as I respect and admire the guy. If you Google people with IBS/IBD/gut issues, their "fall back" diet to bring them back to normality when things are bad is often based around rice, sometimes another starch. If rice/starch was so incredibly disastrous, surely this would not be possible for them.

Of course if bread is bad for you, don't eat it, if you don't feel good on starch, and feel good without it, then don't eat it. But people simply demonising starch because of a few Peat quotes, but when they eat it have no negative effects, and admit they enjoy eating it, seems absolutely bonkers.

OP
S

Sobieski

Yes I completely agree. Potatoes, rice and whole wheat pasta all fall under starch yet induce different effects (on me). Hence why I'm interested in people's various experiences. Thank you for your input.

Wagner83

Wacky potatoes and white jasmine rice if cooked perfectly are great as long as I eat them at the right time and do not add too much fat. So far they don't work if my digestion slows but I've not been able to understand why at times it slows and at times I'm flying (with a very similar if not equal diet).

lvysaur

what exactly is the status of bananas? How much glucose/fructose/starch?

BibleBeliever

Potatoes for the last while have been great, giving good muscular power and strength; yellow seems to be the best so far.

It took a while to get potatoes to process well. Before that they would cause crystal deposits usually in my upper back region, extreme digestive irritability and mental irritation; probably from the digestive irritation.
Cooking them for at least an hour in spring water; making sure they are peeled; and peeling off even more if there is even any hint of tiny sprouts is what has solved the issue. I consume them usually with butter/coconut oil and now trying shea butter too. Lots of salt too, to help balance the potassium.

The bonus of cooking them at least an hour is its easy adding some white button mushrooms for their anti estrogenic effects. (they never processed well either, but cooking them at least an hour makes them react well)

White rice causes a bit of fatigue and a bit of inflammation.
Grains in all forms that I try, even soaking and long cooking, trying to vary methods produce extreme fatigue and weakness with a lot of irritability.

Tried bananas as a staple too; cooking them as long as possible when as ripe as possible in coconut oil; always a very terrible effect. Often became so weak after I went into extreme deep sleeps, as I felt very faint. The only counter that worked was a few tablespoons of salt.

raypeatclips

Potatoes for the last while have been great, giving good muscular power and strength; yellow seems to be the best so far.

It took a while to get potatoes to process well. Before that they would cause crystal deposits usually in my upper back region, extreme digestive irritability and mental irritation; probably from the digestive irritation.
Cooking them for at least an hour in spring water; making sure they are peeled; and peeling off even more if there is even any hint of tiny sprouts is what has solved the issue. I consume them usually with butter/coconut oil and now trying shea butter too. Lots of salt too, to help balance the potassium.

The bonus of cooking them at least an hour is its easy adding some white button mushrooms for their anti estrogenic effects. (they never processed well either, but cooking them at least an hour makes them react well)

White rice causes a bit of fatigue and a bit of inflammation.
Grains in all forms that I try, even soaking and long cooking, trying to vary methods produce extreme fatigue and weakness with a lot of irritability.

Tried bananas as a staple too; cooking them as long as possible when as ripe as possible in coconut oil; always a very terrible effect. Often became so weak after I went into extreme deep sleeps, as I felt very faint. The only counter that worked was a few tablespoons of salt.

When you say you notice inflammation from rice, what exactly do you notice? You seem very in tune with your responses to food,

Madato

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with starch and how it affects libido and hormones. Many of us here swear by starch and others amongst us hate it.

For me personally, the more starch I consume, the lower my libido is and the less androgenic I 'feel'. In other words, I feel more passive, less motivated in general and less motivated by sex. I feel more physically 'fragile', joints hurt and I tire easier. Some starches such as white rice have a pretty much neutral effect, whereas others such as whole wheat only require a small quantity to completely wipe out any semblance of libido. Zero nocturnal and morning erections, no sexual desire. Cut out starches, and it's the opposite.

The benefits I do seem to get from them is cheap, convenient calories and a calming, anti stress effect, not to mention they are delicious. I find it strange that these negative effects seem to happen as so many thriving, industrious cultures and empires are built on heavy starch consumption. I hope to eventually find a way to make them work but at the moment I'm sticking to dairy, oj and sugar for my carbs.

Do you consume gluten?

Vinero

Starches are pro-libido as long as you combine them with protein, saturated fats and salt, and avoid gut-irritating starches which raise serotonin.

Last edited:

aarfai

how do you guys rate well cooked potatoes? looking for feedback as I have mixed feelings about them

Libido has more to do with how attracted you are to your partner(s) than anything else.

And how frequently you mausturbate.

Also, blaming just one food or type of food could ignore many other things you're eating/taking/doing that could cause it.

The Peat answer here would be stop consuming starch in all forms and try fruit, fruit juice, low fat lactose, non-allergenic honey and some pure sucrose as your carbohydrate sources.

Lilly

W
Libido has more to do with how attracted you are to your partner(s) than anything else.

Also, blaming just one food or type of food could ignore many other things you're eating/taking/doing that could cause it.

The Peat answer here would be stop consuming starch in all forms and try fruit, fruit juice, low fat lactose, non-allergenic honey and some pure sucrose as your carbohydrate sources.
I disagree. One food or one type of food matters a lot if you react badly to it and eat it every day. My world completely changed when i stopped gluten because I am celiac and only without gluten my body started actually absorbing nutrients. Also, a banana is one food I always avoid because of the amount of irritation and blood pressure problems it always gives me. So, 1 banana can sky rocket my serotonin and as a result I am sick, nauseous, bloated, not at all interested in sex. Whereas without it...;)

OP
S

Sobieski

I've been with my partner for many years. She's very attractive and we have a good sex life. However, without a doubt certain foods can completely kill my libido and desire for intimacy. The first sign is no nocturnal/morning erections. When I go high saturated fat, high sugar, no starch, I have the libido and stamina of a teenager. I'm also noticeably larger downstairs when flaccid as well. I've experimented many times, where the only variable I change is introducing starch (as I said in the original post; white rice has a neutral effect) and after 1-2 days, same thing every time. It's a shame because I love the taste of starches (especially whole grains), and the calm, clear headed effect I get from them, but it's at the expense of my own virility. I have no idea why this seems to happen. I'm not arguing with anyone here, just sharing personal experience.

BibleBeliever

When you say you notice inflammation from rice, what exactly do you notice? You seem very in tune with your responses to food,
Sometimes it causes inflammation on the right side. Sometimes the stomach feels bloated, and at its worse like I have concrete inside of me.
It is very noticeable if I ever go and press truck tires overhead, or take 1 in each hand and do farmer walks with them; the pressures on the insides (that concrete feeling) becomes very potent. It is relieved once the bowels are empty.
Another exercise that really helps show the negatives of bloating is push ups; the feeling is immediate.
In contrast if I eat a food that digests well, I can train all I want and feel none of this.

Another variable I forgot to mention; I used to cook in a big aluminum pot. I now use a high quality stainless steel.

raypeatclips

Sometimes it causes inflammation on the right side. Sometimes the stomach feels bloated, and at its worse like I have concrete inside of me.
It is very noticeable if I ever go and press truck tires overhead, or take 1 in each hand and do farmer walks with them; the pressures on the insides (that concrete feeling) becomes very potent. It is relieved once the bowels are empty.
Another exercise that really helps show the negatives of bloating is push ups; the feeling is immediate.
In contrast if I eat a food that digests well, I can train all I want and feel none of this.

Another variable I forgot to mention; I used to cook in a big aluminum pot. I now use a high quality stainless steel.

Interesting, I have noticed those exact symptoms too, although never from rice. A burning sort of pain on my lower right abdominal area was the most distressing. I have mentioned this earlier, but I noticed that increasing vegetables has completed fixed this pain for me (as well as avoiding too much bread.) Do you eat much vegetables?

BibleBeliever

Interesting, I have noticed those exact symptoms too, although never from rice. A burning sort of pain on my lower right abdominal area was the most distressing. I have mentioned this earlier, but I noticed that increasing vegetables has completed fixed this pain for me (as well as avoiding too much bread.) Do you eat much vegetables?
I have tried varying vegetables besides potatoes and mushrooms, but without any success. They usually cause terrible bloating, intestinal irritation, muscular weakness and non-ideal waste.
I have tried small amounts, varying cooking methods and all the like, but never with much success.

jet9

How is your sleep?

I also found that starch has bad effect for me. Grains are the worst, rice in the middle, tubers are the best but still not perfect.
Problem is that if i eat only fruits as carbs i can't sleep. That's why i am forced to include potatoes/sweet potatoes before bed.

What do you eat for dinner?

jet9

I have tried varying vegetables besides potatoes and mushrooms, but without any success. They usually cause terrible bloating, intestinal irritation, muscular weakness and non-ideal waste.
I have tried small amounts, varying cooking methods and all the like, but never with much success.
Had similar experience, what fixed issue for me is eating vegetables in the AM (breakfast and sometimes lunch) and never for dinner.
There are still some problematic ones like cabbage, brocoli. But things like romaine lettuce, spinach are easy.

YourUniverse

How is your sleep?

I also found that starch has bad effect for me. Grains are the worst, rice in the middle, tubers are the best but still not perfect.
Problem is that if i eat only fruits as carbs i can't sleep. That's why i am forced to include potatoes/sweet potatoes before bed.

What do you eat for dinner?
This has been my experience as well, including your ordering, except I also sleep better without them

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals