Starbucks On The Run

JDW

OK, so it's probably not the greatest but occasionally with toting kids all over the place, I find myself hungry and I'm without food. So, I figured a Starbucks latte is mostly 2% milk with a couple shots of espresso. Aside from not having any fruit (I suppose I could buy one if their apples, too) I figured this would be a good idea. Then I checked on the ingredient list for their vanilla syrup:

SUGAR, WATER, NATURAL FLAVORS, PRESERVATIVE: POTASSIM SORBATE (E202), CITRIC ACID (E330), COLOR: CARAMEL (E150d).

Any thoughts? I know Coca-Cola has carmel color, so I assume that's OK. But, should I be super worried about the "natural flavors" and the other two ingredients? I've heard vanilla is OK and I've heard vanilla is bad. Did I just drink my last vanilla latte or can I have them as a treat once in a while?

kettlebell

I had a starbucks yesterday - Double Espresso, 5 sugars, wallop.

That preservative doesnt look nice. Not sure about the citric acid. The caramel is ok (Same one in coca cola in the uk)

jaketthomas

It's always safest to go with sugar packets, over flavored syrups and fancy stuff. I'm a big Starbucks fan, and while I appreciate the fancy-schmancy drinks they have, I'm good for a tall regular coffee, light and sweet. Then of course, make sure to walk around arrogantly drinking it, showing people I shop at Starbucks. :)

jyb

What I dislike with these chains is when the hot coffee is served in these plastic cups. Especially when heated these plastics leach chemicals known to be endocrine disruptors.

jaketthomas

I have a friend who is a pro baseball player, and he was tweeting about Starbucks and how happy he was that they came out with their reusable cup. I sent him a whole bunch of data about how bad it is to drink coffee out of plastic, and he ended up telling his whole team about it. :):

pboy

The sad thing is almost all coffee people consume in American is from fluoridated water, decanted in a plastic reservoir, not organic, and served hot in a plastic cup.
That's like a cocktail of endocrine disruptors. If it wasn't for coffees inherent robust nature and beneficial compounds and the fact that its a filtered beverage I think the consequence would be even worse. Go with a glass French Press, they're just as easy and quick and easy to clean. I dunno what Starbucks uses but at least you can use a non plastic cup to avoid a good portion of the disruptors.

jaketthomas

Totally right. People don't seem to understand that conventional coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed foods we put into our bodies. All pesticides are estrogenic, and non-organic coffee is loaded with them. I always choose organic, shade-grown coffee, when I make coffee at home. Coffee, when it's grown in the shade like it should be, doesn't require pesticide use, because it's a strong crop.

judi

(from an email exchange in 2011)
Ray Peat said:
Organic coffee is preferable (in the coffee orchards I have seen no pesticides were needed), but the roasting process probably eliminates any added chemicals.

I'm still skeptical though.

Jenn

Potassium sorbate is an avoid. Citric acid is an avoid too if you have cancer. I don't know why, I forgot to ask.
That said, fueling the body is important, so sometimes you do what you can. Natural flavor is an msg equivalent.

Austin

jaketthomas said:
Totally right. People don't seem to understand that conventional coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed foods we put into our bodies. All pesticides are estrogenic, and non-organic coffee is loaded with them. I always choose organic, shade-grown coffee, when I make coffee at home. Coffee, when it's grown in the shade like it should be, doesn't require pesticide use, because it's a strong crop.

Great info Jake, thanks. May I ask what brand of coffee you drink?

TreasureVibe

Potassium sorbate is an avoid. Citric acid is an avoid too if you have cancer. I don't know why, I forgot to ask.
That said, fueling the body is important, so sometimes you do what you can. Natural flavor is an msg equivalent.
Why is potassium sorbate an avoid?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom