Stainless Steel Leaches Nickel And Chromium Into Foods During Cooking

tara

pboy said:
pots..and pans? what is this the dark ages?!?!?

( I kid, but its funny I haven't used a pot in months now)

you can just use a enamel coated pot like a dutch oven kinda thing

I heard, but I don't know if it's true, that the enamel ones often have lead under the enamel. Which would be fine, until it chips. That might be old ones, not new, though?

mt_dreams

Who knows someone who can read Korean? I would love to know what the mag is treated with to make it hard & slippery.

XPlus

Another one of those threads that took the turn to premature closure.

I've a thing for stir frying and I had a dream of owning a carbon steel wok but after reading this I'm undecided.
I use a stainless steel pan for my high heat stir frying but I end up with half boiled food.
It's not bad but I'm looking for that Chinese restaurant quality in my stir fries.
Now shouldn't the seasoning of the wok prevent leaching.

Someone ask Peat for G's sake.

btw, those full ceramic pans are good but they take the joy out of cooking :(
So unless you really really find cooking a chore, don't buy one.

jyb

Another one of those threads that took the turn to premature closure.

I've a thing for stir frying and I had a dream of owning a carbon steel wok but after reading this I'm undecided.
I use a stainless steel pan for my high heat stir frying but I end up with half boiled food.
It's not bad but I'm looking for that Chinese restaurant quality in my stir fries.
Now shouldn't the seasoning of the wok prevent leaching.

Someone ask Peat for G's sake.

btw, those full ceramic pans are good but they take the joy out of cooking :(
So unless you really really find cooking a chore, don't buy one.

For frying and that kind of cooking, there are glass pans. Not expensive and, at least where I live, extremely easy to buy online. Where it gets more complicated is for pressure cooking, or other dishes that require a pan with a particular shape/size/texture.

Frying in glass?

what-could-possibly-go-wrong.jpg

jyb

Frying in glass?

A glass frying pan is made for frying temperatures. I never broke mine by frying. What could break it however, are sudden temperature changes (for example, if you had been frying some coconut oil on the bottom, and dumped some water, then the splash will contact some areas of the pan that were not hot and this may create a crack.

XPlus

Does that work for Chinese stir frying. I thought glass is a poor conductor of heat.

jyb

Does that work for Chinese stir frying. I thought glass is a poor conductor of heat.

Indeed it will take more time to heat up. The temperature will be the same after a while, but it's not as immediate as the usual thin steel/aluminium pans. I have used glass pans for years without problem but not to the level of frying Chinese food require. I would recommend you first checking for testimonials for a particular product to check that it is intended for the particular cooking you want. I personally do not worry about the glass models I have as long as I use them as intended.

That's the thing, if it heats slowly one part will be cold and one will be hot...

mt_dreams

If anyone ends up choosing glass, attempt to buy european glass (borosilicate) as the american glass is much more likely to shatter on you.

I'm intrigued about clay earthware cooking. There's pots that can tolerate stovetops, and they're free of lead, cadmium & arsenic. I doubt they will work for stirfry, but these seems great for anything else.

ilikecats

Does anyone think a significant amount of nickel can be absorbed from playing guitar? Guitar strings are made out of nickel

Travis

Does anyone think a significant amount of nickel can be absorbed from playing guitar? Guitar strings are made out of nickel
You can get brass‐wound strings, or nylon‐coated steel (both still magnetic). Or, you can coat them in oil; this prevents oxidation and there is even oil sold for this express purpose (though it reduces 'grab').

Travis

I would love to find borosilicate glass cookware. I would fly to Europe to buy it. Does it actually exist?
Yes. I have a large borosilicate saucepan. You can tell it has no thermal expansion because I've filled it with cold water while hot, without cracking. I have no idea where this thing came from, but they have been made in the past (at least once). This is the only think I ever use with the stove besides the tea kettle (though I rarely cook).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom